dos

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

qqq
x2

dos

Post by qqq » Wed, 29. Oct 03, 14:40

To all techheads.Is it possible to run dos games such as Privateer the Darkening. on WinXP?If so how--in simple terms?

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Wed, 29. Oct 03, 14:51

look here:

Privateer on XP

But I still can't play Privateer (1) on XP,
The Darkening should work...

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 29. Oct 03, 16:36

Dual booting XP with 98 is very useful for this sorta thing - lets you play all your old games.

[ramble]Oh, DOS, how I loved it.... totally impossible for a non-tech-head to screw up, because the functions were impossible to stumble upon....[/ramble]
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Purp
x3

Post by Purp » Wed, 29. Oct 03, 16:48

May seem like a really silly question, but...

I have XP on 3 machines. I want to do what you were saying (dual boot) on one of them. (I have a W98 SE CD somewhere)

1) Do I need to reformat the entire drive?

If no, how can I achieve this, only have the one partition at the moment.

Many thanks

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.

Post by AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. » Wed, 29. Oct 03, 17:49

Commander X of Lave wrote:May seem like a really silly question, but...

I have XP on 3 machines. I want to do what you were saying (dual boot) on one of them. (I have a W98 SE CD somewhere)

1) Do I need to reformat the entire drive?

If no, how can I achieve this, only have the one partition at the moment.

Many thanks
just get yourself partition magic or maybe a free prog,as most will all do it for you.

a few things to remember are that
you need to upgrade drivers twice,one for 98 and one for xp
you need to make a boot disk
you need to allow enough space on both partitions for future installs etc
benchmarking is a blast as you can do it twice
games will run better on one than the other so theres always a second chance at extra FPS

and turn off drive mirroring etc and any other progs from XP that dont run on 98.

its fun and very educational running 2 or more OS`s too.

ps...missed a point or two

always allow winxp to partition if it can handle it,and keep the same fat system on both partitions.

also keep a good supply of fresh underwear and a big bag of sweeties :lol:

another ps...
when the bootdisk is created copy the boot.ini from root dir to floppy too,as sometimes its get corrupted and you`ll get booted to win98 by default.

boot options are handled from winxp too,simply set it too the prefered OS you wanrt to boot from,enabling startup menu helps too.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 29. Oct 03, 18:57

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. wrote:and keep the same fat system on both partitions.
Actually, I didn't - the XP runs it's default File System, while '98 uses FAT32. For me this helps with HD performance under XP - every little helps. Also the XP FAT (can't remember it's name off-hand) has a few functions that FAT32 does not.

This does mean, however, that my XP partition is invisible when running 98, but IMO that helps me stop getting confused with various bits. :)
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.

Post by AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. » Wed, 29. Oct 03, 19:55

esd wrote:
AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. wrote:and keep the same fat system on both partitions.
Actually, I didn't - the XP runs it's default File System, while '98 uses FAT32. For me this helps with HD performance under XP - every little helps. Also the XP FAT (can't remember it's name off-hand) has a few functions that FAT32 does not.

This does mean, however, that my XP partition is invisible when running 98, but IMO that helps me stop getting confused with various bits. :)
oops...yup missed that bit.

the reason is that when updating drvs i like to drop the xp drvs to the xp partition and vice versa.

when i ntfs the xp drv i couldnt drop nowt there and was a pain trying to install wrong drvs to wrong system,as the drv names sometimes are so damn close twix xp and 98 its a pain...and when xp accepts 98 drvs without a warning i found out the hard way that some install but none work and the dread BSOD was all over the place.

but the xp fat sys is without a doubt better than fat32 but theres a price to pay till they update 98 to run it,...which i dont think will ever happen as drv production and tweaks for 98 has stopped at the ms end.

"fingers cramping up" :lol:

another edit:
i forgot the online security issues too with a dual boot.

always use ONE OS to access net,that way its easy to keep a tab on the anti spam or anti virus side of it.

Return to “Off Topic English”