A question for CBJ

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should the X3 expansion or X4 be an internet game?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 68

Syndrome
x3tc

A question for CBJ

Post by Syndrome » Mon, 29. May 06, 09:40

CBJ, is the X3 expansion or X4 going to be a internet game. Whatever the answer, I'm opening up a poll to see what people think about weather it should be a net game or not.

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Mon, 29. May 06, 09:46

No. anything but that :shock: :x
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

Bugzor
x3

Post by Bugzor » Mon, 29. May 06, 09:55

Maybe a SP/MMO selection feature may work? I see how people wouldn't like the MMO..But then again... If it was put together on a number of small servers it'd be kinda fun... SP gets tedious and lifeless in my opinion.. Maybe a Multiplayer option would breath a little life into the game for some players...
Oh well
This is my signature.
Ich bin der Vogelmeister!! Ich zerquetsche Ihren Schädel!!!!

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Mon, 29. May 06, 10:07

why just obe expansion, mmog is one option, deathmatch another, assualt the khaak another, last man flying, etc etc.

personally, i like good stories, just watched serenity and I would love that kind of storyline in a game.

So I can't vote, i think both, resources permitting.
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 29. May 06, 10:44

X online is not going to happen for a few years yet and personally I think its a good thing. there is plenty to get sorted in the offline universe first.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 29. May 06, 10:44

I seriously doubt that the expansion will have any multiplayer functionality. Egosoft are currently working on X-Online, but it's in the very very early stages. It has a guessed (by no-one in particular) ETA of between 2010 and 2020.

Personally, I'm not interested in multiplayer for X. It's a solo experience for me.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Mon, 29. May 06, 11:29

esd wrote:I seriously doubt that the expansion will have any multiplayer functionality. Egosoft are currently working on X-Online, but it's in the very very early stages. It has a guessed (by no-one in particular) ETA of between 2010 and 2020.

Personally, I'm not interested in multiplayer for X. It's a solo experience for me.
I agree the x games should remain as they are like Oblivion.

And X Online will not be an expansion but an entire full new game :)
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

antman112
x4

Post by antman112 » Mon, 29. May 06, 12:48

i like the idea of an online X game
it opens a whole new world that i think the X games can relly show off there stuff in

but i allso want there to be solo games

so keep X-online and bring more ppl to this wonderfull game
but allso dont stop makeing X-Universe games that we love
sorry of any spelling mistakes

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 29. May 06, 13:04

Two players. Both receive 100 million. One builds a complex, the other buys a M2. Next day, the other chap still has the M2, but the complex owner just space debris. And no, it was not the Khaak that invaded.

Then again, there could be real factory owners offfering real rewards for taking out real criminals ...

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 29. May 06, 13:39

I can't see canonical X working as an online game. You'd need to cut it down and find some way to stop your holdings being wrecked every time you logged off.

In an online X we'd probably just having manual trading, mining and fighting, and the stations would be npc only.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Godalmighty83
x3

Post by Godalmighty83 » Mon, 29. May 06, 13:55

perhaps internet deathmatch seperate from the single game?

the player nominates one of his craft to be his vessel and then logs onto deathmatch in the options, the player then picks a server (sector) to play in against others either 1v1 or teams, perhaps mass deathmatch. financial rewards for a kill humiliation for a loss.

but no to all full on universe of players all messing each other up. no one would live long enough to get beyond a m3.

that and the servers would be a nightmare how would you translate your empire from one to the next with other peoples?
Xtended Mod Player.
Boron Hammerhead Pilot.

rhuneai
x3tc

Post by rhuneai » Mon, 29. May 06, 15:34

I think the game is fine as it is. Yes MP would be fun, but do we really want it?

With heaps of players it would be nearly impossible to look after all your factories, especially while you are logged off as mrbadger says.

The elder scrolls series has worked very well and they are all SP. This is because they put all of their efforts into creating the best SP game that they can.

Potentially for X to go MP, then some SP features would be lacking. I quite enjoy it as-is.

If i really feel like playing a MMO space-sim then i head over to EVE.

Although a team dethmatch server could be interesting...

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Mon, 29. May 06, 16:20

Yeah, a medieval: total war type multiplayer where you only get the battle mode and none of the strategic stuff would be interesting.

Mind you, a fleet of 16 carriers would be even more difficult to control than horse archers.

Given that apparent resources egosoft has to put into the singleplayer game though I don't think multiplayer isn't a very likely possibility.
Last edited by NeverSnake on Mon, 29. May 06, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Hachiman
x3tc

Post by Hachiman » Mon, 29. May 06, 16:27

esd wrote:. It has a guessed (by no-one in particular) ETA of between 2010 and 2020.
As early as that?.....
Kachi wa saya no naka ni ari
[Victory comes while the sword is[still]in the scabbard]

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Mon, 29. May 06, 16:52

yep Hachiman

in fact theres a sorta semi-official website that hasnt been updated in years with x online universe stuff on it. dont know the link anymore

k.spurr
x3tc

Post by k.spurr » Mon, 29. May 06, 16:55

mrbadger wrote: In an online X we'd probably just having manual trading, mining and fighting, and the stations would be npc only.
that would then be called freelancer not x online

martindemon
x3

Post by martindemon » Mon, 29. May 06, 17:17

A multiplayer X game is a game I would just not even try. I don't play World of Warcraft because of many reasons tied to online multiplayer games. Citing those reasons would take at least one hour. Lets just say that I strongly dislike those games. Never even tried any of them; just heard about the bad experiences of others and that's enough. I can't trust the others to not ruin my experience. I also like to have control on my savegames. I don't like people that talk without any regard to grammar (even if english is my second language; I know I make mistakes but nothing like the mistakes we see in chat rooms or multiplayer games.) Also, playing single player games make it sure that I will never be cheated by another player.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Mon, 29. May 06, 17:41

NeverSnake wrote:
Mind you, a fleet of 16 carriers would be even more difficult to control than horse archers.
my vision of the X-online would not be like that, you would be part of a sixteen carrier fleet.

Start off choosing a race, and then earn a disco, earn a buster earn a nova etc(if you get to carrier status then you carry other people in novas, you would'nt own them, like a real fleet every pilot would be human)

trade, much the same but you trade your way to owning larger fabs, you hire human pilots to protect your base,(although as in X3 there would be safe area too, but rewards would be less)

build, as in various other onliners, you could join a guild(clan) to improve trade or profits or fleets.

There could be safe home areas for all races, alliances, and trade.

For real pirates, the zones between each safe area could be theirs to ambush as they please, equally be hunted down by bounty hunters.

this could be the space sim to put the spellsayers to sleep forever.

(as for hostile invasions every ship of a certain race gets a pre-invasion warning, be there or be square, mercenaries from other races could be invited to help protect the homeland, rewards given out for kills, in comes the khaak mega real time battle ensuses, every race gets dusted once a month)

My vision is real time X3 environment with real people not AI. And if i'm around 2020, please God, then i just might be playing it.

(lemme see, 10 million players, ten dollars a month, equals .............)
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

martindemon
x3

Post by martindemon » Mon, 29. May 06, 17:48

Ammok Rules wrote:
NeverSnake wrote:
my vision of the X-online would not be like that, you would be part of a sixteen carrier fleet.

Start off choosing a race, and then earn a disco, earn a buster earn a nova etc(if you get to carrier status then you carry other people in novas, you would'nt own them, like a real fleet every pilot would be human)

trade, much the same but you trade your way to owning larger fabs, you hire human pilots to protect your base,(although as in X3 there would be safe area too, but rewards would be less)

build, as in various other onliners, you could join a guild(clan) to improve trade or profits or fleets.

There could be safe home areas for all races, alliances, and trade.

For real pirates, the zones between each safe area could be theirs to ambush as they please, equally be hunted down by bounty hunters.

this could be the space sim to put the spellsayers to sleep forever.

(as for hostile invasions every ship of a certain race gets a pre-invasion warning, be there or be square, mercenaries from other races could be invited to help protect the homeland, rewards given out for kills, in comes the khaak mega real time battle ensuses, every race gets dusted once a month)

My vision is real time X3 environment with real people not AI. And if i'm around 2020, please God, then i just might be playing it.

(lemme see, 10 million players, ten dollars a month, equals .............)
In 2020, that will be at least 100$ a month...

Cougar81
x3tc

Post by Cougar81 » Mon, 29. May 06, 18:58

For the old timers:

Tradewars 2k

X-Online could be great.

---------------------------

TW2k had thousands of sectors though, so you could easily "hide" from someone you upset. Also, since it was in the early days of the online world, there were in the hundreds/thousands playing (non-simultaneous)... not in the tens of thousands (simultaneous) like today. Also, TW2k in the later stages was built around players owning planets.. not factories. If EGO had an X-Online I would suggest this approach, putting factories on planets and creating a central point for each player to achieve. (and thus limiting their exposure on the rest of the uni) TW2k was also turn based. Moving to sectors cost turns, and you had a limited amount. Which created even footing between people who can only log on for 1hr to people who could stay on for 4.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”