What a bad two days I've had

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should I sack them?

Poll ended at Wed, 22. Oct 03, 21:41

Yes, there rubbish
No votes
No, it was your fault
29%
They should sack you
29%
Both at fault
43%

Total votes: 7

Gary Bolton

What a bad two days I've had

Post by Gary Bolton » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 20:36

Well as you will all remember I was testing the Invision forum software from by hard drive using Apach2Triad to act as the server run from my PC. Well all went well until Monday when my internet connection went offline. Then next came a phone call from Blueyonder Security (My ISP) to my wife why I was in bed. They said they wanted to speak to me. As you can imagine she was thinking all sorts of things. Seeing as it seemed they had taken my internet connection offline on the same day made me think to myself, "What the hell had I done"!

Anyway I phoned them up yesterday and was told to phone the Blueyonder Abuse section, because they wanted to speak to me. Oh dear I thought this is getting worse and worse. On getting through to them they explained they was aware that I had been running a server from my PC, which was why they had turned my connection off. So I said to them I though you was allowed to run a server using there connection. Yes they said you can, but the software I was using had opened a PORT on my computer that was using Blueyonders SMTP servers to send email out from the forum I was running that could have been hacked by another person enabling them to send SPAM mail out using there SMTP servers, that would have not been traceable and would have stopped at me. So that was the reason why they had disconnected my internet. Because it was a security issue for them!

Anyway I explained to them that I had now restored an earlier hard drive image created with Driveimage 2002 before I installed the Server Software, and there was no trace of it on my PC now. Meaning everything was back to normal again, and that it was only a test anyway! So they put me back online (after scanning my PC logs at the same time). They explained I could have been blacklisted because of this in using there SMTP email servers to send email out from the forum.

So today I was playing around with my Web space that I pay extra cash for to get 100mb, and things like Perl, Apache and PHP support. Only to find out now when they restored my account they totally messed up the web space side of things that I subscribed too, and instead had now assigned me a standard package with 30mb web space and no Apache and Perl support. Instead of restoring the paid version with 100mb. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to get that back online because it's an automated process to remove it and then restore the paid version of the web space back again.

And to top all this off, my connection has been going offline and online all day which made me a bit suspicion. But after phoning them and giving them a piece of my mind. They said they would send an engineer out the same day today. The only problem is the engineer they were sending out today never arrived after me stopping up until 1pm after working the night shift the night before. My internet connection seems OK now. So no doubt is was a problem at there end that I tried to tell them in the first place. But hey Blueyonder thanks for the phone call to let me know you were NOT coming out.

:(

So as you can imagine I'm not a happy bunny seeing as I'm back in work tonight after having very little sleep all day.

:evil:

PS: This gets better my wife has just found a message left on the answer machine from Blueyonder saying they have fixed my internet connection, left a 3pm today! Seeing as they stated there engineer would be here between 10am and 1pm at the very latest, means that message is a bit late coming! I was fast asleep on the couch by then!

Because of all this: Here is a little VOTE POLL for a laugh! The POLE is running for 7 days only! I'll check the results when I get in from work in the morning. :?
Last edited by Gary Bolton on Wed, 15. Oct 03, 21:23, edited 2 times in total.
DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

Return to “Off Topic English”