Couple of questions about OOS Battles and Patrols

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

stg1969
x3tc

Couple of questions about OOS Battles and Patrols

Post by stg1969 » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 12:06

I'm just getting to the stage where i can consider splitting my military Fleet. Up till now, my small fleet has always stayed with me and my Hercules.

I'm about to buy a Centaur M6 but i have a few questions regarding OOS Patrols.

1) Do you think a fully kitted out Centaur and 3 Persues Raiders (with PSG's) would be enough to Patrol say "Split Fire" or Hatikva's Faith.

2) Do these guys generally perform well OOS, i know I was pleasantly surprised recently, when I took on a Xenon P and a dozen M's in my Nova, I asked for help from my nearby Perseus and Mamba, and they kicked ass.... by the time i'd killed the P they had wiped out a dozen M's, the Mamba had lost 50% shields but the Perseus was full shields.

3) And this is the silly one, do destroyed ships still leave cargo behind when the battle happens OOS, and even sillier, don't suppose there's ever a chance of Pilot Bails when your Patrol attacks ships?

4) I'm enemy of the state with the Split, but i dont really want my Patrols to attack Split ships, just pirates, i have my global setting with Split set to friend, but they still appear red, wil my patrols attack them even if not provoked?

Cheers

apricotslice
x4

Re: Couple of questions about OOS Battles and Patrols

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 12:36

I'm not that up on oos.

But this one caught my eye.
stg1969 wrote: 4) I'm enemy of the state with the Split, but i dont really want my Patrols to attack Split ships, just pirates, i have my global setting with Split set to friend, but they still appear red, wil my patrols attack them even if not provoked?
The danger here if your at war with the Split, is that if your ships show them as freinds, they are vulnerable to a first strike by split ships, since they will not be seeing them as a threat.

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 12:52

The centaur will be fine, i use a lone hydra to patrol some of the pirate sectors to the north of split fire (elenas fortune?), and its doing fine. I use the hydra as its 20% faster than the centaur so it gets round its patrol faster.

Remebering back to x2, i am sure (well i've convinced myself anyway) that when the khaak had been busy in a OOS sector, the sector was often littered with cargo containers, so i can only imagine that they will be dropped oos in x3 too. But you wont get any pilot bails, its only ships you attack personally that get pilot bails.

stg1969
x3tc

Post by stg1969 » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 12:58

Cheers guys, i guess i'll just suck it and see...

Apricot, i think you may be right, what i'll do is set Split to foe... does that mean they will automatically attack split freighters :D

Better make sure they dont patrol any split strongholds/sectors, or i could be in deep poo if my M6 and 3 M3's runs into a Split M2, or even a Dragon and some fighter support.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”