The Donts of the X Universe and other stupid mistakes.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

apricotslice
x4

The Donts of the X Universe and other stupid mistakes.

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 03:53

Another X3 Handbook initiative :

What are the things that you simply DONT do in the X universe if you want to survive ?

The classic has got to be not moving after jumping into a gate, and having a larger ship jump in on top of you :)

So what else shouldnt you do, or put another way, what stupid things have you done that got you killed ?

Posting here implies you agree for the post to be included in the X3 Handbook if interest gets enough replies to include the thread.

Electric_Kola
x3tc

Post by Electric_Kola » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 03:54

Do NOT, try and reverse back into a Argon/Teladi Trading station AFTER you have left the main bay.

Lets just say erm, I wanted to have a look behind and promptly smashed into the barrier..and erm..died :P
"There must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the universe can be said to be zero, From this it follows that the population of the universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the product of a deranged imagination" - Douglas Adams

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 03:56

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=135715

Link added for my own benefit later, but this is the thread that set the idea in motion for the handbook.

Electric_Kola
x3tc

Post by Electric_Kola » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 03:58

Goodie :D

Right another one: Do not let your ego take over and try and take on a entire xenon sector in nothing more than a Buster OR

Do not let your ego take over and try and fly a TS/TP thru a xenon sector

Done both, and I think you can imagine what happened :)
"There must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the universe can be said to be zero, From this it follows that the population of the universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the product of a deranged imagination" - Douglas Adams

fud
x3

Post by fud » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 04:59

Hell. For fun I order a TS to jump to a Khaak sector, just so I can start/stop a stopwatch from the time it jumps in, until I get the "he was straight-f**k killed!" message.

Yes, I used to burn ants with a magnifying glass as a child.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 05:01

fud wrote:Hell. For fun I order a TS to jump to a Khaak sector, just so I can start/stop a stopwatch from the time it jumps in, until I get the "he was straight-f**k killed!" message.

Yes, I used to burn ants with a magnifying glass as a child.
I wish you ahdnt told me that :o

What was the stopwatch count ?

Electric_Kola
x3tc

Post by Electric_Kola » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 05:01

Always wanted to try that, never enough sun tho *sniff*

Sending a lone TS into a pirate sector is always fun also, especially if it has no shields :fg:

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 07:24

Make sure that you set your auto piliot to
"Stand by". Before you head out the air lock.
To claim that "cap" you just made.

It's not the leaveing you behind part. You can get the ship
back to your position.
It's the ship that you just came out of running you over.

And make sure the baddies or gone,or at least occupide..
before you do the above.
Last edited by Tracker001 on Thu, 30. Mar 06, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

beach07
x3

Post by beach07 » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 07:27

RMK wrote:Goodie :D

Right another one: Do not let your ego take over and try and take on a entire xenon sector in nothing more than a Buster OR

Do not let your ego take over and try and fly a TS/TP thru a xenon sector

Done both, and I think you can imagine what happened :)

believe it or not... i went across a whole xenon sector with the default buster and managed to survive with about 75% shields and no hull damage... also note: i had no upgrades =D of course i was making the most random maneuvers ever... it was my first time going exploring... and boy did i have an adventure =D but of course i didn't try taking them all on

JulianG
x3

Post by JulianG » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 07:37

I haven't played X3 much yet, but the dummest thing I've done in X2 is fly my Herculas into an AI factory... repeatatly :) I was planning to stop just above the factory so my freigter could quickly make a run from my Herc to the Factory and back. I failed to take in acount the atennas on top of the sation and the cargo crate thing underneath my Herc... it didn't end well...

Flon

Post by Flon » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 08:49

Dont fly around with loaded firestorm torpeodoess - one slip of the button and bye bye argon prime :oops:

Dont hover near docking ports.. that hurts after awhile :x

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 09:45

don't stumble into the main Xenon sector (what *is* that called again), in an unsheilded and unarmed harrier...

I got out, but boy was it hard. The only reason I escaped is there were so many Xenon carriers and destroyers around they blocked the fighters.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

membreya

Post by membreya » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 09:58

Similar to Tracker001, when you use a joystick make sure you set the throttle to zero or when you jump back into your ship that you quickly whack it into reverse!!

I've lost too many caps from being forgetful/lazy... :(

The only thing I can recommend to new-comers is to never EVER try the SETA exploit and leave your computer running all night in SETA x10 ...the gain in profits isn't worth the loss of ships (particularly the training necessary to get UTs up and running) and the loss in fighting rank.

membreya

Post by membreya » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:02

mrbadger wrote:don't stumble into the main Xenon sector (what *is* that called again)
Xenon Sector 596 in the far north-east quadrant if I remember correctly...never seen SO many Xenon cap ships :( I jump my Titan in ..take 3 or 4 of them out and jump out again ;) ...

I believe it's called "Terrier Tactics" ... <--- no NOT terrorist..lol terrier as in a nippy little dog

Nova_Cain820
x3

Post by Nova_Cain820 » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:16

How about don't ask for coms to dock when you are about 900 meters away from the station runing at 190 or up. ...hmm my Z button isn't working ..whoa whoa whoa whoa! Damn you and your long replies Automatic Intra-waction system

Or more fun with highspeed collisions Don't open a menu in front of a gate right after you popped out to tell your stupid Station seller to not take another shortcut through pirate space. Nothing like getting slammed from behind..especially at near the speed of light. Nor do you wanna be flying through a low vis sector at 1000 SETA with a menu open
That roid came out of Nowhere! Nothing like a space age exxon Valdez spill to wake up up in the morning.

Ooh this one has to be the best though. Launching a slow missle with a massive blast radius right behind a Nova. Talk about premature ejaculation. sheesh

Thank god I'm a noob and I can do all this stuff at least 3 times before I start slaming my head into the keyboard to dull the pain
Vicarious

membreya

Post by membreya » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:19

Nova_Cain820 wrote:How about don't ask for coms to dock when you are about 900 meters away from the station runing at 190 or up. ...hmm my Z button isn't working ..whoa whoa whoa whoa! Damn you and your long replies Automatic Intra-waction system
Press enter or fire ;) It makes the menu selection come up quicker ;) That or you can just press u ...that automatically lands you..

EVEN BETTER !!! Buy a docking computer and press d within 5km of the dock and you can land immediately ;)

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:23

Obey the proper gate usage procedures!

Lights moving in your direction mean traffic inbound, lights moving away from you mean you are clear to jump.
Fighter craft must traverse the gate at its edge, the center is for capital ships.

Flying at the centre of a gate in a buster, with the lights indicating incoming traffic is likely to end in a rather small dent in a Teladi Pheonix, a slight bit more space debris, and one dead rookie pilot.
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

membreya

Post by membreya » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:27

nirwin wrote:Obey the proper gate usage procedures!

Lights moving in your direction mean traffic inbound, lights moving away from you mean you are clear to jump.
Fighter craft must traverse the gate at its edge, the center is for capital ships.

Flying at the centre of a gate in a buster, with the lights indicating incoming traffic is likely to end in a rather small dent in a Teladi Pheonix, a slight bit more space debris, and one dead rookie pilot.
Dude I so didn't know that!! ;) I've only just started taking notice of the lights...but I'm usually in SETA so by the time I get there something else has usually jumped in :(

JulianG
x3

Post by JulianG » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:35

The lights are there for a reason??? I thought it was just there for decoration :)

You learn something new everyday...

Coldfire_Xero
x3tc

Post by Coldfire_Xero » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:37

Don't fly a freighter and think your flying the milenium falcon,

don't think cuase your in a M3 that you are LUke Skywalker

don't be surprised if you die why flying a M5

don't tkae a M5 to a fight with a M6 and complain when it takes forever to destroy

daon't take on a assassination mission in be surprised when you go up against a M2
No power in the 'verse can stop me...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”