[RELEASE] Custom ship MOBILE FORTRESS ver 1.1

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Observe
xr

[RELEASE] Custom ship MOBILE FORTRESS ver 1.1

Post by Observe » Sat, 25. Mar 06, 00:19

The Mobile Fortress custom ship is now available for download, with instructions for several installation methods.

Download the files (standard version 1.1).
View the instructions and complete specifications (web page).

For those who would like to install the Mobile Fortress along with the DDRS mod:
Download the files for integration with DDRS version 2.1 Note: Install DDRS as a patch. Install the Mobile Fortress as the selectable Mod. Future DDRS releases may not be compatable. You will still have to download and install the DDRS mod files if you choose this option.

Since this ship is too large to connect with equipment docks, or be produced by shipyards, it comes with most of the common upgrades pre-installed - including full weapons loadout.

Fly, and die no more :)

Ship specs:

Cargo capacity: 60,000
Docking 260 total: (236 x M5, M4), (5x M1, M2, TL), (20 x M6, TP, TS)
Hull strength: 400000
Reactor output power: 20000 MW
Maximum speed: 64.27
Acceleration: 1ms
Shields: 10GJ x 2
Weapons recharge rate: 2000 J/s
Weapons energy: 100000 J
Lasers: Gamma Photon Pulse Cannon or Lasertower weapon x 24.
Missiles: Typical M1 assortment

Cost: Priceless. If you have to ask, you can't afford one.

Emerging from a jump gate with 4 M1's docked in the rear:

[ external image ]

Fighter docking:

[ external image ]

Medium size docking port:

[ external image ]

In the thick of things:

[ external image ]

Cockpit view:

[ external image ]
Last edited by Observe on Sun, 2. Apr 06, 03:39, edited 20 times in total.

BDStyle
x3tc

Post by BDStyle » Sat, 25. Mar 06, 00:29

I like the idea, i Really do, maybe with some balancing it would be awesome.

However i don't really like the look of it :S

Nice effort though :D

carbonbw
x3

Post by carbonbw » Sat, 25. Mar 06, 00:44

looks...BIG

nice work:)
p4 2,4 GHz; 1GB RAM
GeForce 7; FW 9xx; SB live
XP Prof. SP1

xxx-xx
x3

Post by xxx-xx » Sat, 25. Mar 06, 00:49

Its awsome

Tiberian Commander
x3tc

Post by Tiberian Commander » Sat, 25. Mar 06, 03:11

WOW got to have it :D

Saint-Ashley
x4

Post by Saint-Ashley » Sat, 25. Mar 06, 06:51

Finally out! been waiting for this :P Good job!

Edit: Though I beleive such a ship should be added to the SY's... at a 250 mill + cost. . .

DarthVain
x3tc

Post by DarthVain » Tue, 28. Mar 06, 02:38

Awesome ship Observe :) Only 2 probs I found was:

1. The Hercules when it undocks flies directly ahead too long before it makes a turn. Consequently it crashes into the M0. I found that the only way to prevent this from happening was to steer the M0 out of the TL's path; and

2. The Colossus and the Titan when undocking fly directly ahead (same as the TL) but fly straight through the front of the M0's main body structure.

Is there a way for the Cap ships when they undock for them to be pushed further out from the M0 to prevent the above from happening?
Another one bites the dust!!

DarthVain

fud
x3

Re: [RELEASE] Custom ship MOBILE FORTRESS

Post by fud » Tue, 28. Mar 06, 03:04

Observe wrote:
Emerging from a jump gate with 4 M1's docked in the rear:

[img]

lol, that's just f**kin sick! :thumb_up:

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 28. Mar 06, 03:33

Well, I appologize for that oversight Captainfred! :cry:

I took the ship through so many test runs for weapons optimization and other matters, that I neglected that aspect.

There are several possible solutions that come to mind. Let me see what I can do. The ship does come with a money back gaurantee you know. :wink:

DarthVain
x3tc

Post by DarthVain » Tue, 28. Mar 06, 05:23

Observe wrote:Well, I appologize for that oversight Captainfred! :cry:

I took the ship through so many test runs for weapons optimization and other matters, that I neglected that aspect.

There are several possible solutions that come to mind. Let me see what I can do. The ship does come with a money back gaurantee you know. :wink:
No need for apologies Observe. You've put a hell of a lot of thought into this mod and is greatly appreciated. :thumb_up: Just thought I'd mention it. Besides, who wants the money back anyway, the ship is damn awesome. It's those captains commanding the support fleet that can't instruct the crew to steer the ships off the dock properly :D

The new X³: Reunion Cockpit Mod by Imp works great with the M0 also.

DarthVain

tikanderoga
x4

Post by tikanderoga » Tue, 28. Mar 06, 12:18

If I install it as a patch, is it possible to have another Mod like DDRS running with it¿
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 28. Mar 06, 16:19

tikanderoga wrote:If I install it as a patch, is it possible to have another Mod like DDRS running with it¿
Installing multiple mods continues to be potentially problematic because of conflicting changed files.

Certainly if you know how to combine mods it's easy enough. Cycrow created the X - Script Manager that I'm currently looking into for possible integration with my mod package for this purpose.

I'll be away for a couple of days this week; but when I get back I'll add instructions for multiple mod integration (for the Mobile Fortress). I may end up making several mod package alternatives depending whether one of the major mods (like DDRS or M7) is being used concurrently.

[EDIT] We may want to come up with a community mod package that would roll single mods made by various individuals into a frequently updated, and ever growing mod package. That too could be a nightmare to manage though.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 29. Mar 06, 15:20

Just stumbled on this by accident.

Exactly what I've been wanting, thankyou :)

Please get this listed in the sticky thread.

I dont want to appear greedy, but the cargo capasity isnt enough. Minimum of 200,000, but preferrably more. Although I guess I can mod that myself :)

And I'd like to see some fighter protection options other than lasertowers.

Be nice to put several bflaks on, or a couple of turrent of fast firing short range guns like bpbe's.

Edit : No luck on the install as 07 files. I am using a custom mod as well, and havent tried to get 2 of them working together before. When I run the script, nothing happens. Any suggestion as to what may be wrong ? I'll have a another look tomorrow and read up on merging I think.

Edit : (Next day) Not tried again yet with the install, but some extra thoughts.

Next step is to put some realism into the script. Put a price on it, say 500 mil (people can remove this if they want it free), and apon delivery, send a message to the player from Observe Industries thanking them for purchase and their prompt payment (or a message saying they cant afford it yet).

I also suggest letting the player select where they want it spawned. Then they can have it appear where they want it permanently located (if they do).

When you ahve it to this point, I'd love to make a mention of it in one of my guides so that people will know about it. The software guide has an excelent oprening point for mentioning it, even though its not software. It is what a lot of people want though. So its worth advertising.

tikanderoga
x4

Post by tikanderoga » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 14:30

I really like it from sight, but what REALLY disturbs me, that you get it "just like that", without having to do something for it..

At least pay a couple of millions for it would be the least thing required to make it more attractive for most people..
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 15:50

tikanderoga wrote:I really like it from sight, but what REALLY disturbs me, that you get it "just like that", without having to do something for it..

At least pay a couple of millions for it would be the least thing required to make it more attractive for most people..
That is missing from the script, but if it really bothers you, just script yourself -2,000,000 credits. It should ahve a price, but I for one would just script it out anyway :)

I successfuly got it working today.

Merged 2 mods to do it though.

The fortress mod is number 07 in the x3 directory, and my personal mod is in the mods directory.

First attempt, nada. So I looked at the contents, and guessed that my mod was overwriting the fortress mod at startup time.

So I went in to the fortress tships, copied the fortess hull and pasted into my tships file. Then I copied the cockpit from the tcockpit file. Result, corupted tships ship hull, as the cockpits were missing. So I deleted the hull, and then recopied it, and it was fine. I then deleted the tships and tcockpits files from the fortress mod. Loaded the game, and scripted me in a fortress ! :)

So, if your merging mods, the cockpit must be placed in the mod file executed last (the one in the mods directory if there is one), first, then copy the ship over. If you dont delete the ships and cockpits files from the fortress mod, it overwrites anything you changed in the mod files.

Nice ship, I must go have a close look at it next play time. I modded it slightly. Added bflaks and bpbes so the turrent have a mixed lot of guns and can protect against anything at any range. have to try it out in combat and see what happens with different loadouts.

tikanderoga
x4

Re: [RELEASE] Custom ship MOBILE FORTRESS

Post by tikanderoga » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 16:00

Observe wrote:Since this ship is too large to connect with equipment docks, or be produced by shipyards, it comes with most of the common upgrades pre-installed - including full weapons loadout.

Cargo capacity: 60,000
Docking 260 total: (236 x M5, M4), (5x M1, M2, TL), (20 x M6, TP, TS)
Hull strength: 400000
Reactor output power: 20000 MW
Maximum speed: 64.27
Acceleration: 1ms
Shields: 10GJ x 2
Weapons recharge rate: 2000 J/s
Weapons energy: 100000 J
Lasers: Gamma Photon Pulse Cannon or Lasertower weapon x 24.
Missiles: Typical M1 assortment
2 mio would be a ludicrous price for that thing.. just by the GPPCs it would at least cost you 24, plus the 2 10 GJ another 2, and for the ship give it another 150..
So you'd need to script of 'round 180'000'000 to be in a reasonable range..

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 16:19

Request time :

Could you also do a defense platform ?

Base it on an M2 design with all turrents having 8 guns, all lasertowers.

Doesnt need speed, mainly designed for jumping into gates, and crawling somewhere near them.

I did a hull for this a while ago, but could never get it in the game. And never did get the turent right for it. But your new fortress turrent already does the lasertower, so all you need is the hull design and graphics, and the script to get it in.

Please please please !

lot of people want this to replace 100's of lasertowers.

rizzo420
x3

Post by rizzo420 » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 19:32

I had the trouble with the ships running straight ahead for too long and blowing up on the front end. I find that if I'm running at speed, it works better.

Aside from that, great job :D
Split Say AAAAAAAAA!!!

Cargo bay now contains: Elephant.

Bandus
x4

Post by Bandus » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 23:22

This ship gave me some good laughs. I basically spawned it in Argon Prime, tried to take it to Home of Light and ended up plowing like, 20 ships at the jump gate.

Argon's got pissed at me for that and a huge battle ensued....I took out a ton of ships...once this ships shields fail she crumbles like tin foil though.

Great fun but nothing I'd ever use in a "real game" I don't think.

Good work.

P.S. I would definitely be interested in some kind of defensive platform as an alternative to the laser towers.

DarthVain
x3tc

Post by DarthVain » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 23:47

Yes, going through the gates manually is risky so I've installed the Gateless Jumpdrive.

Now if we could get rid of the gates altogether and have some type of navigational galaxy plotting device installed that would be awesome. Come to think of it, the gateless jumpdrive does that job already :D

DarthVain

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”