[SCRIPT] Cartel Inc. Shield Hacker

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

moggy2
x3ap

[SCRIPT] Cartel Inc. Shield Hacker

Post by moggy2 » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 06:40

The Cartel Shield Hacker is a pirate device which, when attached to a transporter device, allows you to beam cargo off any ship through their shields.

The device is very rare and difficult to find, and since it's not exactly a production model it's interface can be a bit tricky to use. What else would you expect from a pirate anyway.

Download Here
This very rare and expensive device allows a pirate to hack through the
shields of another ships and transport the cargo off the target ship. The
process only works over very close range, is slow, and is rather obvious to
the victim.

In order to use the device you also require a transporter device, available
from the Goner Temple, and a freight scanner, available from all good pirate
bases. You must be within 275m of the target, for the device to work, and
you must remain within this distance while the transporting takes place.
Because of the nature of the cargo transfer, goods are only transfered one
unit at a time so the transfer may take quite a while if you try to take a
large quantity. A message will be displayed once the transfer is complete.

Note that each unit transfered runs the risk of detection, and that risk is
increases with the strength of the targets shields.

Where to get the shield hacker:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

The supply of this device is limited, you can get it at pirate owned
stations but only one is likely to have any at any given time.
-----
Textpage/textfile: 7501
Command slot: Piracy 25

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 14:32

Cool. So, in theory, you could creep up behind a potential hit (assassin missions) and strip him of his weapons first, or even better, his shields?

I'll have to try this....

Since you're supposed to kill him anyway, you don't need to worry about a loss of rank. :D

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 28. Feb 06, 16:16

fud wrote:Cool. So, in theory, you could creep up behind a potential hit (assassin missions) and strip him of his weapons first, or even better, his shields?

I'll have to try this....

Since you're supposed to kill him anyway, you don't need to worry about a loss of rank. :D
that won't work, it shouldn't be possible to steal equipment installed on the ship. Something to do with the power running through or near them disrupting the lock.

DrunkenPirate
x3ap

Post by DrunkenPirate » Tue, 28. Feb 06, 16:23

cool, I liked this little device for X2. :)

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 28. Feb 06, 16:29

moggy2 wrote:
fud wrote:
that won't work, it shouldn't be possible to steal equipment installed on the ship. Something to do with the power running through or near them disrupting the lock.

Right. I was just "thinking". It would make sense it wouldn't work. That'd be way too easy imo.

Lothmorg
x3

Post by Lothmorg » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 19:16

If you had that kind of technology, why not just lock onto the pilot and transport him 5K away? :twisted:

I'm thinking bad again...
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Arbitrary_Notion
x4

Post by Arbitrary_Notion » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 11:22

hey moggy2.

this is a great idea. tried it out this morning and had a lot of fun with it. some poor high tech demeter in seizwell. i jacked 7 of his 20 25mj sheilds off him before he caught me.

but i have two questions.
1. is it possible that this could be set up to use a hotkey? setting it up takes a moment, but what it really needs is that ability to cancel. the problem i kept running into was that i could steal wares, but once the process was started, i had no way to stop it, save for utilizing the less than 275m distance limitation. it would be significantly more usefull if one could bring it up with a hot key then, after a few items have been stolen and when he feels like his luck is wearing out, he can hit the hotkey again to cut off the transfer, thus, getting away with it. would do a great job of rounding off this script.

and 2. is it possible to have the script check what wears are on board and list only those that are available? perhaps requiring a frienght scan? (adding to the deviousness of it considering that you either have to have a police licence or do a scan illegally)
bringing up a list of every ware in the game makes the selection process quite tedious and often tends to leave you still sitting there sorting through the possibilties long after your target has messed up the speed and navigational alignment you just so carefully set up.

let me know what you think can be done.

i'm messing around with the notion of scripting myself. if you don't have the time but you think it is possible to impliment these changes, maybe you could give me a knudge in the right direction so i could give it a go myself. =)

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 14:40

Yes it is possible to do both. The reason I haven't is that a) it's a very powerfull script being able to steal thousands of credits of wares in just a few second and that needs some kind of balance, b) it's made by pirates so it's less likely to be a polished product, as long as it does the job, and c) I like the fact that it requires some piloting skill to use.

feel free to make the modifications yourself if you want.

Arbitrary_Notion
x4

Post by Arbitrary_Notion » Mon, 14. Aug 06, 15:38

understandable, it is quite a powerful script.

eitherway, i'd love to give it a go and see what i can come up with.

if it's not too much to ask, could you give me an idea how to do those two things? set up hotkeys and check and display cargo hold contents?
i would greatly appreciate it. =)
i've been messing around with the editor but it's still not making a heck of a lot of sense to me.

cycrows script help is useful, but it looks like what i'm aiming for is going for something much more complex. if you know of any other scripting tutorials or guides, let me know.

thanx in advance for your help!

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Mon, 14. Aug 06, 16:29

displaying a choice of wares from the target ship is a very simple change.

In the command script plugin.Cartel.SH.cmd.hacker simply change the argument type from Var/Ware to Var/Ware of ship

The hotkey's a bit more involved.

RU4PT
x3

Post by RU4PT » Mon, 14. Aug 06, 16:56

In the command script plugin.Cartel.SH.cmd.hacker simply change the argument type from Var/Ware to Var/Ware of ship
And i can see my wares at my own ship.... :(

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Mon, 14. Aug 06, 17:38

RU4PT wrote:
And i can see my wares at my own ship.... :(
oops my mistake, it's Var/Ship and Ware.

it's been a while since I tried this.
You'll need to add a line at the begining of that script:

Code: Select all

$ware = $ware[1]
because the return from that argument is an array of the ship and the ware selected.

Arbitrary_Notion
x4

Post by Arbitrary_Notion » Mon, 14. Aug 06, 22:34

i really do appreciate the help.
but sadly, though it seems so simple, i'm just not getting it. i've no scripting experience, so i'm being all noob about it. =P trying though.

so what i've got to work with is:

005 @ START $null -> call script plugin.CartelSH.hacker.xfer : Target ware for beamout=$ware
006 returen null
i figured out how to enter in the arrary

$ware = $ware[1]
so that would go on line 004?

and i've been messing around with the script editor for an hour or two now and i'm just not finding something that fits along the lines of var/ship and ware. am i meant to replace line 005 with a new command along the lines of var/ship and ware or am i just changing parts of the existing one with new variables. i tried various ideas with both of those thoughts and came up stumped.
i hate to trouble you for an example of the code of an explanation of how to enter it, but i'm quite lost currently, so it looks like i'm stuck with asking. =/

ORIOLE
x2

Post by ORIOLE » Tue, 15. Aug 06, 11:44

Sorry for interrupting here:

please check line 006:
006 returen null
Isn't "returen" a typo?
Shouldn't it be "return"?

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 15. Aug 06, 14:48

ORIOLE wrote:Sorry for interrupting here:

please check line 006:
006 returen null
Isn't "returen" a typo?
Shouldn't it be "return"?
yes, but since it's impossible to make that typo in the script editor I ignored it.

I'll try and post some code on how to do this later.

Arbitrary_Notion
x4

Post by Arbitrary_Notion » Tue, 15. Aug 06, 14:54

actually, that was my bad, moggy2.
made that post just before going to sleep yesterday. so i didn't catch the typo.

thanks for taking the time to help me out.
i'll look forward to that code when you get to it.

in the mean time, i'm hitting the modding and scripting tutorials.
maybe i can figure out how to get rid of that horribly close view distance that plagues so many of the sectors.

Arbitrary_Notion
x4

Post by Arbitrary_Notion » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 23:32

ok, so i spent the last week or two reading through the msci scripting handbook. i got a much better idea of what it is i'm looking at. not quite to the extent i was hoping, but still, much better than before. =)

i figured out what you meant by changing the argument from "var/ware" to "var/ship and ware". got that changed over and added the arrary $ware = $ware[1] to the beginning of the script. now the problem i'm running into is when you select the steal cargo option, it has you select the sector, the ship then, presumably, the ware. however, every time i've tried it, it will only show player owned ships. neither your target or any other ship in the sector can be selected or even seen in the listing. (i tried ware of ship just for the heck of it and, like you guys said, it just brings up the wares on my current ship.)
any idea why it's doing that and how to get around it?

also, having read about arrays i'm curious, saying that $ware=$ware[1], if that is saying something to the effect of the variable "$ware" equals the second element of an array by the name of $ware, then where is the array declared? or am i reading that all wrong? further more, i'm also wondering what the purpose of that array is in this particular script, that is, what it will be doing if entered at the beginning of the script as you sugguested.

the handbook was a great introduction to the x universe scripting world. i'm hoping i'll be able to get the hang of it so i can try my hand at writing a few scripts of my own. it's good to know there are people here i can ask when i get stuck. =)

Arbitrary_Notion
x4

Post by Arbitrary_Notion » Wed, 30. Aug 06, 09:33

hello again.

i could still really use an answer on this if you guys have got the time with the release of the bonus plugin and all.

it's still the same conundrum as my last post. i've yet to figure out a way to display the wares currently on board a ship that is not owned by the player as the var/ship and ware seems to be set up to only show player-owned ships cargo.
i thought that if i could find the script that handles the freight scanner, i might see how the game handles that command and, perhaps, even use it's return as the list of wares to choose from. however, i had no luck finding the script for the freight scanner. any ideas? where is the script that handles the frieght scanner anyways?? 0_o

also, having been through the x2 msci handbook, i'm left wondering what is different in x3 vs x2s scripting. is there an x3 version in the works? or has anyone wrote a post on the subject of such differences? if so, a link would be much appreciated.

thanx. =)
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
-Will Durant

Jiggaman
x3tc

Post by Jiggaman » Mon, 4. Sep 06, 07:36

Hmmmm any way we could extend the range out to say 1km? that way it becomes a little more manageable for Cap ships as well?

Saint-Ashley
x4

Post by Saint-Ashley » Mon, 4. Sep 06, 08:15

Its a very simple change inside the scripts. :wink:

Though, I wouldnt expect Moggy to even think about that idea... As the script can alerdy litterally steal millions of mula $! And, haveing it 1 km would make it a touch too easy for a TS to use and steal.

Maybe haveing different ranges for different clases would satify some...

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”