Forget Khaak and Xenon, the wife is the biggest threat to my Empire

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

andysonofbob
x3

Post by andysonofbob » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 17:20

Easily the most constructive post so far

Try this: hopefully you and your misses are still on friendly, kissing (pecking at leat) terms…

Buy/borrow/steal a dvd box set, something that you like, but she likes more.

Hopefully the tv is in the same room as your pc

Now tell her that you are helping someone by Beta testing his mod and apologise for being such a geek/nerd and say ‘I hope you dont mind but it’s the two nights when we only mong and I will not be more than 3 m from you. If she is not 100% self centred she should just ‘tut’ and let you get on with.

Very important bit! She will not let you do this for long so take the following

Not long after she has started watching the DVD (we are talking a couple of minutes here) make a ‘bloody idiot!!’ gesture and curse mildly at how annoying the 'mod' is. Now quickly get up and randomly peck your misses on the cheek and get back to the game now that you feel better after this quick peek. This tells the misses that she is in the forefront of your mind and you aren’t really enjoying the game; it’s more of a chore and hey, she has always known you’re a bit of a geek etc.

Also make sure that you half watch the DVD (which is very possible with X3) so you can now and again make some comment on it so as far as she is concerned you are just sitting in a different place than normal

Another general woman tip I find works a treat.
When she asks you what she should wear e.g. boots: Say that looks nice, what else were you thinking of? Let her try on the next pair. When she shows you say ‘nice, but I think I prefer the first pair.’ This lets her think that she was right first time which was obviously her first choice. She also gets to try on another pair and get complemented.
I hope this helps my friend and fellow brothers

Andy

G Morgan
x3

Post by G Morgan » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 17:28

My greatest achievement in university was teaching my flatmate how to play Halo on X-box (yes I know its a FPS and on a console at that but this was a huge achievement). She was complaining about our late night come home drunk and have a 16 player Halo tournument trait. One day she came in for coffee and found we were a player short and she filled in because she had nothing better to do.

Despite spending the entire game running around randomly either looking directly up or down she managed to make one kill by mistake with a shotgun and enjoyed it. The next 3 years resulted in her actually becoming good at the game (better in fact than some of the boys that used to play as well). Pity the fact that she was my flat mate precluded her becoming my g/f. Would have been interesting though she'd probably insist that I played an FPS with her rather than playing X3 had it happend.

BoNe MacHiNe
x3

Re: Forget Khaak and Xenon, the wife is the biggest threat to my Empire

Post by BoNe MacHiNe » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 18:16

Tymi wrote:My wife bought X3 for me for Chrimbo. Now when ever I try and put a few hours in she asks me something to do around the flat.

I try to book game time in advance it usually goes something like this
ME:"Are we doing anything Wednesday night darling?"
HERINDOORS:"Absolutely nothing, did you have something in mind?"
ME:"Thought I'd spend the evening playing X3"
HERINDOORS:"Well we do need to go shopping, and those shelves need putting up, and the loft needs boarding" etc. etc. etc.

Have to wonder why she bought it for me when she always tries to stop me playing it!
AAAAHHH HHAA HHHHHAAAAAA (I laugh in sympathetic crazed frustration) :rofl: I can totally relate to you. When I sit to play my games a torrent of comments on what needs to get done in the house comes out of my wife, blah blah blah :rant: blah blah blah. It drives me insane, and this is at night, when one should be resting! :headbang: But Skeeter is right, you have to do something nice to her, like paying the feryman at river Styx, then she may let you play.
Intel P4 HT 2.6 GHz, 2x512MB, ATI Radeon X850XT 256 MB, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, win XP pro

MillerTime
x3

Post by MillerTime » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 19:23

Man I really have it good.

Here's my typical day. Get up make her coffee and see her off to work, make myself a coffee and go play ti'll 11am. 11-12pm clean house do few choores. Play from 12pm to 2pm then go to the gym and workout. come back home and play from 4-6pm when she gets home. Then she has my full attention and the house is clean an supper is on the table :)

I got her a laptop + few MSN games = lots of free time.

BTW I have two computers on my desk one plays while I read the forums at the same time.
Antec 3700-QBE - True-Blue 480 Watt - K8V Deluxe - AMD 3200+ - 1G Kingston HyperX PC3500 - X800XL 256 AGP - 480 Gig Barracuda's - Plextor PX-708A - LG GCE-8320B - HP P1110 Trinitron FD - Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro - Megaworks 550's.

Xmortis
x3

Post by Xmortis » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 19:44

A wife, and an 11 month old baby. Thats me. I can't play games during daylight hours anymore. Baby goes to bed ~8pm. Wife goes to bed ~10-11pm. My gaming hours ~11pm-2am.

I wake up at 7am for work.

The result? Tired. Boy am I tired :) But I'm at least satisfied that I can get my gaming fix.

Of course that won't fly every night. I take periodic break nights to keep the wife's threat meter in the green.

My wife once said "You're like a kid." In response to my gaming hobby. I replied.. "Whats wrong with that? I'd rather have a child-like side than be a stuck up, serious and unhappy person." She had no answer for that.

She knew darn well I was a gamer before we got married. Heck, we lived together for 3+ years before hand. So not like she wasn't warned! 5 Years married.. so I guess we've got the balance of things right.

My advice to those without wives/partners. Marriage is not freedom. Be warned. Also be sure to let them know exactly who you are before you marry. Let them see you at your worst after being on a 12+ hour gaming binge.

Oh, and weekends are 'quality time' and 'honey-do time'. Thats Honey Do This and Honey Do That time.

BTW - I let me wife know I can't stand TV..which is true. So in the evening if she put some horrid program on, I can justify going to game early. I'd rather suffocate in space than be forced to watch a crappy sitcom or so-called 'reality' TV series.

Goffries
x3

Post by Goffries » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 19:46

HA! i got you all beat... my girlfreind sits down with me and either plays x3 on her computer or we play it togethor on mine and try to figure out the best ecnomical desicions and stuff... i love her so much

Hansaw
x3

Post by Hansaw » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 20:20

LOL This is so cool... So I'm not the only one with a Mrs for a headache.

I got my Mrs a Sony PS2 and Game Boy Advance and I also built her a PC connected to cable Internet with every damn game she has ever shown any interest in.. She also has Sky TV and and how much time will she spend on any of this lot.... NONE! if I put her PC on it would blow out the cobwebs, only time I get to play is when she is at work and stays there for the night, she works in London and has a flat there.

When she is here I spend my time sitting with her in the same room with my computer watching those damn cooking programs she loves so much (YUCK!) I hate them. Can I play while she watches TV?.. NO because she can't stand looking at the back of my head, she says.

And for all you young people without a woman, you got a HUGE shock coming as a relationship is not all sex and bliss, for her its a headache and for you its hardwork and lots of spent cash LOL.

Stay safe!

Hansaw
Hansaw sits for the 1st time in his brand new M3. After smilling happily to himself he looks about and becomes frustrated. "I paid enough for this ship, so where's the damn MP3 Player!" he yells

EsGi
x3

Post by EsGi » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 20:34

Goffries wrote:HA! i got you all beat... my girlfreind sits down with me and either plays x3 on her computer or we play it togethor on mine and try to figure out the best ecnomical desicions and stuff... i love her so much
She got any sisters. :lol: I could do with an upgrade.

FredFox
x3

hahahahaha

Post by FredFox » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 20:59

I'm reading these posts out to my wife - the PC is in the living room with the TV, and she's laughing. While I'm playing, my wife either watches TV or reads a book or works or surfs the net on her laptop.

We've got a son who's 20 months old. When he goes to bed around 7ish I get to play. We alternate who's "on call" each night in case our son wakes up. I can play games or do what ever I want, after my son has gone to bed, and to be honest I'd rather spend the time with him than playing computer games - he'd rather I did too :) It's the same at the weekends, once our son is sorted out it's time for us.

We've got it sorted. We've spent many nights hardly speaking to each other because we've been completely wrapped up in whatever we're doing :) When one or the other wants to go out with friends, we go, if we go out together our son comes with us.

I love it. Wouldn't change a thing.

dave woods
x3

Post by dave woods » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 21:05

l LOVE MONDAYS :D 7.00 emerdale 7.30 corry 8.00 eastenders 8.30 corry 9.00-9.30 bath TWO and a HALF x3 heaven :D :D :D
comes the hour comes the MAN!!!

bvschipper
x3tc

A Few Suggestions

Post by bvschipper » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 22:14

Having read these posts, I find it entirely amusing that so many gamers have to balance X3 and their significant other. I, too, have a fiance and an inclination to game. My suggestions for occupying your special someone:

1.) If she enjoys music, definately look to satellite radio and/or iTunes. My fiance listens to both. When she is not shopping for that "must have" new song she heard on XM, she is dancing, running or biking to her iPod.

2.) If she has shown any interest in gaming, I highly recommend introducing her to World of Warcraft. Something about playing a Night Elf and finding matching armor occupies her for hours. The social aspect also is reinforcing (e.g., a lot of people play computer games). The Sims 2 is good for those women that still want to play with dolls--albeit ones that soil themselves. Other then those games, I have had no results with strategy, shooters, or simulations.

It is my personal belief that women are less inclined to have the fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination to initially enjoy gaming. Building those skills through easy-to-learn games surely will ameliorate the anxiety (and associated displeasure) women have towards gaming.

Regards,
Brad

tanaka_k
x3

Post by tanaka_k » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 00:22

well university starts again for me next week. forget empire building. might have a few hours to play every weekend. or i could just SETA during the week and spend during the weekend :roll:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 00:29

apricotslice wrote:Try to get her to develop her own interests that take her out of the house for an entire and very late evening. Especially interests where you will not be welcome at.
Ah, you mean like a boyfriend. :P :lol:

Gamers should only marry gamers, IMHO. :lol: :lol:

My wife plays Morrowind, Runescape, and others like that. She actually started out on Doom and Doom II many years ago. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Wolfehunter
x3tc

Post by Wolfehunter » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 01:25

:twisted: I bought my wife 2 laptops one for her sims and the other for her websites / chats / blogs etc. So I barely hear her. heheeheheheh ahahahahhaha. Oops. I hope she isn't reading this.

Hi hunnie :D Is it bed time already? :roll:

Khardur
x3

Post by Khardur » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 01:37

Oh, funny thread...

I work nights, so I play x3 when I get home in the morning @ 5:45am, game time depends on when my son wakes up and wants to play/eat breakfast. I can throw a load of laundry in, do dishes real quick while I let the computer boot up.

My wife doesn't mind me playing games, I just got her re-addicted to The Sims 2, along with numerous card games. My 1.5 yr old son knows where the joystick USB plug goes in the computer *sniffle* I'm so proud. :D
1024x768 all on high/AA/AF on. Woot!

Kurios Kronou
x3

Post by Kurios Kronou » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 02:50

A couple of years ago, my wife and I did a weekend course on the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator (MBTI) - a well researched and documented personality typing system based around Jungian psychology theory.

In doing this, we discovered that she was 'extrovert' and I was 'introvert'. Now, we each have ideas of what these terms mean, but Jungian theory is quite strict on its definitions. Basically, Extroverts are 'charged up' by being with people - they need to be with people in order to be alone. Introverts, on the other hand, are drained by people, but strengthened by solitude - they need to be alone in order to be with people. The ratios, while differing for each individual, is roughly 2:1 - so for every hour I spend with people, I need two to recuperate my strength (or I get really, really grumpy).

Now, once we understood how each of us ticked, we could build this time into our relationship. I know she needs time to interact, so I give that time. She, however, also knows I need time to be alone - so she does not resent me the time, even if I am gaming (she will sometimes play Solitaire (!?) just to sit with me while I'm blasting Kha'ak!).

Now, here's the only problem. Both my son's and I are all Introverts, so we have to be really sensitive at weekends and holidays not to bog off onto our computers and play all day without eating or washing. And this can really be a problem if we play multiplayer 'Age of Empires'....and we have tried to get 'Mum' interested in this....but to no avail. Even RPGing the kids in HalfLife provides her with little satisfaction - I guess we need to learn to play 'Hearts'!

Anyway, the solution to all these problems is (in my view) book on a MBTI course and use science (or at least psychology) to justify your antisocial habits! That way, you can get away with (almost) anything!

Twelvefield
x3

Post by Twelvefield » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 03:56

As part of pre-marital couselling, Mrs. Twelvefield & I also did the M-B Personality Inventory. Pretty much any couple with withs and/or brains should try this. You will learn a lot about each other, even us, who had been dating steadily for 8 years and engaged for 2 previous to the counselling.

G Morgan
x3

Post by G Morgan » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 04:10

Twelvefield wrote:As part of pre-marital couselling, Mrs. Twelvefield & I also did the M-B Personality Inventory. Pretty much any couple with withs and/or brains should try this. You will learn a lot about each other, even us, who had been dating steadily for 8 years and engaged for 2 previous to the counselling.
Assuming these people understand enough about the human mind which is one of the most complex systems we know of. It's interesting Physics (which is the most accurate of the sciences) describes every theory as a model and makes great efforts to detail all the flaws and errors that are potentially in a set of data.

Whereas the science of the brain and mind is the most complex and least understood field there is yet people put a whole lot of faith in consulars and shrinks. I'm sure some people get benefits from these things but generally I prefer self counseling and in any relationship of any kind I'm always frank and will voice a problem and insist on getting to the bottom of others problems as well.

Twelvefield
x3

Post by Twelvefield » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 04:21

The thing about the MB Personality Inventory isn't so much that the counsellor knows everything there is to know about the brain, in fact, it
's rather the opposite. The purpose of a personality inventory is to provide a sort of starting vocabulary for understanding how our personality works. It's a lot like pointing to a ripe apple and saying "That's red.". On it's own, MB won't solve enything because it isn't designed to "understand" the workings of the brain. It more or less allows you to identify with common words the main strokes of your personality.

As anyone who is in a relationship knows, coming to an understanding in simple, clear, vocabulary of what the other person is thinking, and what their motivations are, is pure gold. I'm sure there's other ways of doing it, including self-analysis, but for a quick, concise, easy-to-use program, it's hard to beat Myers-Briggs: it's been around for a long time, the data is extremely robust, and the results are repeatable.

lokiel
x3

Post by lokiel » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 08:26

Surely when "The Missus" starts nagging you can employ "The Amorous" strategy:

1. Indicate that her nagging is making you randy as all hell.

2. If she feigns a headache she'll back off, leaving you free to play X3. :D

3. If she responds favourably to your advances then what the hell are you still playing video games for? :twisted:

4. If none of the above, ditch her 'cos she's just a BITCH!

ie. It's a win-win situation, you can't lose.
"loose"=>unsecured, to release
"lose"=>to be beaten, to misplace
"looser"=>not as secure
"loser"=>one who has been beaten, one who has misplaced something

GET IT RIGHT!!! (especially X3TC's Manual Pg 26)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”