Sector Trader/Universe Trader Guide Now Available (X3)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ajy170
x3tc

Post by Ajy170 » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 10:22

I have to say that this is one of the most helpful guides i have read so far. You guys really do go beyond the call of duty when it comes to helping us noobs get into this great game :D I myself am looking into this aspect of the game and the ideas for what ship to use and what sector will really come in handy, thanks a lot and keep up the good work!

0zymandias

Post by 0zymandias » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 11:22

Thank you too. This guide was a great help and should save about 5 repeat topics on the subject a day. :P

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 13:47

Great post - thanks! A couple of things - why are you not suggesting using the Caiman Super Freighter from Family Njy - by far the best trader for this job... fast (ish) at 90ms and over 10k cargo maxed out... No contest really - swapped all my dolphins for these and made loads more cash...

Also when they run out of energy - all you have to do is jump them to a SPP sector and restart the UT command - you don't have to wait for them to dock at an SPP (unless there are enemies when they get there... but very rare)

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 14:37

BBO as far as the Caimen superfreighter goes: First I've never used it - so feel a little uncomfortable recommending it (It's one of the only ones i haven't used yet unfortunatly) and the information in this excel sheet which some kind forum user provided says that although the caimen superf's spped is around 90 it's cargo is only at 6475 which makes t nowhere near as good as the other superF's.

If this information is wrong tell me because if you're right then the caimen superF is definatly the best - will check in game today sometime.

I'm aware that the information is quite as full as i'd like on the last bits (like the "Help I've run out of fuel" stuff) When I update it (next week hopefully) i'll max these sections out with some other ideas.

cheers

FyreByrd

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 16:13

FyreByrd wrote:BBO as far as the Caimen superfreighter goes: First I've never used it - so feel a little uncomfortable recommending it (It's one of the only ones i haven't used yet unfortunatly) and the information in this excel sheet which some kind forum user provided says that although the caimen superf's spped is around 90 it's cargo is only at 6475 which makes t nowhere near as good as the other superF's.

If this information is wrong tell me because if you're right then the caimen superF is definatly the best - will check in game today sometime.

I'm aware that the information is quite as full as i'd like on the last bits (like the "Help I've run out of fuel" stuff) When I update it (next week hopefully) i'll max these sections out with some other ideas.

cheers

FyreByrd
Each shipyards version of tankers and superfreighter ships seems to be different - the caiman sf in Family Njy is 89.99ms and 10,375 cargo at max... which is fab!! Use them for almost everything... The Dolphin tanker from Lucky Planets is probably about the worst version of any of the ships - it's got 6000 or something and goes at 48ms... which is not good... who would buy those???

There is a ship list in the guides sticky - that details all the different types of freighter and all the little differences within each type...

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 18:01

slab wrote:Is it possible to swap the traders between ships ?
Yes, but several have reported having problems getting the pilot to switch ship. I haven't tried myself yet (going to try tonight), but the tips I've gotten so far:

The new ship should not have ANY equipment installed EXCEPT for at least one 25MJ shield. When you transfer the pilot to the new ship, he will automatically bring whatever equipment he needs with him from the old ship. If the new ship contains too much equipment, the pilot refuses to 'move in'... :roll:

Very helpful guide, by the way!

Cheers,
ASUS A8R32-MVP DELUXE
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2 Ghz
OCZ 2048MB Dual Channel Platinum Edition RAM
WD Raptor X 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
Radeon X1900XTX 512MB PCIe 16x
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Lian Li Miditower PC6070BSCAND w/Hiper R580W PSU
Win XP Pro SP2 w/MS dual-core CPU hotfix

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 20:49

~~Just goes out an buys 10 Caimen SuperF's~~~

Guess I was using outdated info - Cheers will pick up more info and redo the recomendations when update.

Cheers

FyreByrd

Yellowjack
x4

Post by Yellowjack » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 20:52

Very useful guide from FyreByrd thank you.

I think that the guide should include something on Pilot transfers as it is always being mentioned in this forum.

I am under the impression that unless a ship has XL cargo capability it cannot go from Sector Trader to Universal Trader and this has been my experience with a TP. If this is confirmed it would also be worth mentioning in the guide.

Keep up the good work FyreByrd. :thumb_up:
In the Spirit of ELITE

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 20:57

As mentioned before will put the stuff in about pilot transfers when i update next week

As for TP's not becoming universe traders the option is lit for them to start but I must confess I haven't got any tp's up to level 8 yet to see if that is possible at the moment i think it is but will check and if it isn't will certainly put it in the update - cheers Yellowjack

FyreByrd

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:02

TPs cannot equip a jump drive... that's why they can't be Universe Traders...

To transfer a UT trader to another ship - you have to be in sector (I believe) and go to your own ship's command console - special commands - change pilot... then select the UT trader first, then the ship you wish him to move to and finally the station... The UT will take with him... 1x25MJ shield, 1xMk3 software, 1x fight command software mk 1, 1x fight command software... that's all he needs to do his job. Make sure your new ship does not have any of the software installed before you make the change... doesn't matter about shields, though he'll take them anyhow.

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:06

TP's are quite able to carry jumpdrive's i have a tp as my personal resupply vehicle carrying ecells and mass driver ammo and he quite happly uses his Jdrive - so that should have nothing to do with whether it can uni trade or not

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:09

Really - which one do you have? The one's I've seen can only carry S type goods and the jumpdrive has an M class rating... doesn't it?

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:14

Although i'm still going on my already admitted dodgy ship information but....

the express,manta,iguana, and toucan all have "S" restrictions so they won't mount a jumpdrive. but all the rest have "L" restrictions so they can - my utility ship is an Iguana Vanguard (I'm sure you know the one!) which is dead useful to resupply with - and i have another capped one that I tested the tp sector trading stuff on. and once he's up to the grade I'll check the uni trader stuff with him too!

Cheers

FyreByrd

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:17

You can cap Iggy Vanguards...?? I'm having one of those - sold the other near the start for some funds... :doh:

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:26

with the sound of "Split Now Give You Death" ringing in his ears...

I sold all the freebies except the iggy van it just looked far too usefull - they're also good ships to do personal trading in cos there an awfull lot faster than ts's and still got a reasonable hold on them maxed out. (Plus of course you get the satisfaction of killing off a few split to get them!)

Cheers

FyreByrd

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:29

Yup sod the rep! Split Family Protector... my a**e!

Yellowjack
x4

Post by Yellowjack » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:30

Sorry Big Bad Orca but my TP is jump drive equipped and it works just fine, I won't tell it that its not supposed to have if you won't. :wink:

In fact I think that the only ships that can't be jump drive equipped are M5s due cargo size (s) limitations.
In the Spirit of ELITE

Yellowjack
x4

Post by Yellowjack » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:38

Can anyone confirm that Universal trader needs XL cargo carrying capacity?

If so this should be mentioned in the guide.
In the Spirit of ELITE

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:39

Ah well I did all my criminal activies (Capping races ships drug running, etc) at the start of the game now i'm a respectable trader and merchanteer, who occasionally when attacking a pirate in split space suffers an attack of bloodlust and unleashes all his fury on every split ship that he can.

Jumpdrives have a M size cargo rating so no ships that have S only restrictions can carry them (like most m5's and a coupla tp's (see above))

Cheers

FyreByrd

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Thu, 1. Dec 05, 21:49

Can anyone confirm that Universal trader needs XL cargo carrying capacity?
Thats never been a requirement unless it got changed, its just a good solid reconmendation.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”