doubleshadow's X3 Editor (0.15 - patch 2.0 compatible)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

doubleshadow
x3

doubleshadow's X3 Editor (0.15 - patch 2.0 compatible)

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 21. Nov 05, 12:24

Note: This software is no longer actively developed. It was superseded by X3 Editor 2.

X3 Editor latest version 0.0.15 - released 9.3.2007

Download from www.doubleshadow.wz.cz.

Don't forget to download the DevIL plugin (available at X3E download page) so you will be able to see Missile and Laser icons.

There is X3 Editor page on X-Wiki which can point you to other useful info and tutorials.

If your antivirus gives you a warning about X3E or X3MM patch, read Virus issues with doubleshadow's tools on X-Wiki for possible reasons.

Changes:

* fixed bug in TLaser which forbid you from change the Projectile (bullet) type

Description
X3E is successor to X2E :) It can edit T files, galaxy map files and xml text resource files. It can can open and save from/to catalog files so you don't need to unpack game data.

You can:
Edit and add new records into most T files.
Edit TShips files (adding turrets, lasers, ...)

Galaxy Editor and Text Resource Editor:
Both editors are fully functional as viewers but their ability to save files may be limited as they were designed for X2.

If you are new to X3 modding, you should also read how to make a mod using X3 ModManager.
Last edited by doubleshadow on Fri, 15. May 09, 09:00, edited 18 times in total.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 21. Nov 05, 12:31

Hi to all the old friends from X2 Modding and to all new people as well.

This is first release of X3 Editor (X3E). Although I know that there are threads with explanations of values in T files, I used my old X2 Editor as reference. There is lot of unknown values in TShips and in other T files as well which need to be revealed.

Although I know that some of the values may be known now, I didn't have access to internet in the past 5 days when I was doing the X3 conversion, so I used what I had at the moment.

Feel free to PM/e-mail me so I can update X3E to be at least as good as its predecessor was :)

One thing you may need to know: The game is running pretty slowly on my machine (and it crashed 5 mins after installation :lol: ) so I'm probably not going to play it. Of course with that, my ability to test things out is somewhat limited...

There are some areas where I need your help:

Every object in T file has "footer" consisting of 9 values (the last 9 values). Although Burianek post some explanation, it were just some unmeaning names - I need simple descriptive names please...

In TShips there are 5 unknown values - what are they?

All T files - check that the variables are really named correctly. The fact that Egosoft didn't changed the structure much doesn't mean that everything is as it was in X2.

In X3 Galaxy Maps there are new attributes in the XML. What are those attributes? AlaarDB do you hear me? I think you could melp me with that :)
Also there are new race numbers (indexes) in some of the sectors. I don't know what race it is.

If you want to know whether I will upgrade my other programs to work with X3, the answer is yes - check the X Tools thread
Last edited by doubleshadow on Mon, 21. Nov 05, 15:16, edited 4 times in total.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 21. Nov 05, 12:43

Wow. Im going to try galaxy editing. Never done that before. So far it looks great!

Good work.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 21. Nov 05, 12:48

Hm. Can I just ask somthing about galaxy editing. Are we totaly limited with what sectors we have. I noticed that X co-ordinates cant go higher than 20 and Y co-ordinates cant go higher than 14.

I dont suppose there is any way past this?
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 21. Nov 05, 13:14

OML wrote:Hm. Can I just ask somthing about galaxy editing. Are we totaly limited with what sectors we have. I noticed that X co-ordinates cant go higher than 20 and Y co-ordinates cant go higher than 14.

I dont suppose there is any way past this?
This is X2 limitation - I don't know if there is smilar limit in X3. I expect alaarDB to find it out soon :)

cwaHardy
x3

Post by cwaHardy » Mon, 21. Nov 05, 22:52

I never used any modding tools for X2 so im unfamiliar with your work, i'd just like to say kudos on a job very well done, its a great tool and its made my entry into editing and modding a hell of a lot easier :)

kryptyk
x4

Post by kryptyk » Mon, 21. Nov 05, 23:44

Howdy doubleshadow :mrgreen:

I'll install and give it a whirl. Was hoping you would be working on this and I'm happy you have a functional version. :thumb_up:

tgm
xr

Post by tgm » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 01:23

OK I tried it but program wont run

Error starting program: (X3VFS_Init): File not found: x3vfs.dll

any ideas :cry:

x3vfs.dll is there :?

tgm
xr

Post by tgm » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 01:25

x3vfs.dll is there

any Ideas :?

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 01:52

doubleshadow wrote: Every object in T file has "footer" consisting of 9 values (the last 9 values). Although Burianek post some explanation, it were just some unmeaning names - I need simple descriptive names please...
Give me an example of what you're talking about. I'm not sure every types file has the same structure for the last 9 entries. Give me a line from one of the types files you want me to decypher, and I'll try to be as specific as possible in explaining the last 9 values.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

Lothmorg
x3

Post by Lothmorg » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 02:01

Great work.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

unfunfofmpc
x3

Post by unfunfofmpc » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 04:45

Interesting stuff, shall I hand over the designing of an X3 Editor to your or keep working on mine? I think you are able to devote much more time to the program, and have modded the game much more seriously. So I believe I will stop programming my x3 editor.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 05:34

Good job with this!

Lazza
x3

Post by Lazza » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 06:12

Great work, Doubleshadow! Have unpacked Tships, it looks exactly like it was in X2.

My question is: Is there a value for the type of ship that can be docked in another? I want to make alterations to the Argon Mammoth, give it a load more docking slots, but I read elsewhere in X3 it can only carry ships up to M6 size, I want it to be able to carry TS`s, like it did in X2.

TIA, Lazza

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 08:43

kryptyk wrote:Howdy doubleshadow :mrgreen:

I'll install and give it a whirl. Was hoping you would be working on this and I'm happy you have a functional version. :thumb_up:
Kryptyk - you're still alive :? :) - how's the corn? :lol:
Nice to see you again. I was thinking about writing you an e-mail but then I reconsider that - thought you are no longer interested in X2/3.
Burianek wrote:Give me an example of what you're talking about. I'm not sure every types file has the same structure for the last 9 entries. Give me a line from one of the types files you want me to decypher, and I'll try to be as specific as possible in explaining the last 9 values
Look here at X2 and X3 examples:

X2 - SS_SH_A_TL - Argon Mammoth - last 5 values

Code: Select all

1 - volume
700000 - price
25 - price modifier (1)
1 - price modifier (2)
0 - ware class
X3 - SS_SH_A_TL - Mammoth - last 9 values

1 - volume
351145 - price
25 - price modifier (1)
1 - price modifier (2)
0 - ware class
351145 - price again?
3333 - min. notoriety
0 - ?
0 - ?
X2 - SS_WARE_ENERGY - Energy Cells - last 5 values

1 - volume
4 - price
65 - price modifier (1)
10 - price modifier (2)
1 - ware class
X3 - SS_WARE_ENERGY - Energy Cells - last 9 values

1 - volume
4 - price
25 - price modifier (1)
10 - price modifier (2)
1 - ware class
4 - price again?
-100 - min notoriety
1016 - ?
0 - ?
tgm wrote: OK I tried it but program wont run

any ideas
You probably don't have the C runtime and zlib1 library installation files - get it here. After you run it, choose "other directory" and select the directory where is your X3E installed. That should help. If not, e-mail/PM me.
Lazza wrote:My question is: Is there a value for the type of ship that can be docked in another? I want to make alterations to the Argon Mammoth, give it a load more docking slots, but I read elsewhere in X3 it can only carry ships up to M6 size, I want it to be able to carry TS`s, like it did in X2.
That's specified in the .obj files as it was in X2. You will need the objhack from CheckerTwo to modify it. I don't know if X3 obj files are the same as they were in X2. It's up to you to try it.

Crypton
x3

Post by Crypton » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 11:37

Grade A stuff ! :) Thanks doubleshadow and cheers for the help ;)

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 12:09

bear in mind that TS and TPs may literally not fit in TL docking bays.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 12:51

Doubleshadow:

Thanks for the great job. Being a noob (never used your tools before) I have two questions:

#1 I open the TShips.pck via cat and see all info for the selected ship in the right part of the window. How do I change values, say cargo type, or how do I add things, like guns?

#2 In the TShips listing (right window as under #1) I'm missing the laser energy and the laser recharge rate. Is it not possible to change them using your editor?

Cheers Euclid

cwaHardy
x3

Post by cwaHardy » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 13:09

euclid wrote:#2 In the TShips listing (right window as under #1) I'm missing the laser energy and the laser recharge rate. Is it not possible to change them using your editor?
The laser energy and recharge rates are changable, they're just listed as unknown values at the bottom of the Info tab.

Load up Tships and on the 1st tab "info" scroll to the bottom, using the Argon Colossus as an eg you'll see "Unknown Value 53200" which is laser energy, "Unknown Value 0.015" which is the recharge rate (0.0 will mean it never recharges, 1.0 will mean it never depletes AFAIK)

To change them simply doubleclick on the value, and enter your own. :)

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 13:21

euclid wrote:Being a noob
:lol: with your post count? - then what am I? :o
euclid wrote:How do I change values, say cargo type, or how do I add things, like guns?
As cwaHardy said + check the help file (X3Editor.chm) - you must open in manually as the Help icon is broken (looking for X2 version :oops: )
euclid wrote:#2 In the TShips listing (right window as under #1) I'm missing the laser energy and the laser recharge rate. Is it not possible to change them using your editor?
Again answered by cwaHardy + you can always change anything even if it is not listed in the object stats. You can always switch to "Raw" mode and change values there.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”