X3: Multiplayer support.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pumpkin10
x3

X3: Multiplayer support.

Post by Pumpkin10 » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:09

I'm not asking if it's going to happen, nor is this a beggers thread.

I'm just going to state that it'd be pretty cool if X3: Reunion had a little multiplayer support, noting big, just like 1 or 2 other human players in one universe.

I have no Idea wheather this is even possible, discuss.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:14

It is not possible.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Pumpkin10
x3

Post by Pumpkin10 » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:17

Ohnoes.

In this case, I hope the A.I. doesn't fully consist of turning around when you shoot it, head on suicide runs, and flying ahead for a while, then turning back for a head on collision. :x

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:22

It doesn't.

Pumpkin10
x3

Post by Pumpkin10 » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:28

Incredible.

Banana Split
x3

Post by Banana Split » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:28

It took little time to learn all the flight patterns/manouvers of enemies in X². I'm expecting to be made to work harder this time. :)

Pumpkin10
x3

Post by Pumpkin10 » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:55

I think It'd be pretty suprising (If there were more realistic physics in the game) if I was chasing a ship, and POW, it spins around and starts pasting me with missles while flying backwards. :!: :!: :!:

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:59

I hate the word Impossible used to describe a game feature. EG a type computer program that commonly has multiplayer options. It makes Egosoft sound like they are too stupid to write multiplayer code.

Im more a fan of "That will not happen". Just as definate but not as over used and not so out of context :)

Of course Abyss, if you said that you would break the 10 word limit for this thread in your posts :lol:

Unless you dropped the NOT, in which case youd say "That will happen" and but still be at 10 words for this thread.

But id be happy with that response :D

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 23:18

giskard wrote:I hate the word Impossible used to describe a game feature. EG a type computer program that commonly has multiplayer options. It makes Egosoft sound like they are too stupid to write multiplayer code.

Im more a fan of "That will not happen". Just as definate but not as over used and not so out of context :)

Of course Abyss, if you said that you would break the 10 word limit for this thread in your posts :lol:

Unless you dropped the NOT, in which case youd say "That will happen" and but still be at 10 words for this thread.

But id be happy with that response :D

Giskard
Hmm.

Not possible is different to impossible.

Like "In X3 multiplayer / online is not possible. It is not impossible for X-OU" of course. :wink:

Possible could be placed with "desirable".

The whole thread could be replaced with a search and read. :roll:

X2 will not be online. X3 will not be online. A game currently called X-OU is in development that will be online. It is not X2 or X3 but is rather a game in it's own right. Let's get X3 first and move on from there.

Oh, and X3 will not be online or multiplayer :P

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 23:20

You've just about covered it there. :D

The only thing I can think of that you missed from the original post is that there is no such thing as "a little multiplayer support". A game either is multiplayer or it isn't, and in this case, as you have so clearly explained, it isn't.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 00:15

You forgot in-game chat. There won't be any in-game chat. Or browser functionality, or forum access. Those are the other suggestions that have come up before now! :)
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 00:41

softweir wrote:You forgot in-game chat. There won't be any in-game chat. Or browser functionality, or forum access. Those are the other suggestions that have come up before now! :)
ALT + Tab works well.

Ingame chat?

"I'm in Argon Prime with 200 Silicon wafers"

"I'm there too"

"Where are you?"

"I'm playing a different game to you"

"Roger that"

"er - how is the weather where you are?"

Commercial value - zero

Amusement value for one thread - (I'd love to say priceless) debatable.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 01:06

I wounder if gta 3/vice/sa had multiplayer code in originally or not. If not then its amazing what Multi Theft Auto does with them games to make them have online multiplayer. I wounder if there could be a x game where its extremily moddable and so let some mod group do a mp mod for it like MTA ppl are doing for the gta games.

I think people only want a skirmish mode with some players fighitng in one sector or a small group of sectors. Shouldnt be too hard to do. As in no stations or other ships just player used ships that is 1 per player and somewhere to skirmish in.

Anyhow i know its futile talking about it. But doesnt mean we cant keep on at egosoft to put it in a future game that is NOT x-ou.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 01:11

What would the (commercial) value be in that to Egosoft? Not just "oh, more dedicated fans" etc but cold hard numbers vs the huge additional development time? And how would the publishers gain?

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 01:46

It'd require releasing the source code, most likely. You'd then need to write some network code into it, and then get around various other problems. Which computer runs the universe? Do you run it with a host, or a server? Weapons hits calculated clientside ("lagless", but open to cheating) or serverside (more secure, but more prone to lag)? What you going to do about SETA?

Multiplayer X (apart from not being desirable AFAI am concerned) is not as "easy" as you wish it to be.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 01:51

The_Abyss wrote:
softweir wrote:You forgot in-game chat. There won't be any in-game chat. Or browser functionality, or forum access. Those are the other suggestions that have come up before now! :)
ALT + Tab works well.

Ingame chat?

"I'm in Argon Prime with 200 Silicon wafers"

"I'm there too"

"Where are you?"

"I'm playing a different game to you"

"Roger that"

"er - how is the weather where you are?"

Commercial value - zero

Amusement value for one thread - (I'd love to say priceless) debatable.
I think you missed my sarcasm there in your eagerness to vent yours!
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 02:16

if people truely think about how say... X2 works...

what multiplayer possibility could it have??

with the obvious SETA problem.. youd both have to be in the same ship, eg 1 flying and 1 maybey in a turret..

i could mention a hundred other points.. but its been covered too often before.. by myself, and numerous others..

the X games would need to be practically redesigned from scratch to support any form of multiplayer..

at a basic level...
it could be done in the "total war" style of games...
2 or more players start with pre determined fleets to engage the other players with.. However.. without the empire building, and the basic freedom of X in "doing your own thing..." it wouldnt be X anymore... would it..

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 08:14

Actually, the issue of SETA for any online version has already been resolved.

[ external image ]

With each game, the player receives a free set of these, together with detailed instructions on how to remove the J key from their keyboard safely. Needless to say, this also required some significant development work, so I can confirm that the J key will never be remappable in any future game ever.

:roll:

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 20:41

Setas easy.

You change the name from Seta to Sector Warp Drive. :)

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 21:27

Just to remind people, the engine used in the X series is not an off-the-shelf licensed engine where the network code exists but isn't used. It's a custom engine where the network code has never existed.

Even the tinest feeblest network feature, such as server-side statistics or chat, is impossible without somebody writing a network stack interface for the engine, and that's a zero priority for the single player game series.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”