Input Number of Missile Volleys repeatedly pops up

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

KruniacZio
x3ap

Input Number of Missile Volleys repeatedly pops up

Post by KruniacZio » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 17:12

I've been debugging this problem (By testing various mods) for 15 hours total. I am tired of this.

Regardless of what I do, I cannot track down why, after enabling Thereshallbewings, at random intervals ranging from 1 second to 2 minutes, I get the UI popup for "Input Number of Missile Volleys", regardless of my ship type.

I'm in a Buster. There is zero reason for the missile barrage function to be called. Zero.

I have repeatedly reinstalled a fresh copy of TC (GOG) to test mods.

I have tested vanilla - works fine.

I have tested just the plugin manager with Modified enabled. Works fine so far.

I have spent 13+ hours testing various combinations of .spk and .zip mods.

So far, I have narrowed it down to just my .spk mods.

The list is as follows:

Mods that are suspect:

AdvancedNavigationSoftware-V1.20-10.08.2010
CheatCollectionPackage-V1.60-15.10.2009
EquipmentResearchandDevelopment-V1.00-03.06.2009
ImprovedBoarding-V1.23.01(Bullwinkle_Hack)-2012-05-02
ImprovedRaces2.0-V1.08-6.5.2012
JSONparserlibrary-V1.2-25.09.2011
MilitaryBaseResponseRevamp-V4.05-23.07.2018
NoStationWrecks-V1.0-11.09.2010
SalvageClaimSoftware-V1.21-20.01.2010
SalvageCommandsandNPCs-V1.5-20.11.2008
UniversalBestBuysSells_251a_dblade

Mods that were included AFTER the problem manifested itself, so should be fine:

TRP - ATF Shipyard for X3TC v1.4
TRP - Operation Loki v1.0
TRP - Project Sleipnir v1.0
TRP - Terran Marines v1.6
TRP - Terran MOB v1.2
TRP - Unknown Terran Pirate Base v1.4
rrf.2.2

I know the issue is either ANY given mod (meaning somehow ANY mod is breaking my game by calling this function repeatedly), or a SINGLE mod is breaking my game. However, I'd rather not test every single .spk, given that I've been working on this since 10 AM yesterday. I haven't even gotten a chance to do a TC playthrough :(

To save me a little time and effort, are there any X3 modding gurus out there who could theorize what the issue is? Or rather, theorize as to what is causing the issue, as the issue is clearing that SOMETHING is (probably mistakenly) calling the barrage function, causing the UI popup.

This never used to happen back in the day when I played TC/AP. It doesn't happen with LU for AP. I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen with my XTC install without any other mods installed besides XTC.

Someone help! Thanks for reading.

KruniacZio
x3ap

Post by KruniacZio » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 17:30

More info:

TRP - ATF Shipyard for X3TC v1.4
TRP - Operation Loki v1.0
TRP - Project Sleipnir v1.0
TRP - Terran Marines v1.6
TRP - Terran MOB v1.2
TRP - Unknown Terran Pirate Base v1.4

Have been tested. No issue with all of them installed at once, so I highly doubt it is an arbitrary issue.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 17:35

disable half of the mods and check for the presents of the bug, continue with 1/4...
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

KruniacZio
x3ap

Post by KruniacZio » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 17:38

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:disable half of the mods and check for the presents of the bug, continue with 1/4...
Was hoping for more technical expertise, as two other people have had this problem and blamed a missile defense mod which was not the cause, so instead of troubleshooting them, they were just told "My mod didn't do it".

There has to be other cases of this issue, and I'm genuinely surprised that no one has this problem with any of those spks. They are pretty useful and I'd imagine common.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 17:43

well it's pretty difficult to find the correct script if a great amount of them is active.
You can either try a code review and search for call script comands or first identfy the package and than run a review within the package.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

TechSY730
x3ap

Post by TechSY730 » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 19:24

MilitaryBaseResponseRevamp-V4.05-23.07.2018

It's an issue with this script. I have already figured out the issue and I will roll out an update to fix it.

EDIT: Fix is live: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... 70#4720670

KruniacZio
x3ap

Post by KruniacZio » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 19:35

I have dumped every single mod in that list to XML, and parsed the entire collection.

I have also looked into ship.cmd.missile.attack.std.pck and determined that this is the script which contains the code for missile volley queries.

I then ran a parse search of the xml collection for ship.cmd.missile.attack and found that only plugin.mbase.job.attack.std calls that function.

I can only theorize that Military Base Response, combined with Improved Races and other crap that I have run, is going haywire trying to target things with missile volleys, and is somehow calling the function on me.

I suppose my questions now are:

1: Does this sound like a valid explanation?

2: If this isn't the explanation, and my mods keep breaking my game (after removing Military Base Response), could I simply delete ship.cmd.missile.attack.std.pck and just kill the missile volley logic entirely, ensuring that the game LITERALLY CANNOT send me the UI query?

Alternately, could I just open the .pck and manually remove the UI query logic to prevent the UI popup specifically?

TechSY730
x3ap

Post by TechSY730 » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 19:38

That was indeed the issue. When I made the change to plugin.mbase.job.attack.std, I was using AP's version of the script, which does not ask the user for input, unaware that TC's version does. I have fixed it by including a offshoot of AP's version and including that with the mod, and having plugin.mbase.job.attack.std call that version instead.

As mentioned in the edit, I have pushed a fix for it:
https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... 70#4720670

KruniacZio
x3ap

Post by KruniacZio » Mon, 30. Jul 18, 19:45

TechSY730 wrote:That was indeed the issue. When I made the change to plugin.mbase.job.attack.std, I was using AP's version of the script, which does not ask the user for input, unaware that TC's version does. I have fixed it by including a offshoot of AP's version and including that with the mod, and having plugin.mbase.job.attack.std call that version instead.

As mentioned in the edit, I have pushed a fix for it:
https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... 70#4720670
About 16+ hours well spent.

Thank you so much for this reply. I'll update immediately.

Thank you SO much. :) :) :) :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”