[X3LU] Mayhem 3.21b

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Hariwulf
xr

Post by Hariwulf » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 15:13

Yes. I only added:
IE
IEX
IEX LUV PATCH

Is one of these incompatible?
Hariwulf

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 15:22

There's a "Compatibility" section in the install instructions.

They are all incompatible.

Hariwulf
xr

Post by Hariwulf » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 15:29

Then I am blind because I didn't notice where these Instructions are.
Sorry.

Any compatible "look overhaul"?
Hariwulf

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 16:50

No, only IEX made those changes.

However, Mayhem has different backgrounds and suns (from vanilla stock). Not much, but it changes from the LUV sectors.

Hariwulf
xr

Post by Hariwulf » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 21:04

Thank you for your patience.

So, Resurrection Mod seems compatible.
IEX is not. Now, 2 questions:

1. What about IE (meaning: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0)?

2 Anything (compatible) else that comes on top of your head?

Thank you. :)
Hariwulf

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 21:25

If it's not compatible with LU (Resurrection is), it's not compatible with Mayhem.

Hariwulf
xr

Post by Hariwulf » Mon, 2. Apr 18, 23:37

This Mod is quite interesting, and surely makes LUV feel more alive and varied... I would have a sort of request, it's about a different start.

I would like to start with a decent Fighter, few chaffs and missiles, and a bunch of credits needed to upgrade, buy few satellites, etc etc.

The reason is that these game starts are quite daunting, especially for someone new to these mods. There is too much going on, and the player have little, especially in the eyes of a new player.

I would like to be able to explore, do some missions as a pilot, THEN find a nice place for my first Sanctuary and eventually set it there. With time to enjoy the game and get acquainted to the new mechanics.
Talking of which: ships cannot be bought, not even with good rep. Are you 100% sure about this?

I tried few times From Scratch and The Vagrant starts, but I always get insta-gibbed by one single missile or a swarm of 3 enemies that eat my shields in no time. I also played Normal and Tutorial, but my population died before I could understand how to set my TS to bring food there, and this was right when I finished the tutorial! This is more frustrating than engaging. After 5 hours trying to get things going I start to feel annoyed.

The reason I am posting about my experience is not to criticize, but to let you understand what could be the perspective and experience of a new player. Anyway these are my 2 cents, do what you want with them.

Lastly, a technical question: is it normal that my Scan and News "boxes" appear between my Ship indicators (shields, speed) and aiming grid (the X)?
I saw few videos where they are at the bottom of the screen. Much less in the way.
Hariwulf

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 08:39

Mayhem is almost 3 years old; it has been through major redesign and with the in-game encyclopedia and tutorial, I've tried to make it understandable by newcomers. However, it's not an easy mod; and I don't plan to make it easier in the future. The fact that you are being killed by one single missile has nothing to with Mayhem. If you pilot a M4, don't try to fight a M3; that's LU's perspective. That being said, gamestarts are pretty easy to customize (two files: addon\director\start.xml and addon\types\gamestarts.xml).

Maybe you should start with LU, to get used to X3 and ship commands. LU is a vanilla plus, Mayhem is a different thing.

Technical answer: yes, it leaves room for players using real subtitles (infoboxes are a LU thing).

Hariwulf
xr

Post by Hariwulf » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 14:36

Will follow your advice, thanks! :)
Hariwulf

antb15
x3tc

Post by antb15 » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 12:42

Regarding difficulty, you eventually get the hang of it. There are a lot of important things in LU that you should get your head around. Plutarch tractor system, courier and mining ships for example. I've played vanilla and LU on and off for years but never stick with it long (past getting a single M7) due to lack of a goal. With Mayhem, surviving the OCV is a thing to aim for. You'll probably get wiped out a few times until you learn a few things, I would read all the tips in the Encyclopedia. Make a Scruffin fruit fact and you wont have to worry about starving.

My advice from my 10 day game, which I'm about to give up on. Don't focus too much on building ships immediately. Focus on getting OWPs asap. In my game I made my first sector with comp components, micro chips and quantum tubes. I ended up spending a lot of time tracking down basics such as cloth rimes, soja husk. In hindsight, i'd focus on station materials first, not ship materials.

Also - I settled for a poxy ts because the free one had very high maintenance/cost/research time. Big mistake. Find a decent TS as a priority. Just search for Pirate dealers, you can take them out easy and scan them.

I would also make an effort to find and scan a decent m7 as a priority. Probably even skipping an M6. Around Threat 13, 4 Large OWPs and 30 odd fighters won't cut it.

Also, finally. I was thinking of making my own start with some blueprints unlocked (but not researched) and no hourly threat, but I changed my mind. It can be thrilling finding the ship you want in the midst of a battle and successfully scanning. And the growing threat forces you to be vigilant and gives your choices weight.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll never play vanilla again.

Hariwulf
xr

Post by Hariwulf » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 15:44

Thanks for the advice antb15! :)

LITTLE REQUEST: Mayhem Lite

Would it be possible to have a "stripped down" version of Mayhem including:

1. Standard LU sectors (compatibility)

2. AI dynamic wars (as in Mayhem proper)

3. The ability for the Player to start as member of a faction (new alternate Starts) OR to pledge loyalty to a faction (and effectively become part of it)

3b. MAYBE Upon conquering enough sectors for the chosen faction, the player becomes its leader

4. Scan ships of enemy factions, or buy them from player's chosen- or friendly-factions.

5. No Sanctuary. Or at least not in the beginning. Sanctuaries could be still interesting as the player gain power and resources, and offer benefit to the allied faction(s) too.

And that's it. Basically I am asking for a simple, more action oriented, hybrid version of LU, borrowing the immersive and dynamic elements of Mayhem. A high sandbox/ chose your own adventure sort of thing.

I will keep my fingers crossed. :)
Hariwulf

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 18:04

Won't happen.

Ophidian

Post by Ophidian » Fri, 6. Apr 18, 20:43

Hey Joubarbe,

I really like the mod.

I find the OCV to be silly. They just get ridiculous stats and feel a bit cheap.

After playing normal, OCV hunter and Vagrant I decided to settle on Vagrant because it was the most "sane" choice.

I say that because the OCV by most perspectives don't make sense or play like any other faction in Mayhem. In stock LU they came from 1 sector so you could fight them back from where they started.

The Mayhem version just give 24h warning and warp in to a sector. Which doesn't make a lot of sense and becomes annoying when you're trying to set up "battle fronts" and "defense" using the sectors themselves.

Is there some way I can restore the stock function of the LU OCV in Mayhem? Let them start in Omicron channel?

Would a Vagrant start with the stand alone OCV work?

I also found the lack of the repair laser in the astronaut annoying. I modded my TShips/Lasers accordingly.

Thanks a bunch, it's been a fun mod so far.

Ophidian

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Fri, 6. Apr 18, 21:43

Ophidian wrote:Is there some way I can restore the stock function of the LU OCV in Mayhem? Let them start in Omicron channel?
No.

Ophidian

Post by Ophidian » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 00:14

Joubarbe wrote:
Ophidian wrote:Is there some way I can restore the stock function of the LU OCV in Mayhem? Let them start in Omicron channel?
No.
Is there something you can point me to for removing the "safe" sectors then?

I'd like to remove the Xenon safe sectors and let them go wild. It would feel better for game play than random incursions by OCV. I might give mild buffs to standard Xenon (10% max) as well and see how it plays out. Without help they seem to smash pretty much everyone unless the player intervenes.

This will let me turn the standard Xenon in to OCV-Lite and allow for their sectors to be permanently destroyed eventually.

Thanks a bunch.

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 08:34

I don't see how removing the safe sectors (i.e. the 10 sectors you cannot capture) would increase the aggressiveness of Xenons. Besides, removing the safe sectors will eventually crash the game.

Plus, if you don't like the randomness of OCV encounters (they are not random at all), I'm pretty sure you will hate pure random Xenon invasions (because that's what you'd have with your little trick; either unstoppable or very easy threats, and you'd have no control over it).

This is not a simple mod. You don't change the behavior of a faction by just removing two lines of code.

Ophidian

Post by Ophidian » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 21:59

Joubarbe wrote:I don't see how removing the safe sectors (i.e. the 10 sectors you cannot capture) would increase the aggressiveness of Xenons. Besides, removing the safe sectors will eventually crash the game.

Plus, if you don't like the randomness of OCV encounters (they are not random at all), I'm pretty sure you will hate pure random Xenon invasions (because that's what you'd have with your little trick; either unstoppable or very easy threats, and you'd have no control over it).

This is not a simple mod. You don't change the behavior of a faction by just removing two lines of code.
I'm not making them aggressive by removing two lines of code. Speaking of, where is the safe sector stuff located?

I'll make mods to their Ships, Etc that will make them more of a threat.

What I dislike is the lack of ability to attack the OCV base of operations. I can subdue any other race in the game
but I cannot subdue the Xenon or the OCV. Removing their safe sectors would allow me to subdue them. Or if the
OCV were instead a faction and not some random event (Like core LU).

I'm asking this stuff because I've modded a lot of stuff in my life and I'd like to tune up one last campaign while \
I wait for X4.

If you have other suggestions I'd like to hear em though. :)

Ophidian

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 23:44

Ophidian wrote:What I dislike is the lack of ability to attack the OCV base of operations.
Maybe you should play a little bit more...

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 06:18

Joubarbe wrote: Besides, removing the safe sectors will eventually crash the game.
@Joubarbe

In the all out attack from the OCV, the OCV were able to wipe out Safe sectors (and make them into Unknown sectors). Is this intended?

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 08:28

No, it's not.

Crashes occur when a faction has no sectors left to spawn automatic/job ships.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”