Organic Boron Hulls [TC][AP][Script]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Organic Boron Hulls [TC][AP][Script]

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 16. Nov 12, 12:22

Organic Boron Hulls
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Features
  • :arrow: Boron ship hulls self-repair over time (as you know they should).
    :arrow: This is not a "freebie" to overpower your fleet. Enemies heal four times faster than your own ships!
    :arrow: Repair speeds are configurable in the t file.
(Thanks to Bertone for the excellent idea.)

Compatibility
  • Works for TC and AP. Should be compatible with anything.

If you ask me whether it works with XRM, I'm going to tell you to punch yourself for asking. :)

Requirements
  • X3TC or X3AP
    Damaged Boron ship

How to Use
  • 1) Install with Plugin Manager or copy the contents of the archive to your game folder (X3TC\addon for AP).

2) Turn the Artificial Life Plugin "On". It is in your Gameplay settings (press Esc in space).

Configuration Options
  • The t file contains several options that you can use to configure the way that this script works.
    The options all have comments. I hope that the descriptions are clear. If not, then please ask so that I can clarify them in a future release.

History
  • v1.00 2012-11-16
    - Initial Release (Bertone)

* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Links
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Sat, 10. Jan 15, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Fri, 16. Nov 12, 13:13

An interesting way of rebalancing the Boron... ;)
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 13:27

love this !
in the X lore it is stated that boron (and paranid) have this technologie.
cool scrept very cool indeed know the boron feel more usfull

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 20:42

Some observations

1. Great little addon
2. Why 5 times, ai ships ain't the booker t of the x universe if they are checked pretty often 1x will do
3. although using an alp only is a short way for script file volume i'd personally feel something called via that script to run the checks and such would be better knowing the dark side of the SE
4.scripts called will stack, scripts running will stall

I didn't look at your code as i don't need to to know you know your code, i just toss the general principles i've come to know with the SE in your direction
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 21:43

Thank you, everyone.

Privata wrote:in the X lore it is stated that boron (and paranid) have this technology.

Are you saying that Paranids should have organic hulls, too? They are not as weak as vanilla Boron ships. However, for all of their supposed "technology", most Paranid ships tend to be on the weak side, as well. Perhaps they could have organic hulls, but with slower repair rates?

LV wrote:2) Why 5 times? AI ships ain't the [Mr T] of the x universe
[ external image ]

Are you referring to enemy ships repairing 4x faster than player-owned ships? My thinking there is that player-ship repairs do not happen fast enough to be of much help during combat, but *enemy* ships *do* repair fast enough to help them during combat. It is both a way of balancing and a way to make Boron ships somewhat more challenging, combat-wise. Vanilla Borons fight like little girls -- this should butch them up a little.

(I am always looking for ways to make combat challenging, because vanilla combat is too easy).

I have not tested the repair speeds under all conditions, but they are adjustable in the t file.

3 & 4) something called via that script to run the checks and such would be better knowing the dark side of the SE ... scripts called will stack, scripts running will stall
Thanks. I don't want the script to stack, but I also don't want it to stall. I should be able to do both by using a flag in a separate script. Also, I forgot a WAIT, so I need to do another release anyway.

PS: I sent you email on November 6th. Did you read it and ignore it, or do you not read your hotmail account (which I would understand, because I do not read my hotmail account, either)? I am just curious.

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 23:14

back in the X2 days ahhh nostalgica.....
I remember reading that the paranid had that technologie as well....
balancing is important so I dont know if they should have it....maybe 3 time slower for obvious reason :lol:

then again the terran weapon should be able to pwn jumpgate with m6 siezed ships but that would kill the balancing lol

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 23:34

my hotmail account currently has 921 unread emails of which yours isn't even there, you never got past the auto trash me thinks :)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 17. Nov 12, 23:40

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I haven't looked at my hotmail account in months.

I would use a PM, except that I am (almost) out of PM space. We minions don't get enough space to have any sort of conversation there.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sun, 18. Nov 12, 00:19

I think paranid ships are good enough as they are, boron small craft feels somewhat inferior so this is a welcome boost in strength
DrBullwinkle wrote:This is not a "freebie" to overpower your fleet. Enemies heal four times faster than your own ships!
good I rarely use boron ships anyway (well except for the biggest ones, but for those the effect of regen is probably insignificant)

Bertone
x3

Post by Bertone » Sun, 18. Nov 12, 23:17

Yeah! Great one Doctor! :D

How does it work? Does the regen rate depend on total hull (in percentage) or is it fixed (10 hp in 10 minutes, for example)?

I like the choice of distinction between player ships and AI ships. Finally Boron fleet can REALLY defend itself!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 18. Nov 12, 23:30

Thank you, Bertone. And thanks for the idea!

When marines repair a hull, they can only work so fast. The team repairs a calculated number of repair points per minute, depending on their experience. So a larger ship takes longer to repair than a smaller ship.

Organic Hulls are different. They are are alive. Large hulls repair at the same rate as small hulls (percentage of hull per minute). As a result, large Boron ships can repair themselves more quickly than a team of marines doing the same job.

Fighters get a slight "bonus" in repair speed, as do ships that are currently in-sector with the player. Enemies, of course, get a very large bonus.

The net result is that repair speeds vary somewhat. My hope is that the repair speeds will work out to be "about right" for various situations, but please tell me your opinions (everyone).

Should I reduce repair speed on the Megalodon? That may be the only Boron ship that does not need any extra help.

Bertone
x3

Post by Bertone » Tue, 20. Nov 12, 05:48

I LOVE the easy way to customize the regeneration rate of enemy/fighters in a simple text file.

In my little test I found out that maybe a 4x rate for NPCs (becoming an 8x for NPC fighters) is a little too much, but hell, many players would like to set it at an insane 30x! :D

IMHO, player and NPCs should have the same regeneration rate, but you're right (and that's why I asked you to realize this), Boron ships suck! So it's welcome!

:D

Bertone
x3

Post by Bertone » Mon, 26. Nov 12, 19:19

Is there anybody else trying to test it?

:gruebel:

Nicoman35
x3tc

Post by Nicoman35 » Mon, 26. Nov 12, 22:26

I will test it... - as soon as I get this damn ****$$"§$&&"%$!$% ADS mod ready AND paul finishes XRM v1.27 AND if I manage to integrate all mods I would like to. Problem is: I always see something else I would like to have. Maybe I sould just begin playing and stop modding. :roll:

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Mon, 26. Nov 12, 22:46

Nicoman35 wrote:Maybe I sould just begin playing and stop modding. :roll:
That's no fun ... wait ;)
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 27. Nov 12, 07:45

Bertone wrote:I LOVE the easy way to customize the regeneration rate of enemy/fighters in a simple text file.

In my little test I found out that maybe a 4x rate for NPCs (becoming an 8x for NPC fighters) is a little too much
I'm glad you like it, Bertone.

There have been many downloads but you are the first person to give a report. I understand your point that 8x bonus is too fast. I will change the defaults in the next version. Luckily, you can change the bonuses yourself.

Have you tried the Organic Hulls in combat?

Bertone
x3

Post by Bertone » Tue, 27. Nov 12, 15:06

Yes, i did.

Player ship doesn't get any advantage in combat (and that's ok).

"Enemy" (npc) ships have a very little beef-up. The only ships showing a real advantage are Boron M5s against other M5s: M5 shields are very fast to recharge, and with regenerating hulls they are really tough.

Well, but... How many players do often experience M5vsM5 fights? :D

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 27. Nov 12, 23:22

Thank you for the report, Bertone. I could add a reduced bonus factor for M5's. I suppose it could be an issue at the very beginning of the game.

Are you saying that the 8x bonus for enemy fighters is not so bad?

Just for curiosity, can you notice any difference in frame rate if you toggle the AL plugin On or Off (during combat)?

Bertone
x3

Post by Bertone » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 05:12

Hmmmm... I play with a not-so-good framerate (I avoid big battles), but since I installed your plugin I didn't notice any difference... I'll be more careful with my "analisys", ok?

;)

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 29. Nov 12, 05:17

The current version should have very low impact on frame rate. I am just double-checking.

If you want to fight large battles with not-so-fast farmerate, try Improved Combat Frame Rate. (I use the Plugin Manager to install this only when needed for a large battle, then I uninstall it for more visually-appealing weapon effects).

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”