Bullwinkle's List

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

LordGaara

Post by LordGaara » Mon, 14. May 12, 20:18

Nice list Doc!

I want to ask some silly questions, to which I expect some smart answers.

What exactly does "Add Your Custom Ship to Shipyards" do? Except the obvious thing that the title states I mean. Installs a script to edited in-game via SE? Or needs to be edited beforehand?
I need to add main guns to a/some ships but I am scared shitless that I'll mess up.
I am using XRM+AP btw. Dont know if it even possible to edit ships.
I tried installing some .xsp ships, which have the properties I need, via the Plugin Manager and failed bigtime. Either X won't start at all, or I get the "corrupted savegame" message.
So, any tips?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 14. May 12, 23:14

LordGaara wrote:What exactly does "Add Your Custom Ship to Shipyards" do? Except the obvious thing that the title states I mean. Installs a script to edited in-game via SE? Or needs to be edited beforehand?
The easiest way is to install the script ,then edit with the Script Editor. (Instructions Updated in Original Post.) If you make no changes, the default behavior is to add the Advanced Spacesuit to Teladi shipyards. (Before somebody asks: No, it will not replace your normal spacesuit with the Advanced Spacesuit. It is a do-nothing place-holder rather than a real, usable, ship).

Remember that the Cheat Package does the same thing, and has a user interface. I made this script because somebody asked for the script code for how to do it in their own scripts.

If you open the package with the Plugin Manger, it will display the Description before you install. :)
I need to add main guns to a/some ships but I am scared shitless that I'll mess up.
Before you begin editing anything, Back up your:
  • - .cats (in the addon folder for AP)
    - .dats (in the addon folder for AP)
    - objects folder
    - types folder (in the addon folder for AP)
    - Saved Games

(If you have more disk space than confidence in your Windows-fu, you can simply back up your entire game folder and entire documents\EgoSoft folders.)
Your saved games are linked to your mods, so back them both up at the same time.

Then, if you run into any problems, you can restore your original game from backup.

Do one thing at a time, then test. Do not move on to another step until the first step is working.

If you run into to trouble, just ask. Somebody will give you a hand. Probably. ;)
I am using XRM+AP btw. Dont know if it even possible to edit ships.
Yes, editing XRM ships is the same as any other ships that are installed in your game, either in .cat files or directly on the hard drive.

Note that .xsp ships are slightly different, and require some extra care/knowledge to handle properly. ESPECIALLY in AP.
I tried installing some .xsp ships, which have the properties I need, via the Plugin Manager and failed bigtime. Either X won't start at all, or I get the "corrupted savegame" message. So, any tips?
Well, you could read the last few pages of the Plugin Manager thread, in which several users describe a bug with installing .xsp ships into AP with the Plugin Manager. Cycrow has confirmed the bug, but has not had time to fix it. One user posted a possible workaround, although I have not tried it.

The PM works fine with TC and .xsp ships. The trouble is only with AP.

Because of the bug, it will probably be easier for you to modify your own ships than it will be to install .xsp ships.

When you become familiar with how the pieces fit together, you may be able to extract files from a .xsp and install them manually. Maybe.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Tue, 15. May 12, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

LordGaara

Post by LordGaara » Mon, 14. May 12, 23:35

Thanks for the tips.
Throughout your posts in this forum, I have concluded that you try to teach people something instead of doing it for them. And that's just selfish - you want to get all the credit when the padawan surpasses his master!

By the way I didnt just post here to whine about it, I have read all I could find on the matter ( despite the dead guide links), watched your tutorials and read relevant topics.

So up to here:
Installed the .spk, dont know if Advanced spacesuit is added, I have started a new game yesterday and no teladi SY is in sight so far. Couldnt find the script to edit in SE tho. What's the name?
I would first try to edit an existing ship, seems easier for a start.

Cheers

Aegyen
x4

Post by Aegyen » Mon, 14. May 12, 23:40

I like that part.. :lol: maybe.. :roll: It took me one or 8 tries to extract, and get everything where it needs to go, so don't feel bad, when at first, it doesn't succeed.. :wink: I never did get the JuanBio Whitestar to show up..

Anywho, for you, Dr Bullwinkle...

I see you are a fan of Lucike's scripts as well... By chance, do you happen to have translated t-files for Satellite and Laser Tower service, and the newish DOBAG scripts?.. :roll:

Otherwise, it's back to the slow and painful process of Google transalting it, and figuring out why it all looks funny, until I get all the context right..

:evil:

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Mon, 14. May 12, 23:52

You're more than welcome to find an update any of my older stuff, by the way, that I never really did much with. Like the Goner Shipyard, Achievement Guild, etc. I'm sure some of it must be out there SOMEWHERE.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 15. May 12, 00:12

LordGaara wrote:Throughout your posts in this forum, I have concluded that you try to teach people something instead of doing it for them.
There is a good reason for that: the learning is the main thing that makes X3 so addictive. If X3 worked well out-of-the-box, then it would be like any other space sim... play it for a couple of dozen hours, then file it away with the rest of your collection.

The thing that makes X3 the kind of game that you can play for *years* is the fact that it is unfinished. You "finish" the game yourself by adding scripts and mods, and by doing your own scripting and modding:
  • - Inside the game, the fun comes from doing "work" (missions) to earn credits, then upgrading your ship.

- In real life, the same kind of fun comes from doing "work" (reading the forum and learning how to add your own features to the game), then upgrading your *game* (rather than upgrading your ship).
It is the same kind of fun... except that the real-life version can go on forever.
  • Also, I once spent several hours doing a ship mod that somebody requested, and posted the result on the forum. The guy never even looked at the result, and later asked for something similar-but-slightly-different! I learned my lesson right there... people don't respect it when you do the job for them. They only really appreciate it when they invest some effort themselves. Helping people to learn *how* to do it addresses that, while preserving the fun factor.
I have read all I could find on the matter ( despite the dead guide links), watched your tutorials and read relevant topics.
Nice! And you are still having fun, right? That is what the game is all about.
Couldnt find the script to edit in SE tho. What's the name?
If you open the package in the Package Creator (bundled with the Plugin Manager), then you can see the names of the scripts.

In this case, "setup.BW.your.ship.at.shipyards".
I would first try to edit an existing ship, seems easier for a start
Yes, that is the way to do it. You don't eat an elephant all at once... you eat him one bite at a time. :)
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Tue, 15. May 12, 04:01, edited 3 times in total.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 15. May 12, 00:33

Aegyen wrote:I like that part... "maybe".. :roll:
I got it from H.G. Wells' "The First Men in the Moon". In the movie version, it came across as the funniest (and most accurate) affectation portraying the mind of a scientist. It fits my analytical style perfectly.

Probably. ;)
By chance, do you happen to have translated t-files
Sorry, translations are not my area of expertise. However, there are *many* multilingual folks on this forum; probably more than native English-speakers. My suggestion is to make a new thread and post the German t-files. I'll bet that somebody will be able to translate them as easily as posting a message.

@EJ: Thanks, amigo. I will keep my eyes open for them. BTW, this is not a complete list of everything that I use; it is mostly stuff that I have hacked well enough that somebody might find the hacked version interesting.

@JoelR: Thanks to you, too... I didn't forget you. I just didn't know what to say. Still don't. :)

Aegyen
x4

Post by Aegyen » Tue, 15. May 12, 06:09

Started to get my game going, checking everything out to see what I might need to fix still, and ran into an issue with the LSDC.

Couldn't get to the commands, nor find it in the AL plugins, so took a look, and, the al.plugin.LSDC.register script forwards right to al.LSDC.event, which isn't in your spk. So no joy, yet.. :wink:

You give me a script to go and kill everybody, but you left the firing pin out... I see how you are.. :roll:

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 15. May 12, 15:49

Lots of downloads and only one guy bothers to tell me that the package is missing a file? :roll:

Thanks for the report, Aegyen! Fixed, along with a couple of minor improvements... Which you probably won't notice if you could not install the previous version. :)

As you mentioned, this is an Artificial Life plugin. It must be enabled in your AL settings (on the Gameplay menu). It will not run on the player ship, and the drone carrier requires Fight 1 & 2, Carrier, and Patrol Command Softwares.

If you are playing TC, the script will add the Griffon Drone Carrier to Argon Shipyards for you. AP already has several Drone Carriers available. In a future version, this software will only run on ships designed as Drone Carriers (Griffon, Guppy, Ariadne, Cormorant, Maccana).

(Probably)

Aegyen
x4

Post by Aegyen » Wed, 16. May 12, 22:28

Doc... :roll: The link for DCS 1.204 is dysfunctional.. You really are out to get me, aren't you?.. :P

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Thu, 17. May 12, 03:24

I'm finding npc freighters using the drone script...
PhenomII X4 940 black edition
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 17. May 12, 03:33

I wondered why nobody had tried the new version yet!

Fixed.

This is a major update, by the way:
  • - New: Auto-Restart. In the past, it was possible for the Drone Carrier to "forget" that it was turned on; resulting in an ineffective DC. And by "ineffective" I mean "dead". Fixed!

- New: Artificial Life plugin now starts automatically.

- Simpler requirements: A carrier-class ship with Fight Command Mk1 software installed. NOT the player ship. Combined with the above two new features, starting and using the Drone Carrier should be much easier.

- Greatly simplified user interface.

- The Drone Carrier now calculates appropriate response size on his own, and will take on any enemy military ships it encounters.

- Enemy transports (TS, TP, TL) are reported, rather than destroyed, in case you need a new one. ;) (Is that what you meant, garry34?)

- On-board drone production is automatic. In order to meet the goal of a reliable, unattended, OOS patrol craft, on-board production requires only a single resource: credits. Of course, it may require a lot more credits than the normal cost for a drone; such is the price of cutting-edge technology.

Pricing is not yet implemented. So, for now, drones are produced for free.
Please let me know how version 1.204 works for you all. If it works well, then I will do a full release in a new thread.
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Fri, 15. Jun 12, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Thu, 17. May 12, 03:54

no what I meant was, the npc freighters were launching as if they were DC, my example would be I have my own DC patrolling the xenon hub but the enemy freighters ie the argon are launching all 3 varients of the drones, lol the little twats what are they doing with keris.

on a seperate note, do you think in a future version would it be possible for the DC to use the race specific drones that are not in use in game rather than the normal 3 to tie in with the fact that you intend to restrict the script to the race specific DC?
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 17. May 12, 04:15

garrry34 wrote:I have my own DC patrolling the xenon hub but the enemy freighters ie the argon are launching all 3 varients of the drones
Interesting. I am not sure how that happens, but:
  • - I doubt that NPC freighters are running the Drone Carrier Software. It requires a carrier-class ship. At least that is the intended behavior.

- It would be rare for a Drone Carrier to "lose" its drones, unless you intentionally jump it out of sector during an engagement. The DC retrieves its drones immediately after each engagement, and it does so via transporter, which is pretty quick.

- If the enemies were actually using the DCS software, then you would know it, because *all* of your ships in the sector would be destroyed. :)
do you think in a future version would it be possible for the DC to use the race specific drones that are not in use in game rather than the normal 3 to tie in with the fact that you intend to restrict the script to the race specific DC?
Yes, that is part of my long-term plan; to make the Drone Carrier Software a complete system for Drone Carriers. That means slightly different things for TC than it does for AP:
  • - For TC, the Drone Carrier will function more or less as it does now. Since the Griffon reward from the Final Fury plot is delivered "without software", the DCS completes the Griffon.

I have not yet decided whether the DCS will work *only* on Griffons in TC. Role-play reasons say "yes"; practical use of captured M1/M2/M7's says "no".

- For AP, there may be two variants of the software:
    • - An Mk1/Mk2/Keris carrier, similar to the current DCS.
      - A race-specific Drone Carrier Software specific to M7C-class ships.
    The race-specific drones behave differently than Mk1/Mk2/Keris. They are ships rather than classic drones, so they need special handling.

Again, I am not certain whether DCS should work *only* for M7C's (fits role-play) or for *all* carriers (which becomes another solution for fleet management). It probably depends on how well DCS works overall. To Be Determined (TBD).
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Thu, 17. May 12, 04:18, edited 2 times in total.

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Thu, 17. May 12, 04:16

just installed the new version, DC improvements are awesome though the freighter have the upgrades as well, its a massive drone war lol...
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 17. May 12, 04:25

garrry34 wrote:just installed the new version, DC improvements are awesome
Excellent. Thanks for the report, garry.
though the freighters have the upgrades as well, its a massive drone war lol...
When you say "freighters", are they TS class? Or TL? It *is* possible for DCS to run on a TL, since it is a carrier-class ship. Although I do not know how the NPCs would turn the software ON. I will try to reproduce it. If you have a specific list of steps that reliably reproduces the behavior, that would be helpful.

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Thu, 17. May 12, 04:58

just ts class so far, they are launching 11 of each from what I can see, they haven't killed my DC so it leads to think maybe they are just being given the drones in their cargo bays and they are launching them as they do but its always 11 each of each varient, lol I just a little pissed the argon are using keris I could live with the other 2...
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 17. May 12, 05:11

garrry34 wrote:just ts class ... they are launching 11 of each ... they are just being given the drones in their cargo bays and they are launching them
Wow, that is really interesting. 11 of each does happen to be the default number of drones that DCS keeps ready to launch. I chose that number because it is different than typical NPC loadouts (to make it easier to identify).

The intentions of the code are that it will not run on a TS and that it requires a human to enable the software on each ship. So your report has my attention. :)

Would you run a couple of tests for me?

1) Destroy some of the NPC drones. Does the TS create more drones? Check its cargo hold with a freight scanner, if you have one.

2) In the Script Editor, turn on "Additional information". Then target the TS and get its information screen (i, u). Scroll down to the list of running scripts. Do you see anything on the list with either BW.DCS or LSDC in the script name?

Aegyen
x4

Post by Aegyen » Thu, 17. May 12, 06:32

garrry34 wrote:just ts class so far, they are launching 11 of each from what I can see, they haven't killed my DC so it leads to think maybe they are just being given the drones in their cargo bays and they are launching them as they do but its always 11 each of each varient, lol I just a little pissed the argon are using keris I could live with the other 2...
Would you tell me the loadout you are equipping your ts's with? I want to see if I can reproduce it on my setup.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 17. May 12, 06:37

I think that garry meant other race's TS's are spawning drones that look suspiciously like DCS drones.

I am hoping that it is merely coincidence. If it turns out to be a bug, then I will squash it. I cannot reproduce it, however.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”