[MOD] IEX - AP/TC Sector Visual Enhancement - IEX 1.5b (27/07/2014)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Erenar
x4

Post by Erenar » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 01:14

But not XRM :( Wonder if I could understand what needs to be changed...

Might take a look at the files and see what was changed in Black's compatch... but guessing I will miss stuff if I don't actually understand what the data means.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 02:52

Erenar wrote:But not XRM :( Wonder if I could understand what needs to be changed...

Might take a look at the files and see what was changed in Black's compatch... but guessing I will miss stuff if I don't actually understand what the data means.
Im pretty sure that there is no cause for alarm unless Paul makes changes to the x3_universe.xml file. Of course the changes from updated versions of IEX wont be included though.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 6. Mar 12, 00:29

Hey Moonrat. What are the odds of a version without fog? Fog can be such an immersion killer sometimes. To me at least.

Also, great work so far :)

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 6. Mar 12, 05:49

Ignore my last post. I didnt realize that your mod does touch fog. I just added the no fog mod after this and of course that did the trick.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Tue, 6. Mar 12, 08:41

joelR wrote:Ignore my last post. I didnt realize that your mod does touch fog. I just added the no fog mod after this and of course that did the trick.
I've tried to adopt the layered approach as much as possible so that folk can mod the mod if required. View distances have been altered in IEX (usually upwards) but there are still a few foggy sectors just for old times sake & variety (although less than before).
[ external image ]
IEX Download Statistics - LUVi / XRMi ( 3115 / 5415 )
X4 Crexit 324 ; X4 Encounters 3193 (STEAM Unique/Current 6341/3412)

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Tue, 6. Mar 12, 18:57

joelR wrote:Ignore my last post. I didnt realize that your mod does touch fog. I just added the no fog mod after this and of course that did the trick.
Thinking about this today, if the "no fog" mod superceeds the IEX 'TBackgrounds.txt' file then 'x3_universe.xml' may be referencing backgrounds which no longer exist.
Which no fogs mod is it, any chance of a link?
[ external image ]

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 07:10

Moonrat wrote:
Thinking about this today, if the "no fog" mod superceeds the IEX 'TBackgrounds.txt' file then 'x3_universe.xml' may be referencing backgrounds which no longer exist.
Which no fogs mod is it, any chance of a link?
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=273698

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 08:28

Thanks. Mmmmm... the IEX 'TBackgrounds.txt' currently has 120 backgrounds whereas the reduced fog mod you are using looks to have only 80. This means that there'll be sector entries in the IEX 'x3_universe.xml' file which will be pointing to non-existant sector backgrounds. The reduced fog mod will work correctly with IE but not IEX. The good news however is that the IEX suns and planets should be Ok.

You'll need to include all the additional entries from the IEX 'TBackgrounds.txt' file from line 82 onwards (ie. the 2nd fogblue onwards) plus make sure that the top line reads '25;120;'

If you PM your external email address to me with which 'no fog' variant you are using I can email you an amended copy.
[ external image ]

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 17:22

Moonrat wrote:Thanks. Mmmmm... the IEX 'TBackgrounds.txt' currently has 120 backgrounds whereas the reduced fog mod you are using looks to have only 80. This means that there'll be sector entries in the IEX 'x3_universe.xml' file which will be pointing to non-existant sector backgrounds. The reduced fog mod will work correctly with IE but not IEX. The good news however is that the IEX suns and planets should be Ok.

You'll need to include all the additional entries from the IEX 'TBackgrounds.txt' file from line 82 onwards (ie. the 2nd fogblue onwards) plus make sure that the top line reads '25;120;'

If you PM your external email address to me with which 'no fog' variant you are using I can email you an amended copy.
Thanks. I would really appreciate that. I will PM you my address.

I am actually using argonaughts original version which is no longer available in that thread. I will also send you that once we exchange addresses.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Thu, 22. Mar 12, 07:29

By the way is this Vanilla Friendly?

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Thu, 22. Mar 12, 08:44

sadron wrote:By the way is this Vanilla Friendly?
Yep :) .

It should not modify your game and the map is based upon the latest vanilla TC & AP one. RL has been getting in the way recently of further progress but I plan another release with updated content soon.
Last edited by Moonrat on Sun, 22. Apr 12, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Thu, 22. Mar 12, 17:24

First of all I would like to thank you for your effort on this (great) mod. I already enjoyed the "normal" IE mod and this one looks even more breathtaking :!:

However, your initial post lacks some information on the following topics:
- It is mentoined, that the view distance should be set to "Medium", can you tell me why? If my PC can handle the graphics part (I've got a ATI HD7970 ;)) with ease, why should I turn it down to Medium?
- If you release new updates, is a new restart required to get the new content into the game? I thought I have read somewhere, that you don't have to restart, but it is recommanded. Here again why? Is there some content which doesn't gets activated?

Thanks in advice
Aikidoka

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Thu, 22. Mar 12, 18:40

Thanks for the compliments, I'm hoping connary reads this too as my mod (IEX) humbly builds and extends upon his... Now onto the questions.
Aikidoka wrote:It is mentoined, that the view distance should be set to "Medium", can you tell me why? If my PC can handle the graphics part (I've got a ATI HD7970 ;)) with ease, why should I turn it down to Medium?
Some of the sectors still have fog and I thought these looked more immersive if the setting remains at Medium. Having a greater view distance with IEX will not break the mod however and apart from the usual performance hit (if any) it should be still good to go. It's basically up to you, decide which view distance you prefer and enjoy...
Aikidoka wrote:If you release new updates, is a new restart required to get the new content into the game? I thought I have read somewhere, that you don't have to restart, but it is recommanded. Here again why? Is there some content which doesn't gets activated?
Image textures and object files are read during every startup of each gaming session regardless whether it is a new or old game, and so any changes to pre-existing named textures/objects will be seen in-game. Often some of the base textures & object files are simply replaced with updated ones with each new release of IEX and so a new gamestart will not be required to enjoy them.

However... sometimes I also alter the positions/characteristics of suns, planets & gates as well as adding brand new content to the x3_universe map. These changes will not appear in any new game as an existing savegame already has the map information stored (along with ship/station/sun/planet positions etc. etc.) and it is not refreshed.

So in conclusion, a new gamestart will pick up everything as intended. But an existing savegame using an updated IEX cat/dat will benefit but won't be quite as 'pretty'.
Let me know if you still need more information.
[ external image ]

zj1985
x3ap

Post by zj1985 » Mon, 26. Mar 12, 16:51

One question:the view distance should be set to "Medium"
Do I have to do this myself or your mod already did it?And how?
Thanks.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Mon, 26. Mar 12, 19:00

I think it's only in AP... not TC.

From the startup box :
  • Graphics Settings -> View Distance (Low/Medium/High/Very High)
[ external image ]

zj1985
x3ap

Post by zj1985 » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 05:37

Moonrat wrote:I think it's only in AP... not TC.

From the startup box :
  • Graphics Settings -> View Distance (Low/Medium/High/Very High)
So I can't change the view distance in TC?Sometimes When I look into earth or mars,I got a huge fps hit.I try to uninstall your mod and start a new game,then fly to mars and look at the planet,the FPS get low.If I don't look at planet,the FPS get to 60.This problem appeares even at a clean game.I hope someone can help me,thanks.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 08:07

Not heard of too many other folks having performance hits with IEX, but it probably depends on what rig you are playing with. My graphic card is a bit lowly and even in vanilla it sometimes drags a bit... Any chance of a DXDIAG or at least the basic specifications of your PC? Any other mods loaded?
[ external image ]

zj1985
x3ap

Post by zj1985 » Wed, 28. Mar 12, 11:40

Sure,this is my PC
CPU:e6700 3.2GHz
RAM:4g ddr 1333
Graphic Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
I don't think this is my PC problem.I will start a new game lately and see what will happen.Thanks for reply. :)

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Wed, 28. Mar 12, 22:35

I've played around with various settings and altho' my rig does register a drop it's not too dramatic. What framerates are you seeing looking towards/away from Mars and towards/away Earth for both IEX and Vanilla?

Although your rig PC has 8Gb less memory than mine, your graphic card is (slightly) better than mine...

The graphic settings I have follow, what are yours...?
1440x900 4x AA, 8x AT
View Distance : Medium
Texture : High
Shader : High
[ external image ]

m00nch1ld
x3ap

Post by m00nch1ld » Thu, 29. Mar 12, 00:38

Moonrat wrote:Not heard of too many other folks having performance hits with IEX, but it probably depends on what rig you are playing with. My graphic card is a bit lowly and even in vanilla it sometimes drags a bit... Any chance of a DXDIAG or at least the basic specifications of your PC? Any other mods loaded?

Well i'm another one... tried your mod. then went to my Mega complex in Home sector. Thing is its 200+ station with all the roids in this map. " i build it as far as spossible from the only south gate. so when i come in My rig wont have to load it. Since u increase to viewing, i cant go in there anymore. and i'm pretty sure its not my rig.

Quad phenom 3.4
8gig ddr3
dual 5770 in crossfire mode
and yet i lagged like a mofo.
is there a way to make a version of it with normal viewing distance?. cant find it in the loader of X3tc

p.s. my mods are
Gold HUD Trixx
Universal buyer/seller
Missile subtitle Gazz
ATF Outpost
Killergog Trail Effect

-In installfolder
+Galactic news
+Marcon Menu
+MK3 opt (better MK3)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”