[MOD] IEX - AP/TC Sector Visual Enhancement - IEX 1.5b (27/07/2014)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Wed, 1. Feb 12, 18:37

I also use NotePad++ 'Compare' but sometimes something a little more line orientated and sortable is the order of the day... :)

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Wed, 1. Feb 12, 22:14

After studying the XRM IEX-compatible 'TSuns.txt' and 'Lensflares.txt' files... In the spirit of spacefarer harmony I have made the following changes which will be included within the next version of IEX.

TSuns.txt
  • Now 100% functionally identical to the XRM compatible version. There were no changes to suns, only an indexing change due to 'Lensflares.txt' containing additional content.
Lensflares.txt
  • Now more closely matches the XRM compatible version but with the vanilla engine effects resurrected.
    ie. the new entries for #35 -> #44 are included but the vanilla engine effects #10 -> #15 remain (for now).
    NOTE : I may include several alternate 'Lensflares.txt' files in the future so people can opt for the engine effects they most they prefer.
EDIT: I was tempted to go the whole hog and produce unified AP/X3TC/XRM/XTC compatible versions, but I still have too many planets to make... :roll:

nap_rz
x3tc

Post by nap_rz » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 13:45

I'm using XRM and this, the only problem I have is the fried egg bug in terran sol sectors, basically I get 2 suns there, the smaller normal one and a bigger one...

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 14:30

It sounds like the 'fried egg' bug might be because the XRM 'x3_universe.xml' map file is using an incompatible object with the wrong type of background?
May be the background needs to be changed there for something less eggy? IE/IEX in TC & AP displays no such issue as far as I'm aware of.

That said, I'm always interested to hear from those involved in other mods who might have ideas to make mine more compatible... But I'm not promising anything tho' as often there's fundamental incompatibilities between different mods, sorry. But I'll try where possible.

Black147
x3ap

Post by Black147 » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 17:30

As threatened Moonrat ... voila le [AP] XRM 1.16 - IEX 1.0c Compatibility patch.

Guaranteed without fried eggs.

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 17:42

Moonrat wrote:It sounds like the 'fried egg' bug might be because the XRM 'x3_universe.xml' map file is using an incompatible object with the wrong type of background?
May be the background needs to be changed there for something less eggy? IE/IEX in TC & AP displays no such issue as far as I'm aware of.

That said, I'm always interested to hear from those involved in other mods who might have ideas to make mine more compatible... But I'm not promising anything tho' as often there's fundamental incompatibilities between different mods, sorry. But I'll try where possible.

I've seen the "fried egg" bug myself and it looks very much like a messed up alpha layer on the diffuse texture for whatever planet this is.

As I'm sure you're aware - the Alpha layer sets the amount of post-process glow added.

This "bug" looks very much like the alpha layer of the diffuse texture is plain white, so glow is being applied to the entire texture, not just the planet bit, so you get a yellow circle (the planet) surrounded by a square of white glow - hence the "egg" look.

XRM uses vanilla backgrounds and planets for all its sectors and does not alter planet textures at all and its fine when IE is not installed - This means the broken texture must be added my IE.

So my guess is that this is an object (a planet I think) that was altered in the original IE, but was never actually used so no one picked up on the broken alpha layer. Fixing it will probably be as simple as working out what object it is and then deleting the relevant texture from IE so it reverts to the vanilla texture. Since this object isn't used in IE (as you'd get the fried egg look too) it shouldn't cause any issues at all.

IIRC - the sector in question is Tempestine, so the planet in question is one of the following:

SS_PL75
SS_PL135
SS_PL92
SS_PL102
SS_PL109

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 18:44

By way of a reverse compliment I've altered the OP and provided an easy link to the IEX/XRM compatibility patch in both the 'thanks' and 'install' sections.

I'll have a look at the fried egg issue this evening... :goner:

EDIT : Can I please confirm which XRM sector (x,y) is 'Tempestine', is it 5,11 ?

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 21:00

Despite having been on the forum now for almost 4 years, I never thought I'd be saying "OK, I've think I've solved the mystery of the fried egg"... :D

The 'Fried Egg' is SS_PL135 and it is used only in XRM sectors 5,11 & 9,6, it is not used within XTC, AP, IE or IEX maps only within XRM. Against a very dark background it looks fine but against any lighter background a square of texture appears around it. The lighter the background, the worse it gets until it becomes the 'fried egg' in space...

XRM uses quite dark backgrounds in the two sectors 5,11 & 9,6 where 'the egg' appears, "reddawn" & "deepred" respectively. Using the XRM Advanced Universe map without any IE or IEX there is some slight indication of the horror to come even without the former two mods installed. Within sector 5,11 the square around the sun becomes visible occasionally for a moment when a wave of fog passes in front of the edge of the texture. It is also slightly (permanently) visible in sector 9,6 on one side only (nearest the nebula).

With IE and/or IEX installed it accentuates the waiting issue... while 'deepred' shifts the nebula over a little making the sharp texture edge more noticeable, 'reddawn' is such a very bright background there is no escape. The problem does appear to be SS_PL135 itself, may be this is why it wasn't used elsewhere?

The solution...
  • 5,11 : Change the background for a 'darker' one or swap out PL_135 for something else... a cop out I know but IE/IEX don't appear to be at fault, the vanilla texture is.
  • 9,6 : Move PL_135 slightly further away from the nebula and... Voila Monsieur, l'oeuf est alle !! ...

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 22:11

I've looked at the planet scene "planet_sun_scene" and the texture "sun_diff.dds" and it does indeed have a pure white alpha layer, but I now don't think that's the issue.

I think it might be the planet model itself. Its probably something like an emissive setting on the material definition, or something like that.

Once I've got the next XRM release done, I'll see if I can get to the bottom of it. It is quite an annoying one and is probably a simple fix. I've got to look at the Earth texture as well any way to try and work out the bug with that which causes it not to load properly on occasion.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Sun, 5. Feb 12, 12:27

The next release is taking me more time than I wanted so I'll probably get it out this week as it'll give me a few days to fix anything nasty before I head for the Alps on planks...
Due to popular demand, the current thinking is an XRM compatible version alongside the 'vanilla' one for X3TC/AP.
Last edited by Moonrat on Mon, 20. Feb 12, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

riky69

Post by riky69 » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 12:06

nice!

I've noticed that in some sectors there isn't an HD sky background....

Erenar
x4

Post by Erenar » Sat, 11. Feb 12, 13:39

Any news on the host yet?

Black147
x3ap

Post by Black147 » Sun, 12. Feb 12, 11:48

I have had the opportunity to look at an early version of the new map. Does anyone know of a way to destroy or alter a sun in a running game? I can create them, but that by itself is not useful. Unless this is possible I´m afraid the new IEX version will require a new game restart and cannot be updated by scripts only :(

As soon as Moonrat is ready for his release I´ll follow with the XRM AP and TC patch.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Mon, 20. Feb 12, 01:16

Ok, I've returned from the snowy hills with both legs still working and thanks to Mokonzi, IEX 1.1a is now available. See OP for full download links.

A new game start will make everything available but existing games may also benefit from some of the changed content also.
Please let me know what you think, I still have more planetry stuff to do... :)

[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ][ external image ][ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 20:32

IEX 1.1a is AP 2.0 compatible.

Erenar
x4

Post by Erenar » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 01:14

But not XRM :( Wonder if I could understand what needs to be changed...

Might take a look at the files and see what was changed in Black's compatch... but guessing I will miss stuff if I don't actually understand what the data means.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 02:52

Erenar wrote:But not XRM :( Wonder if I could understand what needs to be changed...

Might take a look at the files and see what was changed in Black's compatch... but guessing I will miss stuff if I don't actually understand what the data means.
Im pretty sure that there is no cause for alarm unless Paul makes changes to the x3_universe.xml file. Of course the changes from updated versions of IEX wont be included though.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 6. Mar 12, 00:29

Hey Moonrat. What are the odds of a version without fog? Fog can be such an immersion killer sometimes. To me at least.

Also, great work so far :)

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 6. Mar 12, 05:49

Ignore my last post. I didnt realize that your mod does touch fog. I just added the no fog mod after this and of course that did the trick.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Tue, 6. Mar 12, 08:41

joelR wrote:Ignore my last post. I didnt realize that your mod does touch fog. I just added the no fog mod after this and of course that did the trick.
I've tried to adopt the layered approach as much as possible so that folk can mod the mod if required. View distances have been altered in IEX (usually upwards) but there are still a few foggy sectors just for old times sake & variety (although less than before).
[ external image ]
IEX Download Statistics - LUVi / XRMi ( 3115 / 5415 )
X4 Crexit 324 ; X4 Encounters 3193 (STEAM Unique/Current 6341/3412)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”