[Script] Litcube's Bounce V1.7: Player Owned Autopilot Fix

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:09

Did you turn the plugin on in the AL plugins?

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:11

Course I did, also put a warning up in the OP that if you have gazz's MARS script on to turn the AL off because the enemy or enemy ships will spawn with fighter drones.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:13

There's a wrench. Let me unwrench it. Be back in 5 mins.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:22

Fixed. It was a packing issue. I'd fixed this glitch before I even made the first post, but forgot to throw the file in the rar.

Ikaruga wrote:By the way, it works with any class of ships and not only fighters, doesn't it ?

Because I lost a crapton of M6s by packing them against an enemy. They either crashed against the enemy or themselves.

Finally, does this prevent collisions between player ships ?
Effects all classes of ships between enemies and player ships. For now.
Last edited by Litcube on Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:24

:lol: rushy rushy "oops I forgot the file!" :D

glad I spotted that... good to know I still got the touch to find bugs and glitches :twisted:

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:41

Good news, it works perfectly, got 30 Jaguar Raiders Swarming around a Dreadnought (yeah I have XTC installed) I chose a massive complex target to test this with and haven't lost one of them yet, the evade usually lasts between a few seconds to 5 seconds to at least 10 seconds. This is vs an unarmed target, I'm gonna do a test between a fleet of some larger but fast vessels against a larger target.

Just a small question though is that... would this also work say with a fighter group accidentally crashing into each other during a fight?

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:43

Requiemfang wrote:Good news, it works perfectly, got 30 Jaguar Raiders Swarming around a Dreadnought (yeah I have XTC installed) I chose a massive complex target to test this with and haven't lost one of them yet.
Sweet!
Requiemfang wrote: Just a small question though is that... would this also work say with a fighter group accidentally crashing into each other during a fight?
Not yet. Right now, I'm keeping it small. Just to see if I can get away with this working right vs. enemy objects.

If this works as I think it will, I'll expand it to see what we can do with player vs. player collisions. It's not hard to modify it to do that, it's just the performance I'm worried about.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:55

Hmmm... just noticed something else that might be bugged, when I spawn an enemy with weapons, it spawns with no shields and just sits there not firing back at the mass of fighters attacking it.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 01:56

Requiemfang wrote:Hmmm... just noticed something else that might be bugged, when I spawn an enemy with weapons, it spawns with no shields and just sits there not firing back at the mass of fighters attacking it.
Be back in 5.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 02:04

Update!

0.12a:
CSG only: Enemy weapon spawn option wasn't working right.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 02:06

Right, I'll give it a go again :D

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 02:06

Requiemfang wrote:Right, I'll give it a go again :D
I appreciate your patience, man.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 02:27

:lol: that's something I have a lot of.

Results so far with 30 Asp Vanguards, their fitted with the basic pulsed beam emitter, rather weak weapon to use vs frigates and carriers and destroyers.

After 10 minutes of fighting a Xenon K it's shields got into the low 60% area while the Asp Vanguards lost around 7 to 8 ships at that time. If the Asps were fitted with some of the more damaging weapons that XTC provides for the S class cargo I'm sure the shields of that K after 10 minutes would have been a lot lower.

As far as I can tell from the testing I've done so far with Bounce on is that no fighters were lost from collisions when the enemy had no weapons. With weapons on the enemy + bounce on with around 30 fighters they take a nice chunk of shield out and this is from a group of 30 m4's, also losing around 7 to 8 ships. I chose some of the fastest M4's for this test run of course just to see what would happen.

Result is no death's occurred due to colliding with the targeted enemy ship and so far no collisions between friendly ships during attack runs.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 02:32

Yeah, Bounce doesn't behave any differently with enemies equipped with weapons. The reason I included it in the CSG is so that people can see that your ships aren't invincible. I can see some people claiming that the ships have collisions turned off for too long, but this part is to prove that notion wrong.

Thing is, when a ship is too close to another, turret tracking is going to fall off pretty quick anyway. As an Asp passes through or near a Titan, for example, any direction its going is going to pass out of the camera dummy arc within milliseconds, and once the asp continues on through it's Evade script, it will have returned to normal operation (read vulnerable) by the time turrets start to track it again.

Even if that weren't the case, ships that are invulnerable (the "!!!!!!!!!!" ships) can't fire back during that time anyway, as during that time, all turrets are locked.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 02:38

Which actually sounds very realistic. Would the crew of a ship risk a mistake or sudden mishap during a evasive maneuver just to get another shot off or do they actually want to avoid crashing into the large vessel they are attacking?

The way this is set up seems extremely realistic in that with some of the other games I've played, RTS for example with fleet battles is that smaller ships not of the capital or super capital class are suppose to charge at their target for an attack run, once they do their attack run they break off and get away to a safe distance before turning around for another attack run.

This is verses larger targets of course, if it was fighter verses fighter the whole fight dynamics change right there because dog fights between fighters is a giant furball.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 03:04

Is this working with every ship? Or is it just a test now and only works when you run the test script?

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 03:06

BlackRain, this is a test atm to see if there are any bugs and kinks for Litcube to iron out before he does anymore with it :wink: so it can only be run via the script editor.

When you go into a sector... any sector the script destroys everything so the sector is clear. Then the testing of the script commences and you sit back and watch and then here you report the results.

The basic results Lit was looking for was whether the script would run okay and work fine as opposed to having bounce off which leaves the auto-collision detection on for ships. With auto-collision on ships tend to ram into the target they are attacking, BOUNCE turns that off and allows ships to go into a avoidance routine (evasion)

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 14:08

This model is transparent so the player can't see it. But because it's there, and it's large, the idea is that ships will avoid sooner, thus avoiding the embarrassing collisions. Some mods in this forum include them (SRM, XTC
Just to clarify things:
XTC doesnt use transparent models. The boxes are not there physically. In fact, if you open them in gmax you wont see anything.
They use the "proper" way of making collision avoidance like ES did it.
XTC models don't suffer from the missile-thingy As long as the missile has proper values. Too fast and it will never hit. Because there is no additional invisible physical volume like with the other methods the missile will target the physical &visible volume of the ship. If it doesnt hit then its the missile stats that are not good.

Same with too fast ships-> too fast and they will always crash into the obstacle. That's why M5 usually crash against capitals (not sure who sends m5 against capitals anyway)

I tested the collisions for the new capital ships in XTC (vanilla are still vanilla) with fast m4 and m3 because thats the minimal class to do damage anyway. For really big m2 only m3 where used.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 19:24

Killjaeden wrote:XTC models don't suffer from the missile-thingy As long as the missile has proper values.
I tested this extensively with XTC vs. Vanilla, and I come to a different conclusion. XTC versus vanilla, XTC will miss with missiles on the same ship. Sometimes it's not noticeable if the collision box is lined up with the model properly in XTC, but if the trajectory takes the missile on a course where the collision box extends beyond the hull, which happens on most XTC ships, the missile will miss on its first pass. It will then circle around, and come back for a second attempt. On some cases, the missile will circle until it expires.

A one off test might not show you right away that this problem persists in XTC. You'd have to fire a volley of mosquitoes, for example, at different angles until you see the result. Preferably at a large ship (Titan).

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 20:33

the Titan was not changed in XTC ...

You can easily tell if a ship model uses custom avoidance by looking into the scene. If you see an entry with "...XTC\props\col\..." then it uses new avoidance. If not then it does not use new.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”