[MOD] Holy Asteroids Mod - 3.11 Compatible [Version 2.0 is available - 26/07/2010]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Thu, 20. May 10, 19:37

Would anyone be interested in this as a mod?

I have modified some of the models to add a more unique look to some of the asteroids. Currently, I'm just replacing the in game models with a couple from X2 and three that are modified X2 asteroid models.

I'm considering modifing the textures as well.

If there is enough interest, I'll find a file hosting site and upload it.
If anyone has a hosting site in mind, feel free to let me know about it.

I will try to put together some screen captures later today.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Been with the X-series from the beginning. If it happens in the X_Universe I've been there done that several times over.

xavierd

Post by xavierd » Thu, 20. May 10, 19:59

Definately interested. I use http://www.xai-corp.net/ to host my script, and any others i come up with

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Fri, 21. May 10, 00:41

Ill be interested in using it in my X2 mod (if you dont mind?)

I can also host it for you if you want. Most likely be buying the pro hosting package sometime this month as I have already used 90% of my bandwidth(20gig) so will have plenty to spare (150gig when upgraded).

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Fri, 21. May 10, 01:56

Cool, then I'll do a few screenshots.

And, get the files packed.

Although I had thought about do this.

Zip the files up, and just let people place the files in the correct folder under X3-TC. By doing this, I'm sure that they will work with any mod (at least any that DO NOT change the asteroids). And, it eliminates taking up a cat and dat file name.

But, I could offer it either way, as a false patch (using a cat and dat file)
and as just the raw models placed in the correct folder and archived.

Anyone have any preferance there?
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Been with the X-series from the beginning. If it happens in the X_Universe I've been there done that several times over.

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Fri, 21. May 10, 01:59

I do all mine as real mods, prefer to do that, but both ways work

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Fri, 21. May 10, 04:34

Yea, I believe that is the route I'll go as well.

If anyone want's, they are free to extract the files.
So, doing it as a mod, really gives both options anyway.

TSM sent me a PM mentioning Filefront for hosting the file.
So, i'll probably go there to host it.

If you guys want to use this in your own mod, then by all means do so.
I should have some screenshots up in a few hours. I'll post back when they are available.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Fri, 21. May 10, 05:16

Here are the links to the images;

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5347 ... n00037.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3858/x3screen00036.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6805 ... n00040.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3659/x3screen00043.jpg

These were all taken in Split Fire. And this is from a game saved prior to my changing the asteroids models and textures. So, this should verify that this is compatible with your current saved games.

EDIT:
See the first message posted in this Forum Topic for download links.
There is a ZIP version and an SPK version available.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Sat, 22. May 10, 05:53

I am considering a change to add a conglomerate type asteroid.
You know, one or two big ones stuck together with a bunch of smaller ones attached. This would end up with spaces between the individual asteroids. I should have some images of one ready sometime this weekend.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Sun, 23. May 10, 01:13

As of right now this mod is full of epic win.

Not only that but it doesn't mark a game so I've added a link to my list :D.
So want to stay home and cruise around some asteroid fields now :shock:
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Sun, 23. May 10, 03:18

Here are a couple of screen shots of the conglomerate type asteroid.
Where some of the smaller asteroids make contact with the larger there are spaces large enough to fit an M3 through, maybe even a TS or TP.
I have play with this in game, even though the polygon count is high it dosen't make any noticable difference in the games performance on my old machine. My PC's specs are: Pentium D (3.0 GHz), 4 Gig of 866MHz ram and a 9800 GT w/1.0 Gig or ram(PCIE 2.0. on an 1.0 slot), not that impressive by todays standards.

EDIT: And my graphics setting for the game are: 1920 x 1080 x 32, 2x AA, 4x Anisotropic, glow enabled. Textures and shaders are set to High, More Dynamic Light Sources, Ship Color Vars and Auto Quality are all set to "ON".

Let me know if you like it and I'll add it into the mix. And upload new files tking the mod to V1.1.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9672 ... n00044.jpg

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2239/x ... 00045x.jpg
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Sun, 23. May 10, 03:28

Looks interesting, maybe make it like an optional addition?

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Sun, 23. May 10, 03:46

I can leave both V1.0 and V1.1 up and explain the differences.
Then people could grab which ever they wanted.

Or, make this one a seperate mod, but that would take up another CAT and DAT number for people wanting to use as a false patch.
I'd hate to do that for one .bod file.

Is there another way to do what you are suggesting?
If so, Id be willing to try it.

After all, one must live to learn in order to learn to live.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Sun, 23. May 10, 05:08

Both the two numbered version or the second cat/dat pair would work. Up to you on how to proceed.

Taking a high speed flight through those things is a bit different now as it seems to be slightly more difficult. Looking forward to using the asteroids as cover again, that used to work incredibly well. Back to packing now though.

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Mon, 24. May 10, 19:20

Version 1.1 is available, see the first post in this topic.

Changes one of my moded asteroids to a conglomerate type asteroid.
Complete withe space between some of the asteroids. I have flown an M3 fighter into the spaces, some can be a little tight but I think that just adds to the fun.

As always comments and suggestions are welcome.
And, if you want to use this in your mod, please feel free, just give me a little credit.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Sat, 29. May 10, 03:13

This mod has been submitted to the Superbox team. No word yet as to it's acceptance. Guess we will know sometime with in the next two weeks.

I hope I did the process correctly. I sent an email to the Superbox email address stating that I would like to submit it and included a link to this thread in the email. So far all I have recieved is an email stating that my email had been read.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Makita
x4

Post by Makita » Sat, 29. May 10, 04:15

Maybe adding a tunnel in the Aldrin rock would be interesting, of course not in a straight line :D M6 size maybe.

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Sat, 29. May 10, 04:44

Hey, there's an idea. Hadn't thought about that, but yea it would be cool.
Might even be possible to add some sort of base/dock in there as well.

Only problem I could see is that Aldrin is already a heavy system, so that could only make things worse. But, I might try reducing the Aldrin Asteroids polygon count, then add the tunnel or tunnels to the reduced version. I'll mess around with that and see what happens.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Sun, 30. May 10, 22:16

Tried something just to see if maybe I could lighten the load on the game enough to add tunnels to the big asteroid/moon in Aldrin.

First, I loaded each and everyone of the asteroids into GMax and used the "Optimize" command to reduce the polygon count. The larger models I reduced by 15-25%, and 5-10% for the smaller models. This kept enough detail to not make them visually uglified, yet still reduced the size of the files considerably.

Then, I started up "FRAPS" and went to the Aldrin system and ran thru the system at 6x SETA.

I then replaced the reduced models with the original files and did the same test. Expecting to get a slightly lower frame rate. My frame rate actually increased, only slightly though, with the higher polygon count models.

Rans the test 4 times, smae results every time.

Anyone care to explain that?

Edit: Think I may have figured out something. Once I started a new game with the reduced polygon asteroids FPS went up, nearly 15% better than before, not much but still an improvement.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Mon, 31. May 10, 01:19

A new version is under way.
Changes will include the following;

1. Polygon count on all asteroids wil be reduced 5% on smaller asteroids to as much as 20% on the larger asteroids. The reason for not changing them all by the same amount was to maintain the best visual quality in game. The smaller ones get blocky looking much quicker than the larger ones.

2. Aldrin moon will be reduced to approx. 1/2 it's original size and it polygon count will be reduced from 6848 polygons to 5696 polygons.
I tried taking more out but it stated looking rather awful. However, once the size is reduced this polygon count may be able to drop even lower.

I will be testing these changes this evening, if all goes well the new version should be available within the next 24 hours.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Mon, 31. May 10, 19:33

Version 1.2 of the Holy Asteroids Mod has been released.
This version makes quite a few changes. And I would suggest using the new version instead of the older versions. The reduced polygon count on the asteroids does help system load a bit. Aldrin is considerably better on my PC, hopefully this will help others as well.

See the OP for the download links.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”