[MOD] Holy Asteroids Mod - 3.11 Compatible [Version 2.0 is available - 26/07/2010]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 20. Jul 10, 16:48

Right, but what then combines and applies the anti-collision envelopes? There has to be something that makes the collision avoidance envelope for the rock cease to apply in the vicinity of the minehead else nothing would ever dock there under AI. (Think Aldrin and the reason you resized the big rock!) There has to be some envelope generation for the complete station model that is being affected by the new asteroid model in a different way to the vanilla situation.

OK, I'm way out of my depth here. I'll shut up now. :roll:

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Tue, 20. Jul 10, 17:18

Collision detection, as I understand it, is hard coded. It looks at the geometry of a model, gets the maximum exterior size (based on the polygons) in the x.y.and z axis. Then places a zone (sphere if you will) around that object.

So, the only thing that I can come up with it that with the mines and having two geometry files being loaded (the asteroid and the mine head/docking port), the mine head is inside this "sphere" but that actual docking port is just out side of it. Hence docking is unaffected. Also, I am thinking that the tunnels are somehow being seen and used for by the collision system before/instead of the exterior polygons. Since the tunnels do extend to the exterior geometry this seems plausible. I have noticed the collision in my test never happens close to a tunnel entrance and always seems to happen well away from them. Which leads me to believe that for some reason the exterior polygons are being ignored, and that the tunnels are confusing the game engine in some way.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Been with the X-series from the beginning. If it happens in the X_Universe I've been there done that several times over.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 20. Jul 10, 18:43

Yep (I know I said I'd be quiet! :oops: ). If you took the asteroid model and added the tunnels to get the present model, would it work more the way you want if you started off with just the tunnels and added the asteroid?

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Wed, 21. Jul 10, 03:03

Actually, in the process on creating them, the asteroid_A_ClassMine version, the tunnels were in GMAX first, then the asteroid was imported and then the boolean operation done.

For the asteroid_B_ClassMine, I brought in the asteroid model, then the tunnels and the done the boolean.

Basically going at each from opposite directions. Yet both asteroids exhibit the same issue.

Gotta give you a cookie for trying, but still no cigar, :wink:
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Been with the X-series from the beginning. If it happens in the X_Universe I've been there done that several times over.

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Wed, 21. Jul 10, 21:46

Version 1.5 has been released.

Release notes are in the OP.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 21. Jul 10, 22:20

Thanks, much appreciated. Personally, I think the frequency of finding of the holed asteroids is now not far wrong plus the reduced shot protection available in the tunnels keeps some spice in those desperate combat evasion situations. Please consider keeping this or similar as a vanilla-safe version when your MD version is also released. Cheers. :D

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Wed, 21. Jul 10, 22:40

@Alan

Yea, this one is going to be available as well as the new MD based version.

Just be careful, the C Class asteroid is fairly easy to bust up. Bouncing a ship off of one of the tunnels a bit may not bust. But missiles and gun fire is a different story.

I have thought of something, I may look into it in the near future.
It may be possible to edit the Mine Scene files, change the references so the the L,M & S version of the Ore and Silicone mines all look to the A Class asteroid. That, if vanilla safe, would allow the B class, with the tunnels, to be put back into the mod.

By changing those references, anytime a mine is built the model in game should just put an A class into the scene, even though you had a B class selected to build the mine on. The ware type and quantity should stay the same, just the model changes.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Mon, 26. Jul 10, 18:04

Version 2.0 is available.

Since this version makes use of the Mission Director and makes a change to the TAsteroids types file it is NOT "Vanilla Safe". So, if you want to stay Vanilla then download Version 1.5, my plans are to keep the 1.X series of this mod "Vanilla Safe".

Release notes for both versions are in the OP of this post.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

The-Last-Communist

Post by The-Last-Communist » Mon, 26. Jul 10, 19:34

oh ! forgot to say , EPIC WIN !
Splits , for the better things in life...

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 06:01

To anyone interested,

A good friend has told me that this mod is AP compatible (version 2.0 anyway).

He said he placed the .cat & .dat pair in the addon folder as the next higher number (as a fake patch) and then placed the HolyAsteroids.xml file in a director folder under the addon folder as well. He said it works like a charm.

This would, of course, mean downloading the ZIP version to install it into X3AP. The SPK version probably willnot work correctly as the Plugin manager would most likely install the files in the wrong location.

I personally can not yet confirm this, but will as soon as I am able to.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

R-TEAM
x4

Post by R-TEAM » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 05:45

Hi,

i want this mod along XTC1.2a and if i understand it right the only problem is the TAsteroids file as it overwrites the file from XTC.......
So i have maked an TAsteroids file who i merged the two files (was only 2 asteroids who need importing in the XTC file...)
"I" think if i understand this right (i am still new in X3 modding :P ) my TAsteroids file in the right directory of the main folder from X3 should work as expectet :)
As i cant anything here upload the file is in the XTC forum for download.

Hope its work.

Regards
R-TEAM

Schabernack

Post by Schabernack » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 13:20

hi, great for game atmosphere, but as my hardware isn't the newest/fastest i am using the
v2.04: Less Fat, More FPS
by halo112358 which is also still AP compatible

so i was wondering if
a) this would be perhaps already a low poly mod
b) or if you would consider creating one :oops:
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future
tc-ap minimax

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Fri, 7. Dec 12, 16:47

Links updated to remove Mediafire as the download source.
My mods will now be located in there own Google Code hosting page.
Only the latest version will be uploaded, barring any updates of course.
Please see the OP for the new links.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Snakeegg
x3tc

Post by Snakeegg » Wed, 27. Nov 13, 20:58

Hello! Does it work with X3TC 3.2 and where can i download a -.rar or -.zip-version? The Pluginmanager won´t work on my computer.

Greetings Snakeegg!
Sorgfältig ausgesuchte Scripts erhöhen den Spielspass !

Snakeegg
x3tc

Hello! Does it work with X3TC 3.2 and where can i download a -.rar or -.zip-version? The Pluginmanager won´t work on my computer.

Greetings Snakeegg!

Snakeegg
x3tc

Greetings Snakeegg!

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 00:02

@ Snakeegg - Yea, I'm using it with 3.2........PM me your email address and I'll package it up in a ZIP and email it to you.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Aldebaran_Prime
x4

Post by Aldebaran_Prime » Tue, 17. Mar 15, 07:21

I just tested it successfully with AP, too.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”