A semi-RTS approach.. Starting small.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 29. Jan 10, 19:36

How hard is the galaxy editor to use? if so, a nice 5-10 'empty' map would be ideal to create and use id think..
Like all Egosoft products the interface is a mess (sorry guys, but it's the plain truth ^^), but it's functional enough, and making a small empty map is easy.
(want to hire: AI scriptor 8) )
What's the salary ? :mrgreen:

For instance, you could simply disallow any and all ammo based lasers. Too complicated. Scratch. See? You already eliminated the whole "AI ships run out of ammo" issue. =)
Seconded. The most important part in script/code development (at least for big projects) is to determine what must be done first and what can be postponed.
Gazz wrote:There will be no mouse dragging unless you use an out-of-game mechanic like AutoHotkey.[...]
Gazz wrote:You'll just have to figure out when not to listen. =P
That's a good example ;)

About user suggestions. Can't agree more. Can't count how many people have asked for a sector takeover in PG (whatever the edition) without taking into account the incredible amount of gameplay issues it would raise. :roll:
Managing all the rules/flags in a TFile or TFiles is far more flexible (and modable! =) and it's a whole lot easier to keep track of which race got which ships or abilities if these are always found in one rules section instead of spread throughout 10 scripts.
I totally agree about the whole standardization. This is exactly what i did NOT do for PG, and now while writing YA, my main occupation is to copypasta PG files and slightly alter them for YA. This is an error i won't do again.

While writing Factions:AI, my main task is to write standard commands, tasks and build scripts that will read data from the faction definition TFile and act accordingly. In an ideal world, your whole faction could be entirely designed through a TFile. That was basically my point when i said that "writing a logic for one single faction is 'easy' but that writing one that works for several is another story".
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Fri, 29. Jan 10, 20:34

yay messy interface \o/ kinda expected that though :)

I pay in cookies?

ive got a few ideas regarding how the AIs will work together and against each other, but really I am not sure they will work..

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”