[SCRIPT] Slipstream Drive V1.10 : Updated 09/06/2009

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 09:47

17_16 is the original ware from the first post of this thread (which I cannot update).

Be sure to install the language file (and scripts) from the 2.01 pack linked above.

swatti
x4

Post by swatti » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 16:21

DrBullwinkle wrote:The drive is working if you get the sound effects.

The drive will stall if you are near anything else... try it again.

I am glad to hear that my test for a bad installation worked! Now I can use the same technique in other scripts that use custom wares.
  • (As for using vanilla wares, some of those may be changed by mods, so they are no safer to use than EMP wares. Also, you may need a spacefly collector for the Shady Business plot in AP 3.0.)
Tested, flew a fighter AND a cap-ship in the middle of nowhere, ALONE and tried the drive. Same issue as i mentioned. It just goes to normal mode where i can fly about normaly. Hitting the key just puts your ship into dead-stop, then back to normal max-speed.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 17:00

It is a prototype drive -- did I mention that it is a bit delicate? It can overheat, and there is a cooldown period after you use it. Most of the time it works fine, as long as there is no other object near your ship (10km or so). If you just spam the hotkey, then the drive won't work. Obviously. ;)

Here is a test version that includes logging of emergency shutdown causes. Try it a few times, then post the log0906.txt (above your saved game folder).

Test Version 2.02
  • (BTW, please do not quote entire posts. It adds nothing to the conversation and only makes a confusing mess of the thread.)

swatti
x4

Post by swatti » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 18:51

"Ooookey, what the..."

Works, sort of... Used it on a cap-ship. When clear of prox-alerts it seems to work but IF it stops from a prox-warning it comes out of warp and then second or so later launches off downwards at 5k speed few miles... Made me lol

10k range is a bit brutal, "when or where do you have 10k of room?" 1-2k at max.
W-energy & shield-drain is quite OK balance-wise.

Warping seems a bit "stuttering" so if im not mistaken, its like teleporting the ship, not really 'boosting the speed'. Engine-limitation i imagine...

Jump-drive sound loops over and over and over and then i got tired of it. Just once, please or nothing at all.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 18:57

Yep, if you get knocked out of the Slipstream, the results are unpredictable. You will be knocked off course -- sometimes far off course.

Proximity for "bouncing" out of the Slipstream is never really 10 km... that is just a number that covers all cases. The actual proximity limits depend on the size of the object. The drive is intended for traveling... not for escaping. Use your Turbo Booster for that job.

You would not expect the slipstream to act like normal space, would you? ;)

I am glad it is working for you.

swatti
x4

Post by swatti » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 20:19

Well, from the three times ove used it the "un-expectency" has ended up in a load-game screen because a fighter flew too close and my ship warped inside of an asteroid, station and jumpgate. If you tone that feature down a bit it would be nice.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 20:28

Slipstream can only be navigated by an organic pilot; never by the AI.

It takes skill and intuition to fly the slipstream successfully. With a little practice, most organic pilots can master the skill.

Argon Destroyer
x3tc

Post by Argon Destroyer » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 21:35

DrBullwinkle,
how can i reduce no weapons time? It's a bit long for me, i would like to reduce it for 25% :D
I like Running!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 05:25

Slipstream is specifically not for combat, Argon Destroyer.

For combat, use your Turbo Booster.

The Slipstream Drive is intended for long-distance travel without using SETA. It has intentional limitations and attempts to not be too much of a cheat (although it is certainly not cheat-proof).

Note that the Slipstream Drive is less expensive than a Turbo Booster, which means that you can afford to buy one early in the game. Also, a nearby abandoned ship may have a Slipstream Drive installed so that you can capture one before you can afford to buy one.

However, a Slipstream Drive is no good for fighting. It is not even good for escaping from nearby enemies. Those roles are better suited to a Turbo Booster.

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 13:59

I get the same results as swatti. Laser energy drops as expected.
swatti wrote:Tested, flew a fighter AND a cap-ship in the middle of nowhere, ALONE and tried the drive. Same issue as i mentioned. It just goes to normal mode where i can fly about normaly. Hitting the key just puts your ship into dead-stop, then back to normal max-speed.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 14:03

Swatti's report turned out to not be an issue, Kinnison. Read the rest of the discussion and give it another try.

If you continue to have trouble, then install the test version, try it a few times, then post your log file.

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Fri, 14. Jun 13, 14:27

DrBullwinkle wrote:Swatti's report turned out to not be an issue, Kinnison. Read the rest of the discussion and give it another try.

If you continue to have trouble, then install the test version, try it a few times, then post your log file.
I did read the rest, and it continued to be an issue for me. However, after I installed the test version to no effect I swapped the ware to another ship and back - now it WAD.

So I guess (I'm no scripter) that the swap-out reset/restarted the task running on my ship and the changes you made in 2.01 came into effect.

Thanks for your time.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 14. Jun 13, 14:34

There is no task to restart. Pressing the hotkey starts the drive. Pressing again stops the drive.

The test version writes to the log file. It logs all of the ways that the drive can stop (other than turning it off yourself with the hotkey).

If you installed the old version before v2, then it is possible that you had an incorrect ware on your ship. Have I mentioned that custom wares are kind of sketchy in X3? ;)

Anyway, I am glad that the drive is working for you now, Kinnison. And thank you for reporting your experience. I hope to improve reliability of custom wares in the future (because they are fun when they work).

swatti
x4

Post by swatti » Fri, 14. Jun 13, 16:25

Problem with turbo is that it boosts EXISTING top speed by 50%(?) so a XRM M2+ with 41m/s top speed doesnt really go any faster...

The proximity warning is WAY too picky, i cant see everywhere and if theres a fighter flying near me i cant use this.

The deceleration is also a bit too slow, when i turn it off i want it to pretty much come to dead-stop that second or very fast anyways.

Ive uninstalled the drive because the random jumping has got me stuck to asteroroids, stations and crashed into other ships...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REQUEST: Lite version

Simple "adds 120m/s speed to any ship its installed in" and eats all weapon and around 50% shields when used. Maybe heavy agility penalty too so cap-ships arent driven like fighters.
The weapon-energy drain could be active also few second after the drive is shut down.

Prox-warning at 200m, turning it off leaves ship at its normal max-speed. Must have full shields AND weapon energy to activate so you cant use it in combat to bail out of it.
Prox-warning penalty, cooldown to using the drive and longer no-juice-for-guns-time

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 14. Jun 13, 16:36

Sorry, but you're just not using it correctly, swatti.

The proximity warning is very generous. The drive is for travel not for combat. I find it extremely useful, which is why I posted it.

The deceleration is intentionally slow. Learning to use it takes a few tries. Not many, but a few. You have to use your head a bit... that is why slipstream requires an organic pilot.

If you have another idea for how to balance the extremely high speed of the Slipstream Drive, then suggest it. Asking to ruin the Slipstream Drive is not likely to generate much sympathy.
  • (I do tend to agree that the Turbo Booster should boost current top speed rather than vanilla-tuned top speed. But that is a different topic, for a different thread, about a different purpose.)

swatti
x4

Post by swatti » Fri, 14. Jun 13, 16:58

Only way to travel even loosely populated sector is to aim up, warp above the sector, then aim where you wanna go below and hope nothing comes close when warping to your intended target... And ofc save your game because this may take few tries/load-games.

For pure travel, fast M5 and then jump your cap to you when you need some muscle.

I dont want to use it "in combat" i want to use it to "get to combat" and also not "to get out of it" eighter.

As for the turbo, we both agree.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 14. Jun 13, 17:06

swatti wrote:Only way to travel even loosely populated sector is to aim up, warp above the sector
You're making it too difficult for yourself. It is not that hard; honest.

It takes a small amount of skill and a little bit of practice to learn how to fly the slipstream successfully. That is kind of the point of the drive -- it makes travel fun (by adding a bit of challenge) rather than boring (like flying around on SETA).

Once you get used to how slipstream works, it is a very useful tool. It is not the only way to get around; there are still scouts, jump drives, jump beacons, and Turbo. It is just one of several tools -- but it is extremely convenient when you use it for its intended purpose.

cryptonite1
x4

Post by cryptonite1 » Fri, 14. Jun 13, 20:44

ok, not really working for me, i hear effects, i get energy drain(no shield drain tho)

here are the facts:
1. Im atleast 40k from everything
2. i pressed the hotkey and the ship comes to a dead-stop, system says "turbo engaged" and after 3 secs "conventional engine working" and the ship goes back to normal top speed.
3. im flying a pirate carrack.
4. i bought the thing from a station, not using a cheat.
5. i read the previous posts discussing this topic, but aint working.

any tips or help?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 14. Jun 13, 22:17

cryptonite1 wrote: i read the previous posts discussing this topic
In that case, you have already installed the test version, used it a few times, and posted the log from it, right?

Argon Destroyer
x3tc

Post by Argon Destroyer » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 10:46

Well, that's is good script for peacfull traveling :)
If in other corner of sector is battle, i just change ship from Kyoto to Acinonyx Prototype and fly there with escrot and attack wings(from CODEA).
I like Running!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”