[script] Universe Explorers v2.4.0: Update Sep 5

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

aerick911
x4

Post by aerick911 » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 04:32

This sounds silly, but where do you find the software in game?

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 05:07

aerick911 wrote:This sounds silly, but where do you find the software in game?
Explorer software is sold at certain equipment docks, mostly Teladi as I recall...been so long since I bought any in my real game that I may be mistaken though :roll:

Some of the corporate hq's sell it too (Explorer software is part of the original game and was not put in by me).

I just use cheat scripts to make my explorers when I am testing, they are actually included in the install so you all can use them too if you want...a special of 15 is all specials, fyi :lol:

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 07:34

Tried 2.1.1 yesterday.
I'd reset the exploration database before re-starting my only lvl20 explorer.

He still places adv.satellites even if another one is present in a sector (config has only the first placement option enabled - one per sector). And I'd seen xenon sector as destination point in orders (xenon is "foe"). Maybe explorer tried to place sattelite there?

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 07:51

lrd99 wrote:Tried 2.1.1 yesterday.
I'd reset the exploration database before re-starting my only lvl20 explorer.

He still places adv.satellites even if another one is present in a sector (config has only the first placement option enabled - one per sector). And I'd seen xenon sector as destination point in orders (xenon is "foe"). Maybe explorer tried to place sattelite there?
Hmmm...I will take a look at it, I have not been able to reproduce the sat placement problem myself though. However, the single sat is place in the center, if there is another sat more than 5k or so from the center it is still supposed to place it.

As for the xenon sector, did they actually enter the sector or just say they were going there? They will still list their destination until they notice it is enemy by getting close to the friendly side gate. If they blundered on through then there is a problem... :shock:

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 10:59

7ate9tin11s wrote: Hmmm...I will take a look at it, I have not been able to reproduce the sat placement problem myself though. However, the single sat is place in the center, if there is another sat more than 5k or so from the center it is still supposed to place it.
The sat was placed manually about 10-15k from center. A center is not the best place for sat in certain cases. Is it possible to avoid placing if a sector already has at least one sat no matter of their locations (only for "one-per-sector" option)?
As for the xenon sector, did they actually enter the sector or just say they were going there? They will still list their destination until they notice it is enemy by getting close to the friendly side gate. If they blundered on through then there is a problem... :shock:
He hadn't a chance to enter... I sent him away to an other side of the map. If I catch the situation again, I'll watch him closely.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Thu, 18. Jun 09, 09:47

:evil:

Important update posted. I finally located the problem that is causing the travel through enemy teritory and fixed several major bugs in the unexplored sector locators. The only bug remaining in testing after the fixes involves impossible situations with no possible paths between points which actually have a path (ie spawning explorers in random sectors throughout an unexplored universe). This is not a big issue since you should have a connected sector graph unless your cheating :p

Nothing but a bug fix this time...no new features for you! ;)

Oh, and for those with sta problems, the single center sat now will not be placed if there is another sat within 25k of the center (Nav Sat range).

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Thu, 18. Jun 09, 10:38

The issue with xenon sector as destination was back yesterday. I'd noticed my explorer marked xenon sector as destination and flew through 3 sectors. In the last safe sector right at the gate he jumped from, the order was changed to "retreat". In 5-6 seconds on SETA1000, order was changed to "idle". Then again to "retreat" and so on. Explorer was staying at the gate all the time with minor movements.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Thu, 18. Jun 09, 10:41

lrd99 wrote:The issue with xenon sector as destination was back yesterday. I'd noticed my explorer marked xenon sector as destination and flew through 3 sectors. In the last safe sector right at the gate he jumped from, the order was changed to "retreat". In 5-6 seconds on SETA1000, order was changed to "idle". Then again to "retreat" and so on. Explorer was staying at the gate all the time with minor movements.
Which is one reason there is an update today, let me know if that does not fix it :D

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Thu, 18. Jun 09, 11:15

I surely will. :)

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Thu, 18. Jun 09, 13:51

SPK is now available along with the normal zip...please let me know if I made the SPK wrong ><;;;

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Fri, 19. Jun 09, 09:37

As I promised. :)

Routing through enemy sectors works strange. Explorer had been positioned manually in the center of asteroids field in Unknown sector between Montalaar and New Income. Then I gave him an order to start. He was waiting for a couple of seconds, then marked another Unknown sector as a target and flew through New Income and Ianamus Zura in Eighteen Billion. There he stopped at the gate and hanged in loop of "Idle" and "destination - Unknown sector". In 2.1.1 instead of "Idle" was "Retreat"...
I have almost entire map opened.

And now I have difficulties with asteroids scanning. The only one such activity was noticed when explorer was waiting for lowering of a danger in an adjacent sector on the way to destination. He arrived into danger sector, sent a message about "too dangerous", moved to a previous sector, scaned an asteroid there and moved into danger sector again. The sequence was repeated about 6-7 times.
Is a way exist to force an explorer to scan asteroids? I know about other commands, but this is loss of XP...

virgil64
x3tc

Post by virgil64 » Sat, 20. Jun 09, 11:30

Hi there,

This may be a silly question, but I installed 2.1.0 via extracting the zip file into relevant directories, now I have 2.1.2 as a SPK file, is this ok or should I use the zip version. Also I assume in your direction to remove (plugin.ap.* and plugin.ux.*), that the * is wildcard and you mean ALL files with those prefix (about 90 in total roughly?)

Thanks for the script I like it 8)

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Sat, 20. Jun 09, 14:23

lrd99 wrote:As I promised. :)
*technical details*
*mumble mumble mumble* ... ok, I thought that problem only happened when there was an unconnected grid now...I know how to fix it, but the solution is not pretty (Involves route checking in several locator scripts, the cpu overhead might be a problem so I need to test it more). Prepare for 2.1.3 early next week.
lrd99 wrote: And now I have difficulties with asteroids scanning. The only one such activity was noticed when explorer was waiting for lowering of a danger in an adjacent sector on the way to destination. He arrived into danger sector, sent a message about "too dangerous", moved to a previous sector, scaned an asteroid there and moved into danger sector again. The sequence was repeated about 6-7 times.
Is a way exist to force an explorer to scan asteroids? I know about other commands, but this is loss of XP...
Currently explorers prioritize asteroids lowest, it would be easy enough for me to make finishing asteroids in a sector higher than moving on to another sector though. Starting to scan them would still be lowest priority, but once they start they would finish the sector before moving on. I will test it out...and perhaps even let the player decide the priority list, if I get really ambitious :p

virgil64 wrote:Hi there,

This may be a silly question, but I installed 2.1.0 via extracting the zip file into relevant directories, now I have 2.1.2 as a SPK file, is this ok or should I use the zip version. Also I assume in your direction to remove (plugin.ap.* and plugin.ux.*), that the * is wildcard and you mean ALL files with those prefix (about 90 in total roughly?)

Thanks for the script I like it
I am fairly sure the SPK will just overwrite the files automatically, but since there were several scripts removed from the latest update you may want to delete the files first. And yes, it is all the plugin.ap.* and plugin.ux.*, plus if you have upgraded through from way earlier versions you can remove al.plugin.ux. Lastly, for a complete uninstall you can also remove setup.plugin.ux.

It is up to 90, eh... :shock: ...well I do prefer to modularize into small easily debugged files over giant branching files...plus script calls help prevent loops, right? :roll:

So there should be a new version with even better pathing out early next week, if it is really bothering you, you can put a 'return null' at the top of plugin.ux.lib.locate.sat.network as that is where the problem usually originates (It will make your explorers slightly less smart though).

Khas

Post by Khas » Sun, 21. Jun 09, 17:05

Slight problem with this and the Advanced Hyperdrive mod (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=235225), and I'm not sure where the problem is :-( The symptoms are that when I start the explorer, and it starts charting a system, it uses the AHD to zip to the centre of the sector. It then tries flying away normally, until it's at the 'large distance' threshold that AHD sets before it kicks in (15km), and then zip back to the centre of the sector again. I imagine this is because the explorer script has a destination of [0,0,0] for something, and that's what the AHD is looking for. (That's why I'm asking here first before AHD, because it's to do with the destination it's being sent to, which is what this script sets, rather than how it does - or at least so it seems).

Thank you so very very very very very much for bringing this from X3:R - the explorer in the default game is terrible! Especially as I'm using the Sector Size and Backgrounds mod (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=228541) , the default couldn't find any of the gates any more. I hope I'll have more success with this than that. If I can get the AHD working with it, even better! :-D

EDIT: Just spotted another wee problem: crashing into planets. I know the planets have changed alot in the SS&B mod, but I imagine this would have happened in vanilla in places like Split Fire. I can't remember off the top of my head if planet damage is applied OOS or just IS, and that could be why I noticed it crashing just now (I was IS with the explorer), but it's a bit worrying! I'm not sure if anything can be done about that though...

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Mon, 22. Jun 09, 05:41

Khas wrote:Slight problem with this and the Advanced Hyperdrive mod (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=235225), and I'm not sure where the problem is :-( The symptoms are that when I start the explorer, and it starts charting a system, it uses the AHD to zip to the centre of the sector. It then tries flying away normally, until it's at the 'large distance' threshold that AHD sets before it kicks in (15km), and then zip back to the centre of the sector again. I imagine this is because the explorer script has a destination of [0,0,0] for something, and that's what the AHD is looking for. (That's why I'm asking here first before AHD, because it's to do with the destination it's being sent to, which is what this script sets, rather than how it does - or at least so it seems).
The actual exploration methods are in the plugin.ux.lib.explore.* files, as you have expanded sector sizes and explorers ignore modified scanner ranges they are most likely using the spiral method. In the 2.1.2 version they start at a corner near their entry gate and use a move to location progression based on half their scanner range. So if their scanner range is 30,000 they will move in 15,000 incriments in the following manner: 8 steps south, 8 steps east, 6 steps north, 6 west, 4 s, 4 e, ... 0 done exploring.

Therefore, if your explorer is high enough level to use triplex scanners they will pass the hyperdrive threshhold every move. Most likely they are just instantly finishing the sector by hyperdriving to every move point in a matter of moments? or If the hyperdrive automatically puts them into the center of the sector then they are probably really confused.
Khas wrote:EDIT: Just spotted another wee problem: crashing into planets. I know the planets have changed alot in the SS&B mod, but I imagine this would have happened in vanilla in places like Split Fire. I can't remember off the top of my head if planet damage is applied OOS or just IS, and that could be why I noticed it crashing just now (I was IS with the explorer), but it's a bit worrying! I'm not sure if anything can be done about that though...
Hmmm...that is an interesting one...they honestly do not even think of planets right now. I guess I can have them go elsewhere if the player happens to enter the sector which would solve it since planets have no mass in out of sector.

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Mon, 22. Jun 09, 10:53

7ate9tin11s wrote: *mumble mumble mumble* ... ok, I thought that problem only happened when there was an unconnected grid now...I know how to fix it, but the solution is not pretty (Involves route checking in several locator scripts, the cpu overhead might be a problem so I need to test it more). Prepare for 2.1.3 early next week.
Maybe instead of searching far away routes, just send a message "Exploration done, nothing more in this part of the Galaxy"? And left decision to a player?
7ate9tin11s wrote: Currently explorers prioritize asteroids lowest, it would be easy enough for me to make finishing asteroids in a sector higher than moving on to another sector though. Starting to scan them would still be lowest priority, but once they start they would finish the sector before moving on. I will test it out...and perhaps even let the player decide the priority list, if I get really ambitious :p
This would be great.
Well... I dream of switchable "deep exploration" mode. Explorer will map sector by two spirals (15km above and below of ecliptic?) with double radius (I love those pirate bases, he-he), and then scan all asteroids... This means the job well done no matter of a costs. :)
(modes of deep exploration: always/only new sectors/never)

I'd met another problem. My explorer repeatedly tried to explore Unknown sector above the Argon M148. This sector well known of khaak respawning... So the picture is:
1. Start explore, get a hit of kyon, launch drones and retreat.
2. Take a breath (meanwhile a danger beacon gets destroyed), buy drones, return to sector, repeat 1.

Again, only sending to a far side of Galaxy did help.

Is it possible manually mark some sectors in exploration database as "Not for exploration. Passing at all possible speed recommended"?

This is even more in need than ejecting pilots... :)

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Mon, 22. Jun 09, 12:10

lrd99 wrote: Is it possible manually mark some sectors in exploration database as "Not for exploration. Passing at all possible speed recommended"?

This is even more in need than ejecting pilots... :)
Already in, drop a navigational warning beacon from the navigation menu in the sector, the player dropped beacon is permanent until something destroys it and marks the sector as impassable (just drop it off the main trade lanes). The explorer automatically dropped beacons only last 10 minutes of game time currently (I know, another thing that should have options for :p ).
Maybe instead of searching far away routes, just send a message "Exploration done, nothing more in this part of the Galaxy"? And left decision to a player?
Possible, but I prefer them to do everything on their own. Perhaps a 'stuck in a rut' monitor will work. If the explorer seems to only be in the same area for too long they will get wanderlust and bolt off to a random area of the galaxy. This would actually fix another problem when you start a bunch of explorers in the same area too.

I am quite busy this week so far so I may be a bit delayed... :shock:

Khas

Post by Khas » Mon, 22. Jun 09, 12:29

7ate9tin11s wrote:
Khas wrote:Slight problem with this and the Advanced Hyperdrive mod (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=235225), and I'm not sure where the problem is :-( The symptoms are that when I start the explorer, and it starts charting a system, it uses the AHD to zip to the centre of the sector. It then tries flying away normally, until it's at the 'large distance' threshold that AHD sets before it kicks in (15km), and then zip back to the centre of the sector again. I imagine this is because the explorer script has a destination of [0,0,0] for something, and that's what the AHD is looking for. (That's why I'm asking here first before AHD, because it's to do with the destination it's being sent to, which is what this script sets, rather than how it does - or at least so it seems).
The actual exploration methods are in the plugin.ux.lib.explore.* files, as you have expanded sector sizes and explorers ignore modified scanner ranges they are most likely using the spiral method. In the 2.1.2 version they start at a corner near their entry gate and use a move to location progression based on half their scanner range. So if their scanner range is 30,000 they will move in 15,000 incriments in the following manner: 8 steps south, 8 steps east, 6 steps north, 6 west, 4 s, 4 e, ... 0 done exploring.

Therefore, if your explorer is high enough level to use triplex scanners they will pass the hyperdrive threshhold every move. Most likely they are just instantly finishing the sector by hyperdriving to every move point in a matter of moments? or If the hyperdrive automatically puts them into the center of the sector then they are probably really confused.
Well, the problem isn't the spiral effect, nor the scanner. This was a brand new spawned Kestrel for testing. I gave pimped it out and let it enter a new sector. (I tried this with the normal sectors too) and when it entered it used the AHD to zip to the centre of the sector. It then kept trying to move to a corner of the sector, but zipped back. It was level 1.
Khas wrote:EDIT: Just spotted another wee problem: crashing into planets. I know the planets have changed alot in the SS&B mod, but I imagine this would have happened in vanilla in places like Split Fire. I can't remember off the top of my head if planet damage is applied OOS or just IS, and that could be why I noticed it crashing just now (I was IS with the explorer), but it's a bit worrying! I'm not sure if anything can be done about that though...
Hmmm...that is an interesting one...they honestly do not even think of planets right now. I guess I can have them go elsewhere if the player happens to enter the sector which would solve it since planets have no mass in out of sector.
[/quote]

Yeah, it was just something that popped up and went bang when I was testing the first problem.

I've got anothet query: why don't they use the scanners properly anymore? I'd rather pimp them out before I send them off. A bit like trade command software 3: it only fetches equipment at certain levels if it didn't already have it. If it did have it, it would use it.

Another one (sorry): did you change the algorithm somehow? Previously (X3:R), I could buy 10 Discos and just tell them all to go away and explore. They would move to fly through a gate that hadn't been explored yet. Now, however, they all start mapping the sector they start in first! :-( It means a fair bit of micromanaging to get them started where you need them.

Loky77
x3tc

Post by Loky77 » Mon, 22. Jun 09, 12:59

@Khas

Before you post in the AHD thread i know why your AHD-enabled ship are zipping back to the sector center.

First you have auto-drive activated, that's why you are zipping as soon as you are 15km away from the center, anyway the AHD script is not the culprit here.

I explain.

When auto-drive is activated, AHD script is periodically looking if the ship it's running on has a target set. When i say target i don't mean "in-game target" i mean a "in-script" target ie: something set via the command

Code: Select all

<object> -> set command target: <target>
Problem is when there is no target set, the return of the

<object> -> get command target
gives 0, and 0 as coordinates is the center of the sector.

So nothing can be done in AHD if a target is not set.
That why i disabled the vanilla explorer command to be checked while Auto-drive is active as in those script the target location is not defined via the

<object> ->set command target <target>
command

Tech part finished, now for solution.
  1. The easiest: Turn off Auto drive while using those explorer command.
  2. Requires adjustment from the new explorer command script creator:
    When you have a destination you want to make the ship fly use the "set target command" and put as value an array containing [x, y, z, sector]
    Where x, y, z are the coordinates the ship needs to fly to, and sector is the sector where those coordinates are to be applied.
    This way auto-drive will have something to eat and won't make things zip back to center.

Hope this will help :=)

Khas

Post by Khas » Mon, 22. Jun 09, 17:21

Loky77 wrote:@Khas

Before you post in the AHD thread i know why your AHD-enabled ship are zipping back to the sector center.

First you have auto-drive activated, that's why you are zipping as soon as you are 15km away from the center, anyway the AHD script is not the culprit here.

I explain.

When auto-drive is activated, AHD script is periodically looking if the ship it's running on has a target set. When i say target i don't mean "in-game target" i mean a "in-script" target ie: something set via the command

<object> -> set command target: <target>
Problem is when there is no target set, the return of the

<object> -> get command target
gives 0, and 0 as coordinates is the center of the sector.

So nothing can be done in AHD if a target is not set.
That why i disabled the vanilla explorer command to be checked while Auto-drive is active as in those script the target location is not defined via the

<object> ->set command target <target>
command

Tech part finished, now for solution.
  1. The easiest: Turn off Auto drive while using those explorer command.
  2. Requires adjustment from the new explorer command script creator:
    When you have a destination you want to make the ship fly use the "set target command" and put as value an array containing [x, y, z, sector]
    Where x, y, z are the coordinates the ship needs to fly to, and sector is the sector where those coordinates are to be applied.
    This way auto-drive will have something to eat and won't make things zip back to center.

Hope this will help :=)
Ah, yes I knew it was the Auto-Drive, I should have mentioned that. I also knew exactly why it was doing it, which was the reasons you gave. However, I assumed that the explorer script would use 'Fly to position' commands, which as far as I know the auto-drive can handle it (as the script target will be the position to fly to). I don't use it anymore, I was using the AHD to check the explorer script worked ok with the Sector Size and Backgrounds mod (which is why I wanted to get to a particular sector I was having trouble with quicker), and I don't think it can handle the size of those sectors. :-( The vanilla explorer definitely can't, I wish this one could, and could work with AHD, then I'd be happy. :-)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”