[script] Universe Explorers v2.4.0: Update Sep 5

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Tue, 9. Jun 09, 09:27

7ate9tin11s wrote:Finally getting a little time to work on this some more...

So far for the next version I have fixed terran sector interaction problems and added a shared exploration database. The database lets your explorers know the last time a sector was explored so they can re-scan it to find new stations if more than 24 hours has passed. This also allows explorers to explore sectors which the player visited but may not have found everything in.

I've also adjust the searching system to be based on the farthest away known gate in a system instead of whatever gate was used to enter the system.

No work on the pilot ejection yet though, still considering the best method to use for recovery:
1. You buy a ship with exploration software and it will have a command to pick up a pilot making that ship theirs.
2. The explorer just orders a ship from a nearby shipyard of the same type ejected from, the ship will then come and pick them up (Kinda expensive!)
3. Some other method as of yet undertermined.

I am leaning towards 1 with 2 being an option in the config screen for those with no money worries :roll:

Perhaps I should just write a universal pilot recovery script the I and others can use (ie the scripters just specify the local var(s) to keep and the script to call once recovery is done).
If the pilot ejects in a system with no stations, he can send you a signal to pick him up personally.

Also, please make it so that they do not enter sectors that we have set to Enemy. I always lose my explorers in Xenon sectors. They enter, even though it is set to Enemy and gets confused, attacked and die.

Otherwise setting a race to Enemy has no impact :)

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 9. Jun 09, 10:50

It is not that they will not enter a sector that is set to enemy, it is that they will enter it, notice it is enemy, and exit asap. Sadly, when completely unwatched sectors only refresh every 10 to 30 seconds or so, thus there is enough time for an attack round to happen if the gate is camped.

I guess I can make them cheat and peek through the gate before entering (ie set sector to known before running move to sector command) so they really never enter enemy sectors, but that is a bit unrealistic and would further reduce the risks of exploring.

Oh, been playing with Gazz's OOS rebalance scripts...they are murder on explorers ><;;;

I've also been using Teladi Kestrals as my explorers now with wonderful results, the mix of 600 speed and medium cargo makes for a great explorer, just remember to sell the weapons off before you start them as explorers are utter cowards.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Tue, 9. Jun 09, 11:07

7ate9tin11s wrote:It is not that they will not enter a sector that is set to enemy, it is that they will enter it, notice it is enemy, and exit asap. Sadly, when completely unwatched sectors only refresh every 10 to 30 seconds or so, thus there is enough time for an attack round to happen if the gate is camped.

I guess I can make them cheat and peek through the gate before entering (ie set sector to known before running move to sector command) so they really never enter enemy sectors, but that is a bit unrealistic and would further reduce the risks of exploring.

It would be nice for them to follow orders though :) If I hire a guy and tell him not to enter my enemy's territory I expect him to follow protocol. But if he's a noob he could get confused with the orders and such. But after reaching level 7 for example he remembers not to enter Enemy territory.

I have lost two high level explorers this way, and that kind of sucks..... Now most of the territories are explored, but there are still a lot of asteroids to be scanned. When they start at lvl1 now, they mostly fly around not knowing what to do.

Also, now that most territory is explored I have to turn of placement of satellites. As they started to put new satellites next to the old ones, which is a bit redundant :)

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 15:15

7ate9tin11s wrote: No work on the pilot ejection yet though, still considering the best method to use for recovery:
1. You buy a ship with exploration software and it will have a command to pick up a pilot making that ship theirs.
2. The explorer just orders a ship from a nearby shipyard of the same type ejected from, the ship will then come and pick them up (Kinda expensive!)
3. Some other method as of yet undertermined.

I am leaning towards 1 with 2 being an option in the config screen for those with no money worries :roll:
It would be nice to have a config option "#1/#2/Ask player". #2 should be costly (maybe x2-x5 compare to #1). As for third option... it may be something like "Should I call for labor union help, or just wait for rescue?"

CaptainRAVE
x4

Post by CaptainRAVE » Thu, 11. Jun 09, 23:32

Two questions:

Does this work with version 2.1?

When can we expect an update? e.g. keeping our explorers out of enemy sectors!

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Fri, 12. Jun 09, 03:37

I am trying to get everything working in 2.1, currently the only problem I have located is that the delivery service I use from the universe traders scripts has been redesigned so it stops the explorers from working. There may be a problem with the scanning now too, but I need to get the delivery system working first to be sure.

Already fixed the entry system, the explorers will go up to a gate and peek through to see who owns the adjoining sector and not enter if they should not.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Fri, 12. Jun 09, 12:16

Good news/Bad news....

Good news: Fixed delivery service issues

Bad news: Something in the jumpdrive scripts causes a loop in rare situations...going to take some time to hunt this one down as the jump script is pretty complicated (It knows they have small cargo bays so they hop from power station to power station if it is far away).

Maybe I will get lucky and find the problem quickly... :roll:

thunderai
x3tc

Post by thunderai » Tue, 16. Jun 09, 00:39

Why are they buying Space Fuel?

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 16. Jun 09, 02:21

thunderai wrote:Why are they buying Space Fuel?
Because they are thirsty :lol:

Honestly the reasons are threefold:
1. The pilots can only take so much being alone and stuffed in a tiny fighter. Not to mention space weed and fuel are the main product of my in-game company, Legitimate Enterprises, Inc, so they support the...um economy? :lol:
2. It acts as a small money sink in those cheap early levels of exploration and helps find pirate stations.
3. There is a chance that a pilot using space weed or fuel will see a path to an unexplored sector as counterbalance to their poor exploring skills. This seeing is the equivilent to the max level 24 explorer goner exploration database access.

However since micropayments are now in effect this should become an option...once i get the jump script finished for proper 2.1 use. :shock:

CaptainRAVE
x4

Post by CaptainRAVE » Tue, 16. Jun 09, 10:33

Thanks for the update!

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 16. Jun 09, 10:42

CaptainRAVE wrote:Thanks for the update!
No problem :lol:

Oh, for those that have been using this script you may want to reset the exploration database from the menu once you upgrade. Otherwise all of your known sectors will be explored again...though that may be a good thing to catch missing items with the improved scanning techniques :D

Up to you :twisted:

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Tue, 16. Jun 09, 11:56

Thank you!

cygnetsong

Post by cygnetsong » Tue, 16. Jun 09, 15:59

great update! Just what I was thinking this needed. I can't wait to retry it! Now, maybe I can get that Kestral to stay alive long enough to max level!

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 16. Jun 09, 16:46

cygnetsong wrote:great update! Just what I was thinking this needed. I can't wait to retry it! Now, maybe I can get that Kestral to stay alive long enough to max level!
While the Kestral is great for leveling, you probably want to move them into a ship with a larger cargo bay once they hit level 23 (The command is in the navigation menu)...the kestral just does not have enough room for energy, fighter drones, and missiles. Other than that the kestral is still my explorer of choice for the sheer speed of exploration.

thunderai
x3tc

Post by thunderai » Tue, 16. Jun 09, 16:54

I have five discover haulers doing things....mostly drinking....

aerick911
x4

Post by aerick911 » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 04:32

This sounds silly, but where do you find the software in game?

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 05:07

aerick911 wrote:This sounds silly, but where do you find the software in game?
Explorer software is sold at certain equipment docks, mostly Teladi as I recall...been so long since I bought any in my real game that I may be mistaken though :roll:

Some of the corporate hq's sell it too (Explorer software is part of the original game and was not put in by me).

I just use cheat scripts to make my explorers when I am testing, they are actually included in the install so you all can use them too if you want...a special of 15 is all specials, fyi :lol:

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 07:34

Tried 2.1.1 yesterday.
I'd reset the exploration database before re-starting my only lvl20 explorer.

He still places adv.satellites even if another one is present in a sector (config has only the first placement option enabled - one per sector). And I'd seen xenon sector as destination point in orders (xenon is "foe"). Maybe explorer tried to place sattelite there?

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 07:51

lrd99 wrote:Tried 2.1.1 yesterday.
I'd reset the exploration database before re-starting my only lvl20 explorer.

He still places adv.satellites even if another one is present in a sector (config has only the first placement option enabled - one per sector). And I'd seen xenon sector as destination point in orders (xenon is "foe"). Maybe explorer tried to place sattelite there?
Hmmm...I will take a look at it, I have not been able to reproduce the sat placement problem myself though. However, the single sat is place in the center, if there is another sat more than 5k or so from the center it is still supposed to place it.

As for the xenon sector, did they actually enter the sector or just say they were going there? They will still list their destination until they notice it is enemy by getting close to the friendly side gate. If they blundered on through then there is a problem... :shock:

lrd99

Post by lrd99 » Wed, 17. Jun 09, 10:59

7ate9tin11s wrote: Hmmm...I will take a look at it, I have not been able to reproduce the sat placement problem myself though. However, the single sat is place in the center, if there is another sat more than 5k or so from the center it is still supposed to place it.
The sat was placed manually about 10-15k from center. A center is not the best place for sat in certain cases. Is it possible to avoid placing if a sector already has at least one sat no matter of their locations (only for "one-per-sector" option)?
As for the xenon sector, did they actually enter the sector or just say they were going there? They will still list their destination until they notice it is enemy by getting close to the friendly side gate. If they blundered on through then there is a problem... :shock:
He hadn't a chance to enter... I sent him away to an other side of the map. If I catch the situation again, I'll watch him closely.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”