[SCR] Missile Safety (v1.12)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Mon, 19. Oct 09, 21:34

Gazz excellent job as usual,only realised how much I needed this when I fired a hurricane and it blew up right next to me and forced change of underwear :wink:
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 20. Oct 09, 11:24

I'm not going to rename it to Underwear Safety, though.

aka1nas wrote:Woohooo! Can't wait until it's ready! Is that going to be a part of your OOS redux?
There is no direct connection but for the OOS Rebalance I had to rewrite the stock ES scripts anyway so I placed the hooks for this one while I was there.
If MS is installed as well, AI ships (including yours) should then make use of it.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Wed, 21. Oct 09, 02:16

Crap, it's been working on AI ships all this time(I've been running both scripts for a while now)?! I'll have to go and watch them, I didn't notice. :oops:

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 21. Oct 09, 12:26

If AI ships don't spontaneously combust for no apparent reason then it's probably working.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Thu, 22. Oct 09, 04:26

Gazz wrote:If AI ships don't spontaneously combust for no apparent reason then it's probably working.
A good point. I've been running CODEA pretty heavily as well, which takes over the missile launching for it's fighters, so my ships tend not to even fire missiles when enemies are very close.

borgrel

Post by borgrel » Fri, 30. Oct 09, 17:34

I'm not rly interested in this for this for my personal craft

Does this work for all fighters, enemies included or just player owned ships?

Make a version that works for all fighters and i'm interested.......blowing up 4 of 7 M3 fighters with less than 5 shots cause they launch missiles at me pisses me off. Those are potentially salvageable craft dammit!

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 30. Oct 09, 17:44

borgrel wrote:Make a version that works for all fighters and i'm interested.......
Then try the OOS combat Rebalance script because for that to work, the ES Scripts need to be overwritten and the OOSR does provide the necessary files.

aceattacker

Post by aceattacker » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 12:41

Considering that you don't get paid for an assassination if the target gets hoist by his own petard, I'd say this is pretty damn useful. Thanks, Gazz.
In between life and death, there is only one dream to care for.
-Actually, I love X3 too much to stop now.

dctrjons
x4

Post by dctrjons » Fri, 9. Jul 10, 02:07

[quote]Note that this is not foolproof. A lucky shot can still detonate a missile even if the warhead isn't armed.
(Firing at warheads is neither safe nor recommended by the manufacturer) [/quote]

So what this is saying is that all this time my in-the-face explosions have 99% been from the missile thinking the bullet traveling by it was target? That must mean there are far more prox-det missiles than I thought.

Was always wondering why missiles were so easy to shoot down. And while during pirate busting it didn't matter where I aimed at the target ship, it's dying missile launch always resulted in self-cremation.

Zaixionito
x4

Post by Zaixionito » Sun, 18. Jul 10, 05:10

dctrjons wrote:
Note that this is not foolproof. A lucky shot can still detonate a missile even if the warhead isn't armed.
(Firing at warheads is neither safe nor recommended by the manufacturer)
So what this is saying is that all this time my in-the-face explosions have 99% been from the missile thinking the bullet traveling by it was target? That must mean there are far more prox-det missiles than I thought.

Was always wondering why missiles were so easy to shoot down. And while during pirate busting it didn't matter where I aimed at the target ship, it's dying missile launch always resulted in self-cremation.
:?

I thought that as in FL, missiles didn't lock onto bullets, but rather bullets aiming for the Player Ship hit the missiles...?

Also, could someone please with a radish on top tell me if this mod effects m6's? Since those are currently my number one "Aaaaarrrrrgggghhh" ships...

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Mon, 27. Sep 10, 08:04

If you use it in conjunction with Gazz's OOS rebalance scripts, it should affect all ships. Otherwise, by itself it only affects the player ship.

This is script is awesome, and has made missile usage much less aggravating. One little niggling issue I still run into a lot with missile combat and NPCs is that there is a big tendency for missiles to take out ships after they have already bailed. This is especially true with scripts like RRF and the OOS Rebalance as you have ships firing missiles from across a sector and taking a few minutes to reach their target.

Would it be possible (or reasonable) to add a self-destruct or disarm for the missile if the target bails en route?

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Mon, 27. Sep 10, 10:57

aka1nas wrote:Would it be possible (or reasonable) to add a self-destruct or disarm for the missile if the target bails en route?
How would the missile know the target bailed, after all it's just a fancy named heatseeker or dumbfire...
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Mon, 27. Sep 10, 18:11

TrixX wrote:
aka1nas wrote:Would it be possible (or reasonable) to add a self-destruct or disarm for the missile if the target bails en route?
How would the missile know the target bailed, after all it's just a fancy named heatseeker or dumbfire...
At least a few of them have rudimentary IFF capability as they can re-target other enemies. They should be able to tell if something changes from enemy to neutral and disable the warhead if so.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 9. Oct 10, 11:42

AFAIK, there is no way to find out a missile's target without checking every single ship and station in the sector and backtrack from there by checking what missiles, if any, are incoming to the object.
There is no way to record that information at launch because missiles can change targets in mid-flight.

I guess you could write some kind of missile defense script that runs on a ship and auto-detonates all missiles that were fired from non-hostile races but that would probably break one helluvalot of missions.
Many missions spawn Neutral.Race ships, only altering their relation to the playership to hostile.
The missiles would not know this so all missiles fired by the player would be detonated because they were fired by a race that is "not hostile" to the target.

Maybe you can find a workaround for this but... good luck.
I prefer to have a script that does only one thing but does it well.

gradea
x3tc

Post by gradea » Wed, 2. Feb 11, 21:33

I'd love to download this mod. I can't, the link just brings up a picture of the download button, but I'd love to download it.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 3. Feb 11, 12:55

Some browsers have problems handling graphical links in this forum.

Use the text link if you can't use the graphical one...

Kvalyr
x4

Post by Kvalyr » Mon, 19. Dec 11, 08:40

Sorry for bumping this old thread but I'd be very interested in using this in AP, though primarily to get around the horribly frustrating experience of enemy fighters consistently detonating themselves in dogfights (and thus denying credit for kills or any chance at salvage).

Assuming that this plugin is AP-compatible; is there any chance that the new OOS code in AP would also mean that this plugin will affect all ships in combat and not just $playership?

Edit:
----
Tried it out - Doesn't appear to be working even for playership in AP. Would love to see an update for this script (especially if such an update would affect enemy ships too..); but I'm willing to take a stab at it myself if there's a lack of time for this plugin.

Coruskane
x4

Post by Coruskane » Mon, 19. Dec 11, 14:47

when you say not working, did you put it in the scripts folder in AP? (Not TC\scripts). I would be interested in this too.

(oh and ofc activate the MSCI)

I can't off the top of my head, immediately think what would be incompatible with this as it doesn't reference any Tships etc or CAT\DAT that may have changed.

Kvalyr
x4

Post by Kvalyr » Mon, 19. Dec 11, 15:28

Sorry, I should've been clearer - It drives me crazy when someone says something's "not working". I was half-asleep when I posted. :P

I placed the plugin scripts into the addon\scripts folder and it shows up under AL fine, but when enabled it doesn't appear to actually work in terms of making missiles safe until they've passed 200m.
For instance, I was able to shoot down my own hurricane missiles as soon as they left the ship.

Edit:
----

It seems I misunderstood how the plugin works! Missiles can still be shot down (as mentioned in the OP :shock: ) but should not detonate when doing so. Shooting down one's own missiles as soon as they've left the ship appears to destroy them 'safely' with or without the plugin, so I'm not sure of the best way to test this.

Edit 2:
----

The plugin disables collision-detection of unarmed missiles and in testing that appears to work fine.

Roughly how many AI scripts would need to be edited/overriden to make the AI missiles affected by this? I'm familiar with scripting, but I have no idea which scripts control AI missile launch behaviour.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 19. Dec 11, 17:00

Zurechial wrote:Roughly how many AI scripts would need to be edited/overriden to make the AI missiles affected by this? I'm familiar with scripting, but I have no idea which scripts control AI missile launch behaviour.
!plugin.acp.fight.attack.object.xml
!fight.attack.object.std.xml
!fight.attack.object.owp.xml

Arguably !plugin.gz.missile.def.mk3.xml because the missile turrets on M8 are still pretty close to the center of the ship.
I would recommend only running it on ships where get size reports < 500.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”