[SCR] Missile Defense Mk2 (v2.28 - 17.12.11)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 29. Apr 09, 18:39

Version 2.03 released.

Slightly improved initialisation on AI ships.

Bugfix for detecting "heavy turrets" in some cases.

Paperwork done in the first post.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Thu, 30. Apr 09, 03:35

Bugfix for detecting "heavy turrets"
Gazz, what does that mean?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 30. Apr 09, 11:12

In short? That you should update the script if you are using it. =P
(only affects player owned M7 and bigger)

Due to the nature and makeup of the script it auto-updates on all ships in the game if you enter another sector.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 1. May 09, 13:28

Version 2.04 released.

Several internal changes and cleanup.
Improved compatibility with MARS and other turret scripts.

Tech Stuff
Scripts can detect if Missile Defense Mk2 is currently active in the game:

Code: Select all

$Dummy1 =  last load time 
$Msl.Def.Mk2 = get global variable: name='GZ.MSL.DEF.MK2' 
skip if $Dummy1 == $Msl.Def.Mk2 
|$Msl.Def.Mk2 = null
This returns an accurate and current value even after setup script has been deleted.

Added for scripters and personal laziness:
plugin.gz.missile.load.auto
This script can be started without any arguments on any turret and then automatically runs with "intelligent defaults", like doing Attack Enemies on PPC turrets but preferring Missile Defense on small laser turrets.

Version 2.08 released.

Fixed possible but once-in-a-billion-rare bug in the self test that verifies a successful installation and can be queried with the code above.
Last edited by Gazz on Wed, 17. Jun 09, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Mon, 1. Jun 09, 03:54

Hi just to confirm, looking at the setup script, this script replaces the default commands to point to your new script, so no new command gets created. Therefore I just use the default "Missile Defence" turrent command and it'll start using the Mk2 scripts right?

Gorium
x3tc

Post by Gorium » Wed, 22. Jul 09, 19:38

Sorry if this would be considered a threat necro, but I found this topic, and was very interested in it... My only issue is about boarding with M7M...

How much harder does it make boarding using pods? Can I still clutter the targetting systems of my enemy with flails to cover the pods plus some drones, or this new script will totally blow the pods out?

Cheers for the script though, makes senses and should make my game more enjoyable.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 22. Jul 09, 19:53

Mk2 is unaffected by nearly all the major problems of the ES Missile Defense.
Missile Defense turrets will be able to... shoot at missiles.
I know that some do not consider that a good thing. *shrug*

Missiles will die. By the dozen, by the hundred.
Shooting at incoming missiles is the whole point of having a missile defense turret script. Or isn't it?

M7M (and M6) can still board ships. It has been done.
It is just no risk-free, guaranteed, and automatic success any more.

vizerei
x3tc

Post by vizerei » Wed, 29. Jul 09, 06:56

Stupid question incomming...

Do I set turret commands to just the normal "Missile Defense"? Or should I see a new Missile Defense Mk2 setting?

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Mon, 24. Aug 09, 14:02

Thankyou for fixing this very, very broken aspect of the game.

Just one question; does this fix the Rate of Fire of 'missile defence' or is that still lower than 'attack enemies'?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 24. Aug 09, 15:26

irR4tiOn4L wrote:Just one question; does this fix the Rate of Fire of 'missile defence' or is that still lower than 'attack enemies'?
It does not because that's not broken.
Slower than possible fire is intentional to not waste too much energy on missiles which can be hit with very few laser bullets anyway.

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Mon, 24. Aug 09, 16:19

Gazz wrote:
irR4tiOn4L wrote:Just one question; does this fix the Rate of Fire of 'missile defence' or is that still lower than 'attack enemies'?
It does not because that's not broken.
Slower than possible fire is intentional to not waste too much energy on missiles which can be hit with very few laser bullets anyway.
I dont see how a reduced Rate of Fire is good at all. First of all, if energy was a concern youd put the turret on 'missiles only'. Second, the very reason you put a turret on 'missile defence' is to swat missiles first then ships, and it cant do that if it fires so slowly it wont kill ships.

If i put the turret on 'attack enemies' then will it effectively swat missiles (take priority over fighters)? From what ive read, no, because it will target enemies FIRST, THEN missiles, except for 'overwhelming threats which isnt always enough

This leaves a large capability gap and i dont think its intended that i constantly switch between 'attack enemies' and 'missile defence' every time a missile is launched because there is no effective command that prioritises missiles BEFORE fighters while still killing the latter.

The game needs a command that kills missiles first and enemies after, without any ROF nonsense, not two half-way-there commands like Egosoft gave us. Prioritising M1/2>M7>M6>M3>M4>M5 would be a bonus.

I commend your effort thus far however

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 24. Aug 09, 16:50

Well, the thing is - this script is more a fix for the vanilla scripts rather than a completely new script.
You can still see the whole original framework if you take a look.

It operates under the exact same rules regarding what it will shoot, how fast, and when.
Except without the bugs (or design decisions if you like...) that would completely lock up the vanilla scripts.
No major change and that's why it works prefectly fine as a global script - for all ships in the game.

It's a simple design (and still pretty stupid) and it will stay that way.

Sure it's possible to halve the wait in the firing loop but that would increase the CPU load for every such script in the sector. Not necessarily a good idea.
If you want more firepower, load a heavier laser. That will fire much closer to it's "ideal" ROF. =)

And there are also other turret scripts. Quite a few actually. Some adjust the ROF in different ways, others don't. Try and see which one you like best.
Every script has it's own set of goals...

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Mon, 24. Aug 09, 18:10

As a script to equip every AI ship in the sector i guess its fine (with or without reduced ROF) but for the player we really need more versatile turret scripts.

Its just not enough when you can order an M3 to attack shields, specific targets or types of ships to be able to tell your turret no more than whether or not it should even bother shooting at a missile before it hits the ship (but let it bludge as a result)

EDIT:
I did notice that you also made MARS. Great effort there, its probably the answer!

Thrandisher
x4

Post by Thrandisher » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 14:20

Ok, i seem to lock up about 1 minute after installing this.
Seems to only happen after i have docked after starting a new game.
Is there a way to get a debug of what this script is doing?

Mars, missle safety, Hkp Missle Barrage. those look like the only ones i know would change something with missles, and since 2 of them are by you, i assume they work together and from what ive read. Other thing could be due to RC2. I lock up100% of the time, but if i remove it im just fine.
The mongrels will never get over THIS wall.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 18:51

I haven't heard about such a thing, yet, wrt to these scripts.

Why it would do that just for you - I dunno.

You could safely delete al.plugin.gz.mars.enemy.mine.xml.
That's the only thing that could possibly "do stuff" on it's own.

But MD Mk2 crashing X3? I don't believe that.

chaosras
x3tc

Post by chaosras » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 23:24

Thrandisher wrote:Ok, i seem to lock up about 1 minute after installing this.
Seems to only happen after i have docked after starting a new game.
Is there a way to get a debug of what this script is doing?

Mars, missle safety, Hkp Missle Barrage. those look like the only ones i know would change something with missles, and since 2 of them are by you, i assume they work together and from what ive read. Other thing could be due to RC2. I lock up100% of the time, but if i remove it im just fine.
Well HKP Missile Barrage is a hotkey triggered script, so unless is locks up after hitting the assigned hotkey, I don't think it can be a cause. I run missile safety and MD MK2 as well with no problems, though I do not run MARS.
Space Cowboy - http://www.myspace.com/hardknight

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be
lost in time, like tears in rain."
- R. Batty

HKP Transponder Interface Software
HKP Enhanced Missile Barrage

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 03:52

MD mk2 is foremost a point defense script. On a M3+ or M6 whose turrets are loaded up with IRE/PAC/PRG/MD, these weapons' short range will by default cause the script to work perfectly..taking out any missles within range, then switching to enemy ships. Sweet and simple. Who needs anything more?

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 10:06

Hieronymos wrote:MD mk2 is foremost a point defense script. On a M3+ or M6 whose turrets are loaded up with IRE/PAC/PRG/MD, these weapons' short range will by default cause the script to work perfectly..taking out any missles within range, then switching to enemy ships. Sweet and simple. Who needs anything more?
It also reduces the Rate of Fire, as the standard missile defence script does, so its by no means 'all anyone needs'.

However, in the same mod Gazz changed the 'Attack Enemies' script to ALSO shoot at missiles, and THAT is by far the most important of the changes

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 6. Oct 09, 09:15

That was merely to fix a stupid exploit where a ship could be destroyed by missiles with impunity as long as the ship was attacked exactly from ahead.

Attack enemies almost always does that. The threshold for also targeting missiles is pretty high.

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Thu, 8. Oct 09, 02:11

Gazz,
is your German better than your English?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”