[SCR] Ring of Fire - Stealth Lasertowers (v2.31 - 29.11.09)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 26. Dec 11, 04:30

I'm not sure that would really be balanced.

In fact, ROF already is overkill in AP because in order to fix the LT apathy in TC, the script adds fire instructions while OOS.

In AP, however, the fire instructions in vanilla do work OOS so the script supercharges all LT by adding additional shots.

Also, LT got a considerable boost in AP.
About 5 regular LT can at least damage an M2!
5 terran LT would have the M2 for lunch.

I worked out the actual balancing on those 2 LT types (minus the laser =) so I can't really blame anyone else.
They were balanced to not require huge numbers to be effective because that's a no-fun material battle.
Huge numbers caused all the problems that made the ROF script necessary...
The RoF script was always just a crutch for a broken implementation.

In AP and In Sector (if you're smart =), you should engage LT with fast and nimble ships, probably M5/M4 with missiles for extra firepower, maybe beefed up with a 2nd wave of M3.
They are superb defensive platforms against heavier ships but (intentionally!) have serious issues with catching scouts.
The terran LT even more so, because for it's lethargic maneuvering it packs some massive firepower - especially against the hull values of capital ships.

It actually adds more options to your fortress building.
LT which are good against heavy ships, covered by a loose minefield, which is going to severely damage the fighters that pose the greatest danger to them - while the LT's shields are near invulnerable to the comparativel small mine damage.
If the fighters only get damaged, that will slow them down and allow the LT to line up...
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

expnobody

Post by expnobody » Mon, 26. Dec 11, 15:18

40 LT guarding a gate and that sector is safe from that gate...almost forever..
summer time..

masskaos
x3tc

Post by masskaos » Thu, 1. Mar 12, 07:51

Gazz wrote:They are supposed to set their race relations based on your global settings.
Gazz,

What I'm observing in AP 2.0 is that uncloaked the LT have my global FOF settings but when set to cloak they turn friendly to everyone. Thus, they never uncloak again even when a whole fleet of unfriendly folk come a knockin.

Uncloaked works fine though. Any chance you taking a look into this?

If so, thanks and if not also thanks for one of my favorite mods.

jiunejai
x4

Post by jiunejai » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 10:21

Hi Gazz, I find a little error within RoF.
It seems upside-down between East and West, then TL will be deployed behind the gate.

Hope a quick fix.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 12:07

In a few sectors, the gates don't follow the "old" positioning that was used when this universe was created.
The script is too stupid to deal with that. It was my first released script ever and several items were incredibly uhh... ham-fisted. =P

You can probably deploy the ring manually. I don't know off hand how large the snap-to distance is.

For OOS use, placing the LT at the gate is a bad idea, anyway.

@masskaos

It's been ages but I'm pretty sure that the LT don't matter at all. They check if passing ships are hostile when seen from your playership.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

masskaos
x3tc

Post by masskaos » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 03:05

Gazz wrote: It's been ages but I'm pretty sure that the LT don't matter at all. They check if passing ships are hostile when seen from your playership.
Well something is amiss. I'm enemy #1 to the Terrans and I have a ROF in the Jupiter sector. If I set cloak to on, then the LT never uncloak with doezens of ships in range. Uncloak and they tear the place up :)

I'm running several other scripts. One of them might be interferring with ROF. I'll try a vanilla install and just add ROF. That might shed some light on this.

Thank you.

FunkySwerve

Post by FunkySwerve » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 20:51

Gazz wrote: For OOS use, placing the LT at the gate is a bad idea, anyway.
Newbie here - same one you helped in the MARS thread - thanks again for that. I've been doing a lot of reading up on these forums and various wikis, and I'm left a little confused about where to place my rings of fire for OOS protection.

I've read that the the typical OOS jump in is about 7 km from the gate, and the 'Final Word' thread lists jump-in spots for gates based on accumulated averages, suggesting it isn't always the same.

I've also read that - at least at one time - that the detection range of a LT was only 1k, but I've also seen that RoF increases that, and that it was increased when LT OOS improvements were made in AP.

I also understand that this script is a bit overkill now, but I'm ok with that for now at least - it'll allow me to sandbox more with the rest of the game for a bit.

My questions are:
1) What is the current range of detection for the purposes of hostile fire (as opposed to decloaking) of a LT running RoF in AP, with no other custom scripts installed (other than your MARS script)? I read 6600m somewhere, is that still the case?

2) Based on that, where is the most effective place to put the ring for OOS? I assume it should be on the same axis as the gate it's protecting, but how far out?

3) How effective will such rings be if you happen to be IS when enemies appear? If I place them 7k out based on that one estimate, and the detection range is only 6.6k, that seems like a problem.

Thanks,
Funky

p00fer
x4

Post by p00fer » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 21:04

put 360 in a spiral??? that shld take the problem out? anyway...you could place and ADsat a few kms in front of the gate and place your ring parallel to the gate around the sat... problem solved., my ROF's have worked great in OOS, gate posititioned and in TC.
-Aye, fly into sun!

AlbinoNoodle

Post by AlbinoNoodle » Wed, 11. Apr 12, 00:03

Hi all,

anyone able to confirm this works for ap 2.0?

many thanks.

FunkySwerve

Post by FunkySwerve » Wed, 11. Apr 12, 04:48

p00fer wrote:put 360 in a spiral??? that shld take the problem out? anyway...you could place and ADsat a few kms in front of the gate and place your ring parallel to the gate around the sat... problem solved., my ROF's have worked great in OOS, gate posititioned and in TC.
I only want to use 20-40 per gate, as I've seen posts indicating issues with the stealthed towers. This does not solve my problem, or answer my question.

Funky

AlbinoNoodle

Post by AlbinoNoodle » Wed, 11. Apr 12, 20:49

looks pretty sweet,

anyone able to confirm this still works with ap 2.0?

many thanks

Edit<
sorry didn't mean to ask twice, forgot I had asked in the first place.
Last edited by AlbinoNoodle on Fri, 13. Apr 12, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

FunkySwerve

Post by FunkySwerve » Thu, 12. Apr 12, 08:49

I can confirm it works in AP 2.0, though I haven't used the stealth towers.

Funky

p00fer
x4

Post by p00fer » Fri, 20. Apr 12, 02:30

just would like to post that there seems to be a naming error when deploying in a 3 gate sector, i deployed a RoF in the East gate of x598, it named them as West..not a gamebreaking thing by far but worth mentioning imo...
TC btw
-Aye, fly into sun!

bluenog143
x3tc

Post by bluenog143 » Fri, 20. Apr 12, 20:35

Thanks Gazz this will come in great handy!
SinisterDeath wrote:This reminds me of something...

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."
Dark_Ansem wrote:Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Chemical-mix
x3tc

Post by Chemical-mix » Sat, 28. Apr 12, 23:53

Hi Gazz,

I've been a big fan of this script in X3TC, but i cannot seem to get it to work in AP. I've double-checked that everything is where it should be in the directory, and that the freighters have transporter devices and LTs, of course, but there is no order to deploy them like in TC.

I've got the AP bonus pack, Cycrow's cheat package and Apricot's c-beam installed.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?
"I came, I saw, I crumbled"

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Fri, 11. May 12, 08:24

Chemical-mix wrote: but i cannot seem to get it to work in AP. I've double-checked that everything is where it should be in the directory, and that the freighters have transporter devices and LTs, of course, but there is no order to deploy them like in TC.
I got the command working just fine in AP, but I am getting an issue with stealth mode now. LTs refuse to uncloak when some ATF ships are in range and I have ATF set to foe.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 11. May 12, 08:40

Chemical-mix wrote:i cannot seem to get it to work in AP. I've double-checked that everything is where it should be in the directory
Have you unpacked it into the addon\scripts folder?

kurush wrote:I got the command working just fine in AP, but I am getting an issue with stealth mode now. LTs refuse to uncloak when some ATF ships are in range and I have ATF set to foe.
It might be related to some weird "aggro" issues in AP. I noticed that ships sometimes (?) refused to reset their relations when the scripted order came.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Fri, 11. May 12, 20:52

I saw some nice debug output in some of the ROF scripts, how do I enable it? Also, is there a way to uncloak everything by any chance? I essentially just lost 100 LTs in the war zone
Last edited by kurush on Thu, 17. May 12, 21:39, edited 2 times in total.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Fri, 11. May 12, 20:58

p00fer wrote:just would like to post that there seems to be a naming error when deploying in a 3 gate sector, i deployed a RoF in the East gate of x598, it named them as West..not a gamebreaking thing by far but worth mentioning imo...
TC btw
I'm experiencing this in XTC. Putting down a ring of fire around west gates are getting me east lasertowers, along with their position being a fair bit behind the gate (x axis) instead of equal with it or slightly in front of it.

This causes them to not hit anything except the gate, when I'm IS.. at least until the enemy gets out a km or two. :?

Thanks for the script btw. It's awsome! :)

@kurush & anyone who needs questions about it answered: Enter ?'s in all fields when you run it. It gives you the instructions in-game.
Editing posts since long before I remember.

General_Failure
x3

Post by General_Failure » Mon, 14. May 12, 13:00

Actually in the same boat, can't seem to get it to show up in the menus, I know it's in the right folders, so I'm guessing there is a mod conflict.

Here is the list of mods I'm currently using.

Link for pic

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”