[Index] Tutorials and Resources

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 17:33

Hi Observe,

Do let Doubleshadow know we greatly appreciate his efforts. The X3 Editor has proved an invaluable tool for, well, pretty much anyone who likes to tinker with their game to get it working just how they want.

I'm itching to apply my own personal tweaks to adjust the likes of bullet speed & shot damage, just like I did in both X2: The Threat and X3: Reunion. Doubleshadow's editor proved invaluable then and doubtless will in the future.

Cheers,

Scoob.

sc_hornetAMF
x3

Post by sc_hornetAMF » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 20:29

So wait.

I have created a new jobs file for x3tc, can i just leave the filename as jobs.txt as we used to be able to, or is it now just jobs (as it was in the unpacked from cat/dat .pck file) or do we have to have a jobs.pck file in /types for it to take effect?

How do I create a pck file sorry? I opened mine with winrar.
Ho Hum

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 23:10

The ModManager for X3 will still compress the txt, and it will work.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 23:13

the reason it doesn't have an extension when you extract it is because the mod manager is getting confused over the format.

basically in TC, the files are just packed and not encrypted like in previous games. The mod manager however doesn't recognise the files as packed because they arn't encrypted as well

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 13:16

I am so confused.

I used the script engine way back in x3r but forgotten it all. And frankly this forum is unavigable.

An example of the complete mess this forum is in that one sticky says "Read The Activating The X3 Script Editor Stickie for more help"

There is no such sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

There are two stickies that seem to do the same thing.

Do I need to activate Thereshallbewings in order to use a script or plugin?

What is the difference between a script and a plugin?

By activating Thereshallbewings will I get a watermark on screen saying *MODIFIED* ?

Does the plugin manager avoid the above? (i.e. I do not want the MODIFIED on screen because it looks crap.
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 13:23

Activating scripts is exactly the same as it was in X3:R. The first post in this sticky explains exactly how to do it.

you will get a modified tag in your game, but it appears at the bottom of your pilot status.

there hasn't been a watermark on screen since X2, and that was even removed by a mod.

a script and plugin are the same, just different names for them. Althou plugins can also cover other additionals, scripts, mods, ships, missions, etc.

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 13:44

Cycrow wrote:Activating scripts is exactly the same as it was in X3:R. The first post in this sticky explains exactly how to do it.

you will get a modified tag in your game, but it appears at the bottom of your pilot status.

there hasn't been a watermark on screen since X2, and that was even removed by a mod.

:oops: Show how long ago I tried it then!! :wink:

a script and plugin are the same, just different names for them. Althou plugins can also cover other additionals, scripts, mods, ships, missions, etc.
Thanks v much Cycrow for the very prompt and comprehensive answers :D

:thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up:

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 16:07

Cycrow, you talk about porting X3R scripts over to X3TC. You said to change 2 version number? I don't understand that. Do you mean where it says Engine version change it to 40? Are there 2 places to change or just one?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 16:18

yes thats right, the 2nd place is in the code array, near the beginning of the code array just after the script name. u should be able to recognise it if ur looking in the right place.

the codearray is the most important one as thats the one the game uses to load.

but remember once you get it loaded into TC, theres most likly changes to be made. If the script uses any shiptypes/station types, wares, etc. They will need to be changed as they will be pointing to the wrong wares as the types files have changed.

also, some of the existing commands have been change or fixed so they might do things ur scripts are not expecting

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 16:30

Yeah I wanted to edit the STO takeover script I have to work with my X3TC, I don't think it changes any types files or wares files. It does point to the trade station for seeing what takes over a sector, does that need to be changed you mean?

I wanted to see about getting the Terracorp fleet package to work in my game but that might require a lot of editing types, etc.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 16:42

Now that I look at it, there might be more to it than I thought. So if it points to any types/wares then all of that has to be changed as every wares/ship etc in the types files have been changed?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 17:27

BlackRain wrote:Yeah I wanted to edit the STO takeover script I have to work with my X3TC, I don't think it changes any types files or wares files. It does point to the trade station for seeing what takes over a sector, does that need to be changed you mean?

I wanted to see about getting the Terracorp fleet package to work in my game but that might require a lot of editing types, etc.
yes, any reference to types have to be changed.

the way scripts work, is that they point to the ids of the type. Ie, if its a ship, it will save the id for that ship {7,0} for mamoth, etc.

but then if you change the types file, so the first enter is the nova instead of a mamoth, then when you go back to your script, it will now be using the nova not the mamoth.

as things have all moved around in TC, they will no longer be refering to the correct types. Every reference to any object type will potentional be wrong in old scripts

pixel
x3tc

How to use mods? Command Console? **fixed, thanks guys!**

Post by pixel » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 20:14

OK I feel like an idiot since clearly it is so obvious

I have typed in my new pilot name Thereshallbewings.

The game paused and then continued. My pilot name had not changed

Nowhere can I find any script editor commands in the game.

I also downloaded the no civilians mod.

I created a folder called 'mods' in the X3TC folder in steam and unzipped into it, no 'mods' option appears on the opening screen

I also then tried creating a mods folder in the X3TC folder in my documnets, also no effect

wtf am I doing wroing????????
Last edited by pixel on Wed, 22. Oct 08, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

B_O_L_T
x4

Post by B_O_L_T » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 20:21

You need to bind a key to open the script editor, I am sure it used to be bound to s but that may be what I set it to. The option to select mods is not inside the game itself but through the launcher, 4th option from the top "select mod package".

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 20:28

u can also open the script editor from the global commands menu from the sidebar

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 20:37

bbut that is what I am saying no mod package option has appeared in the opening menu???

thanks re script editor

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 20:43

oops ignore me guys,seems to work :)

:oops: :D

Ilintar
x3tc

Getting inside DAT files

Post by Ilintar » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 04:55

Maybe it's a stupid question, but I haven't found it answered directly in any of the FAQs around here (if it has, please just point me to it). How do you get inside the .dat files of X3TC? I'd like to try out the Mission Director, but for that I need at least the XML schema...

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 05:15

You'll find the Mission Director files scattered in the various .dat files. Use Doubleshadow Mod Manager for extraction. Keep in mind that since TC compatible Mod Manager has not yet been released, you'll need to decompress any mission .xml files that you may want to look at for reference with WinRar or similar, and then simply add the .xml extension. In the case of the schema files you won't need to perform decompression or change extension.
Last edited by Observe on Thu, 23. Oct 08, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 07:39

Unpacking is described on the first page of the "Tutorials and Resources" thread, not just in the first post.

Being not quite there yet, and only in need of reading the stock scripts, I did:

Code: Select all

# for F in scripts/*.pck
do cat $F | gunzip > open/${F/.pck/.xml}
done
# cp scripts/*.x* open/scripts/
It is good to have MSYS. :D
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”