[Index] Tutorials and Resources

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 15:12

It seems we have lost DoubleShadow :-( His contributions to the X modding community will be missed.

And, yes, Observe, please coordinate a release of the latest X3E. Even if it's not entirely up-to-date someone may be able to finalize it for X3TC.

Although not the right place to discuss this any further, I do not fully understand your final remark, Observe. How can you come to that conclusion without having played X3TC?

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 15:16

euclid wrote:Although not the right place to discuss this any further, I do not fully understand your final remark, Observe. How can you come to that conclusion without having played X3TC?
As I mentioned: "For a variety of reasons". Nevertheless, I've deleted my sour grapes remarks for possible placement elsewhere at another time.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 15:53

Getting to the files is easy enough, trying to decipher them is something a little more challenging.

I'm trying to work out the ship stats at the moment. Found/figured out a couple.

I also removed that damn fog too. Never liked it, so it was the first thing to go.

Trying to look at the X3 mod for the fog/draw distance to re-acuqint myself with what does what.

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 20:40

Too bad doubly shadow has stopped.
I gueus this means that there will be far less mods for TC then there where for X3 since the egosoft tools are ancient and still dos based :shock:
So hopefully egosoft will update them to enter the 21 century :P

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 23:06

Well clearly ES has updated tools, and it would be nice/fair if they made those available to the rest of us so we are at least on an equal footing with those members of mod teams who participated in TC development.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 23:09

Observe wrote:Well clearly ES has updated tools, and it would be nice/fair if they made those available to the rest of us so we are at least on an equal footing with those members of mod teams who participated in TC development.
if u extract the files u'll notice the types files were actually created with Doubleshadows editors ;)

so if/when he releases those, u will have the same tools that ES do

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 23:11

Cycrow wrote: if u extract the files u'll notice the types files were actually created with Doubleshadows editors ;)
Ha!

s9ilent
x4

Post by s9ilent » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 02:22

Hrm... No more X3 Editor hey... This could complicate things.

Who wants to make an excel based editor with me? (I love my excel and VBA, mostly as I can't actually code in anything but X3R and Excel)

Although, I'm hard pressed for time right now so... yep (Plus, I would like to play some too :P)

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 04:12

I'm trying to get what's what in the files, as far as stats go.

For instance, what the values of teh various ships are in Tships, shield, hull, speed, etc and where they're located in the file.

It's a pain in the ass.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 04:48

fud wrote:I'm trying to get what's what in the files, as far as stats go.

For instance, what the values of teh various ships are in Tships, shield, hull, speed, etc and where they're located in the file.

It's a pain in the ass.
Might not be worth the effort considering DS Editor will be available soon.

MarcusX3
x4

Post by MarcusX3 » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 10:25

Id say just wait till the tools are officailly realeased since we know they work and they used the new version of x3editor, also i should point out since egoosft did mention they intend to support the mod comunity id take them at face value. they dont wasnt to piss off people who supported them for years :)

as far as others theres no reason to belive you cant go fiddiling the files yourself, its reasonable to assume you will anyways even if people say you shouldnt, natrally people are curious creatures, forbiding them is like saying don't eat the cookies johnny... hes gona do it anyways because you said not too.

since ego used x3editor in tc id have to say they either have the source code or have adapted to thier own needs this would account for the code number changes, while doubleshadow may be under a nondisclosure agreement, this may be why he dont want to be associated, it may violate some agreemnet, undertandable if hes not then.

i still belive waiting is best, but i know you guys, hahah your gona eat the "cookies" anyways..

cheers..
'Endless money forms the sinews of war' cicero

Nutsman
x4

Post by Nutsman » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 13:21

Observe wrote: Might not be worth the effort considering DS Editor will be available soon.
Ahhh thats are good news.... but when there also a Editor for TC exist,
why DoubleShadow do not release it ?!? Or Ego has bought / get
the source code from him and greate a new version ?
So we have to ask Egosoft to release it :o

@Observe how we can survive the waiting :?:

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 14:26

Nutsman wrote:.... but when there also a Editor for TC exist, why DoubleShadow do not release it ?!?
DS was not aware that TC had been released yet since he is no longer following X games
Nutsman wrote:...So we have to ask Egosoft to release it
Doubleshadow said he would make public release
Nutsman wrote:@Observe how we can survive the waiting :?:
Be patient. Let's see what transpires during coming days. :)
Last edited by Observe on Tue, 21. Oct 08, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 14:44

Observe wrote:
fud wrote:I'm trying to get what's what in the files, as far as stats go.

It's a pain in the ass.
Might not be worth the effort considering DS Editor will be available soon.

That's all I needed to see! :)

Long time no talk Ob.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 15:21

fud wrote:Long time no talk Ob.
Hi fud. Good to see you around. Best place to catch me is on x3dmod forum. :)

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 17:33

Hi Observe,

Do let Doubleshadow know we greatly appreciate his efforts. The X3 Editor has proved an invaluable tool for, well, pretty much anyone who likes to tinker with their game to get it working just how they want.

I'm itching to apply my own personal tweaks to adjust the likes of bullet speed & shot damage, just like I did in both X2: The Threat and X3: Reunion. Doubleshadow's editor proved invaluable then and doubtless will in the future.

Cheers,

Scoob.

sc_hornetAMF
x3

Post by sc_hornetAMF » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 20:29

So wait.

I have created a new jobs file for x3tc, can i just leave the filename as jobs.txt as we used to be able to, or is it now just jobs (as it was in the unpacked from cat/dat .pck file) or do we have to have a jobs.pck file in /types for it to take effect?

How do I create a pck file sorry? I opened mine with winrar.
Ho Hum

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 23:10

The ModManager for X3 will still compress the txt, and it will work.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 23:13

the reason it doesn't have an extension when you extract it is because the mod manager is getting confused over the format.

basically in TC, the files are just packed and not encrypted like in previous games. The mod manager however doesn't recognise the files as packed because they arn't encrypted as well

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 13:16

I am so confused.

I used the script engine way back in x3r but forgotten it all. And frankly this forum is unavigable.

An example of the complete mess this forum is in that one sticky says "Read The Activating The X3 Script Editor Stickie for more help"

There is no such sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

There are two stickies that seem to do the same thing.

Do I need to activate Thereshallbewings in order to use a script or plugin?

What is the difference between a script and a plugin?

By activating Thereshallbewings will I get a watermark on screen saying *MODIFIED* ?

Does the plugin manager avoid the above? (i.e. I do not want the MODIFIED on screen because it looks crap.
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”