Albion Prelude freezing/crashing every few minutes.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Musicker
x3tc

Albion Prelude freezing/crashing every few minutes.

Post by Musicker » Fri, 10. Mar 23, 19:20

Hey there folks,

I looked first, and didn't see anything related to this particular issue, at least in the recent weeks.

I have a very new, modern computer.
i9-12900K 8P/16 + 8E 3.20GHz
2TB Seagate® FireCuda® 530 Heatsink (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6900 MB/s
64GB (32GBx2) DDR5/5600MHz Dual Channel Memory
GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X

I'm thinking maybe it's TOO new and updated maybe..

The problem is as follows:

I have been playing Albion Prelude, with only the Apricot Mapping Service 1.3 mod installed. No other changes.
It has been freezing once in a great while, during this entire playthrough, but once in a few hours I am okay with... it's only after I got to the point in the main plot-line where my character got pissed at the ambassadors, and said she was going to go save the universe herself (I did the Bankrupt Assassin gamestart) that my game started freezing like every 2 or 3 minutes.

Now I can't even play, because as soon as I leave the station and basically do anything, 2 or 3 minutes after I leave the station, the game freezes hard. Nothing fixes it.. can't shift-tab, that does nothing. I can ctrl-alt-del and sign out. That's my only option basically.

I'm a computer support tech since about 1990, so I know pretty much all the tricks for getting around freezes like this. Nothing works. I can't get to the task manager, I can't get to the desktop, nothing, when it freezes. The only thing I can do is sign out of Windows, and then start the game again once I sign back in.

I'd love to hear if anyone has been able to fix this, because I am completely unable to continue my playthrough at this point.

thanks all,

Eric

Gah - just noticed my signature still has my previous gaming rig. I'll update that now.. sheesh.
i9-12900K 8P/16 + 8E 3.20GHz
2TB Seagate® FireCuda® 530 Heatsink (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6900 MB/s
64GB (32GBx2) DDR5/5600MHz Dual Channel Memory
GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Albion Prelude freezing/crashing every few minutes.

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 10. Mar 23, 22:31

Could you link a recent DxDiag please so that we can check drivers and codecs, etc?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: Albion Prelude freezing/crashing every few minutes.

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 11. Mar 23, 19:53

Is either of your ships running a manual trade command? If so, try cancelling their command, and see if the freeze still happens.

You also mentioned running a mod. Depending on what the mod does, this could also be a side effect of said mod. For example if it adds scripts (e.g. new ship commands), those scripts could run into unforseen or unexpected states causing an endless loop or passing invalid arguments to script commands. Difficult to debug, but similar to the manual trade command suggestion above, you could test whether disabling global commands or stopping mod specific ship/station commands changes something. You could also search through the mod thread to see if there are similar reports about game freezes.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”