X3 on Steam wont launch

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Stuo5353

X3 on Steam wont launch

Post by Stuo5353 » Mon, 20. Jun 22, 15:23

My Steam version of X3:Reunion won't launch! When I click on PLAY it goes through the normal "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" etc. I click ok and it cycles through but then stops and the "PLAY" button on steam returns to green again! I have ensured that the program is cleared through the firewall and anti virus, I have tried all of the compatibility options and starting it as administrator, but nothing works .... I am running windows 10 updated to the latest version. Any help suggestions would be appreciated. Steam as usual dont want to know or offer any help!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3 on Steam wont launch

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 20. Jun 22, 16:19

Hello. Have you verified your Steam X3:R game installation? Is your game modded? Have you tried disabling any game overlays while playing?

If those are not issues then it might be worth a *clean* X3:R uninstall, manual Steam *X3:R* gamefolder (only!) wipe, and then reinstall so that Steam goes through all the steps of setting up the game and the DirectX and other supporting files, libraries, and apps again.

If even that doesn't help then please post links to a newly run DxDiag (so that we can see your drivers, codec state and Windows Errors) and post the text of any other error messages that you might get when trying to play. Thanks.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Stuo5353

Post by Stuo5353 » Mon, 20. Jun 22, 17:52

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 20. Jun 22, 16:19
Hello. Have you verified your Steam X3:R game installation? Is your game modded? Have you tried disabling any game overlays while playing?

If those are not issues then it might be worth a *clean* X3:R uninstall, manual Steam *X3:R* gamefolder (only!) wipe, and then reinstall so that Steam goes through all the steps of setting up the game and the DirectX and other supporting files, libraries, and apps again.

If even that doesn't help then please post links to a newly run DxDiag (so that we can see your drivers, codec state and Windows Errors) and post the text of any other error messages that you might get when trying to play. Thanks.
ok thx for response ..... I have verified all the steam game installation - all ok, no mods, game overlays? - what are they??? I did try a wipe uninstall and reinstall etc no difference. I have just run DXdiag, please advise how to post link to file.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 20. Jun 22, 19:27

Just upload it to a reputable (no malware, advertising spam, artificially slow transfers or unnecessary registrations to download) public fileshare site (eg dropbox, googledrive, and others) and post a public sharing link to it here. Obviously you can use your new registered fileshare account for other file transfer purposes too.

Stuo5353

Post by Stuo5353 » Tue, 21. Jun 22, 07:54

Hi thnks again,
link on GoogleDrive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K7Ny0A ... sp=sharing

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 21. Jun 22, 11:50

Thanks, the DxDiag isn't too bad at all; no sinister codecs and the device drivers are fairly recent. I don't think these are really relevant to your issue but you do have a very old BIOS (only mess with BIOS if you really know what you are doing or are using your system's dedicated Support Tools !!!) and you have a generic Microsoft sound driver for your Realtek onboard sound chipset (you can get Realtek HD Audio Codec R2.82 from the Realtek driver update site or from Windows device driver support).

Game overlays are game management apps that usually come with your graphics card suite or system software and are intended to set up individual games with different 'optimised' system settings - the problem with them is that they may sometimes cause more issues than they may solve, especially with obsolescent games. Steam has one, Nvidia has one, AMD has one, ASUS has one, etc.

The only X3:R crash in your Windows Error Reporting is a generic AppCrash report that doesn't really throw any light on what went wrong.

I don't really know what else to suggest as you say that you have tried the compatibility options.

Stuo5353

Post by Stuo5353 » Wed, 22. Jun 22, 07:38

Oh ok, well I guess that I will just have to go through everything once more and if I cant get it going I will just have to give up on it!,

Anyway thank you for your help it was appreciated.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”