Error Loading SystemBase - Resolved by removing mod remnants.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

ZosX
x3ap

Error Loading SystemBase - Resolved by removing mod remnants.

Post by ZosX » Mon, 2. May 22, 23:07

I'm running Windows 11. I can't seem to get AP to load but TC does ok. I have the steam version. I copied over the no steam executable Egosoft provides and nothing. It refuses to load and gives the message in the subject. Tried compatibility mode, disabling full screen optimizations, and made sure I had the library X3 requires installed. Dxdiag loads and doesn't show any problems. I haven't tried playing for a while and it all worked just fine on the same machine with the same drivers in Windows 10. Weird that TC loads just fine. I can't imagine the codebase between the two being all that different. I could try the GOG version, but I really just want to try the new Farnham's Legacy and the idea of having to pirate a game I've actually bought just to play it is somewhat frustrating because I'm certainly not buying it again just to get a version that works.

Anyone else run into this?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Error Loading SystemBase

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 3. May 22, 10:52

First of all GOG does not supply pirate versions but is fully supported by Egosoft. The change to Win11 from Win10 *should* not affect game installation and loading.

X3:AP installation adds a an additional folder 'addon' into the X3:TC Steam game folder. Normally when the sort of issues you are having occur, it is because the addon folder has been directed to the wrong place.

Verifying your Steam game installations for X3:TC and X3:AP separately *should* solve all your problems with X3:AP. Then X3:FL can be installed and, if necessary, verified.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ZosX
x3ap

Post by ZosX » Tue, 3. May 22, 11:52

Oh I've verified it already and it comes up correct. That was the first thing I tried. Tried moving the installation directory. Nada. This isn't my first rodeo getting games to work. Yeah Windows 11 has broken some things, though I'm not sure that is the case here. I think I'm actually getting better compatibility overall with older games than with 10 oddly. Fallout 3 no longer crashes when I alt-tab out for instance.

Yeah, I get that its trying to load the data files and can't. I figured that out already. It does give a crash log at least to pick through. I just don't know how its possible to rectify this situation and I spent probably 3-4 hours the other day trying.

ZosX
x3ap

Post by ZosX » Tue, 3. May 22, 13:09

OK I'm an idiot as usual haha.

A while back I tried to recreate the mod soup I had going on so I could restore my 300+ hour save game and I ended up with that error somehow. I gave up and figured I'd restore it all sometime later. I didn't have much really installed, but I did have all the TC plots and patches and I remember they were fun to put all together because I'm pretty sure that was spread across one large thread. I need to try that again. I had an absolutely ridiculous fleet of over 400 ships. I was just about to finally complete the Hub plot too! argh!

So when this came up again, I just tried uninstalling from steam and reinstalling again. I forgot about all the extra crud that steam left in the original folder. I went through and wiped everything I added and verified again and it works just fine. I usually make a backup copy of the folder before I start modding so I'll do that again.

By the way I think that TC gets installed with AP no matter what because I have just AP installed at the moment and both are playable. And that would make sense since AP is really just an addon for TC at the end of the day anyway. I think that's how the steam release has always been since weren't they pretty much always sold as a bundle?

edit: Honestly, in all my decades of gaming I was a little shocked at how much time I've spent in X3. I don't even have that much time in Oblivion or Morrowind. There's just something about it that makes me want to keep playing. I just wish it didn't crash randomly in battles. I never could figure out why it was doing that on my machine but I did replicate it in vanilla.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”