Stuttering after change of GPU

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Brinnie
x3tc

Stuttering after change of GPU

Post by Brinnie » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 20:06

Hi all

I have replaced my graphic card (ATI 6950) for a newer one (nvidia GTX 1660 super) and I find a problem with stuttering while flying in sectors with no much going on, I have started a new game so I no mods running. If I tick the option "Ignore last settings and start with default" from the game launcher I get better frames and It seems the stuttering goes away or it is at least less noticeable.

The thing is that the default setting doesn't choose borderless or windowed mode and I really like to be able to alt tab out of the game. It might be worth mentioning that the setting for my previous playthroughs
where still present on my pc although I did a new install.

I would appreciate some input on solving this issue or even if someone could tell me how to start the game with "Ignore last settings and start with default" while still being able to play in borderless mode.

Thanks

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Stuttering after change of GPU

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 22:36

Well once you have started with defaults then you can change whatever settings you wish and they should stay in your custom profile for the game. You shouldn't have to use start with defaults *every* time you play.

Note that I am talking above about in-game settings. If you force your graphics card to do things that are not in or as the in-game settings, then that is between you and your graphics card's control panel (and/or any third party game profiling tool that you might use for X games). The same would apply if you are somehow forcing OS settings as overriding defaults.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Brinnie
x3tc

Re: Stuttering after change of GPU

Post by Brinnie » Sat, 28. Nov 20, 11:45

Hi Alan.

Ticking the option "Ignore last settings and start with default" was a quick fix to the problem I have come across now but by trial after trial with different options selected, I think that the problem is caused by the windowed/borderless selection. Leaving everything set on maximum will not have an impact on the fps, which remain on 60 but if I take off fullscreen they drop and in comes the stuttering, even with everything on low.

The CPU and the GPU aren't really stressed out much, after all I am testing fps on a new game with no scripts and with a Buster taking off from a station in a quiet sector. I say that because in my search on the net I came across to many solutions regarding optimizing one or both which proved a waste of time for me.

In my humble opinion it is something to do with vsync and window/borderless mode, the easy way out would be to run the game in fullscreen but I have got too used running in and out to the desktop. When I last played AP (altogether I've clocked nearly a 1000hrs) I used this viewtopic.php?t=329229 and I don't recall having this problem, although I was running with a considerably weaker GPU, but It seems it doesn't work anymore.

I will look for an AHK script which I have seen on these forum which, if I am not mistaken, claims to implement a full borderless windowed mode.

thanks.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Sat, 28. Nov 20, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improved line break formatting.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”