Thrustmaster with TARGET issues. (Info update 31/10/20)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Automaton539

Thrustmaster with TARGET issues. (Info update 31/10/20)

Post by Automaton539 » Sat, 31. Oct 20, 04:58

Hi,

So, I'm kinda new to the X series, and I'm having an issue with my thrustmaster. As I'm sure you guys are aware, X, or in this case, specifically X3, won't recognise more than one USB input at a time, so as I'm using the TWCS Throttle and T.16000M Joystick I can use my throttle or my joystick, just not both. However, I'm trying to use T.A.R.G.E.T. to get it to recognise it as one unit. The problem I'm having though is that as soon as TARGET runs the Virtual Game Controller, windows no longer recognises my joystick, only the throttle. Light goes out and no input is detected in the joystick at all.

Help?

New info 31/10/20
So, turns out that if I uninstall the joystick and plug it back in (with game closed) then even when I run target it works fine as it's supposed to, but as soon as I open X3 the joystick stops working. Or if I open X3, close it, then run the script, it won't work. So it's definitely X3 that's causing the issue. Am I screwed for hotas control and should just go use a controller / mouse and keys? Or can anyone out there help?
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Sat, 31. Oct 20, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improved title issue description

Komatanz
x4

Re: Thrustmaster with TARGET issues. (Info update 31/10/20)

Post by Komatanz » Tue, 27. Apr 21, 16:11

Automaton539 wrote:
Sat, 31. Oct 20, 04:58
Hi,

So, I'm kinda new to the X series, and I'm having an issue with my thrustmaster. As I'm sure you guys are aware, X, or in this case, specifically X3, won't recognise more than one USB input at a time, so as I'm using the TWCS Throttle and T.16000M Joystick I can use my throttle or my joystick, just not both. However, I'm trying to use T.A.R.G.E.T. to get it to recognise it as one unit. The problem I'm having though is that as soon as TARGET runs the Virtual Game Controller, windows no longer recognises my joystick, only the throttle. Light goes out and no input is detected in the joystick at all.

Help?

New info 31/10/20
So, turns out that if I uninstall the joystick and plug it back in (with game closed) then even when I run target it works fine as it's supposed to, but as soon as I open X3 the joystick stops working. Or if I open X3, close it, then run the script, it won't work. So it's definitely X3 that's causing the issue. Am I screwed for hotas control and should just go use a controller / mouse and keys? Or can anyone out there help?
Heij. Sorry to necromance your thread... Sorry if I cant give you the correct English names, as I'm playing the game in German.
But, maybe you wanna try, even after several month passed by.
Assuming you did set up your devices correctly via target software.

First and foremost:
I did run a profile before starting AP and stopped it, due to a small reconfiguration, and got it running again, all the while the game was minimized but running. It *did* recognize input from both sticks (via target-software), I checked it by assigning the same movement to both sticks.
Assuming on first startup both devices did work ingame, and stopped doing so after restarting the profile, you might check again on how you did configure your profile with your hotas-system. For I seem to be able to turn off a profile, do sth ingame with mouse+keyboard and then turning the target-profile on again without restarting X3AP.
When you checked the input device on the game's "launcher"-thingy, taht *should* be fine with you.

Now, if that's done, the fun is just about the begin, as I'm using a dual stick setup. But maybe those experiences may help you as well.

Anyway - you might need to test where AP puts which movement and how the controls screen does name that movement.
This I did by emptying the control schemes (options > controls > the tab beside "profile" should be called like "controls" or sth.) in game for the joystick part in "cockpit controls" - And then testing what every single of the selectable entries actually does by assigning each one after another to the X-axis of my right stick. And finally reassigning the certain movement which I want to have on the specific axis.
For example I stuck the first line of "Joystick 1- x-axis" to "Turning the ship left/right".
So far so easy.

This was where the *really* confusing parts began:
- Rolling the ship *should* go a on the right-hand-joystick's z-axis. which is NOT called "rudder/z_axis" ingame.
- Also throttle up/down is not easily assigned to the hardware throttle on the sticks. Instead I tried to get the thottle up/down on to the z-axis of the left-hand-joystick.

Which lead me to the following situation:
- In the cockpit control scheme the last line is called "throttle control" or sth. - THAT one got the ship rolling for me (with is hardware-ish the right-hand-joystick's z-axis (rotating the stick, without bending it forward or sideways), while...
- the ingame called "rudder/z-axis" seem to be actually my left-hand-stick's Z-axis, on which I now have the throttle set up
(in target-software they might be called "dx_z_axis" or sth like that, in comparison to the "dx_zROT_axis" -- might be a bit different for you with a hotas, but the essence should be same/similar.)

By now, I was opening the joystick control panel from the still running script (according to the button there), checking the properties of the "thrustmaster virtual game controller" the testing window gives out the now rather expected information: right hand rotation equals z-axis and left hand rotation equals z-rotation.

So, the main difficulty occurs on "translating" what input is which movement (called) in X3AP and getting that movement set on the device as wished.
Unfortunately X3AP still has the rather .... narrow ingame configuration as you cant insert axis movement to the crontrols screen, comparing to X:Rebirth, for example, where I didnt even need to hassle with the target software - although it was a bit confusing at first, too, as X:R didnt differentiate between Joystick 1 or 2 at least by name, but it did recognize from which specific USB-Input the input came.

Also important: make notes about the input (what, wich, where,..), you'll probably need them.

So, I really need to get to know hold of the "joystick 2 x-" and "-y-axis" which are named as such in the controls scheme, for I still havent found out where the games think they are hardware-wise - At leat for my dual joystick setup.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”