Sudden control speed/turn-rate changes

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Martechi

Sudden control speed/turn-rate changes

Post by Martechi » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 11:19

So I've been getting back into playing X3:TC recently and been experiencing the weirdest thing: For the first few hours, the game runs perfectly fine, controls work as they should, etc. But after a while, the turn rate of my ship and all controls, in general, will suddenly become extremely sluggish. They'll stay that way until I hit the SETA, which then returns them to normal for a moment after deactivating once again - until it starts again. It seems to be getting more frequent very quickly after that.

Weirdly enough, I haven't had the game crash because of it or lag out otherwise - I'm halfway convinced I'm only unknowingly activating some secondary control mode that I've completely forgotten about.
Well, I tried looking into it here and on the forum, but I only seem to find threads on general performance issues or controls being sluggish overall, nothing specifically about these weird changes in the middle of the game.
I really hope somebody knows a solution to this, because at the current state it's making the game pretty much unplayable which is just a terrible shame.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Sudden control speed/turn-rate changes

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 13:43

Have you set another ship or drone to be wingman, follow, protect, or defend your ship (or vice versa)? That can limit your ship's performance to that of the other ship.

Otherwise, is your game modded?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Martechi

Post by Martechi » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 14:42

The first time I noticed it in this playthrough was during a mission to follow a very slow freighter. But I hadn't engaged the autopilot for it at all and no other vessels following me or in my wing. Once it started, it also continued after the mission ended and seemingly at random in different sectors and situations, with and without slower ships around.

I'm currently using the Babylon 5 mod for X3:TC (https://www.moddb.com/mods/babylon-5-x3-mod). I haven't tried it without mods recently, but I do recall having similar problems a while back when I last tried the X3:TC campaign. Nevertheless, I did look into known issues with the mod. But I could only find something on repetitive scripts being called too often, causing the game to slow down after a while playing. That doesn't really seem to fit the problem I'm having, as the issue seems to be more about the controls than the game overall slowing down and I'm not as far into the game as is usually the case when the known slow-down occurs.

It was suggested elsewhere that maybe an inactive controller/gamepad still being plugged in might cause the issue. I haven't any peripheral devices of the sort plugged in right now, but I did try looking into input options regardless. So far, I haven't found anything useful there, though.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 15:20

Thanks. It isn't a vanilla issue that is being often reported though.

Could it be something external slowing down your gaming, such as another app calling home on the internet, something updating, or your security doing a system check? That would slow all sorts of things in game and not just your ship though.

We have recently had some reports of SSDs slowing games if using their own funny game cache modes (Samsung - Magician/Rapid, or Crucial - Momentum caching).

You could try verifying your game installation, but then you are modded of course.

You could post a link to your DxDiag and I can look for any issues there.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Martechi

Post by Martechi » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 16:13

Just to be sure, I will launch a new game in vanilla and play for a few hours to see if I get the same problem there or if it is something specific to the mod. I'll post an update as soon as I know.

I'll also make extra-sure that there's nothing else running in the background. Although I don't know what external thing could be slowing down my game - any applications running in the background don't seem to disturb the game for the first few hours, and once the issue has arisen in a safe, it'll persist even if I load the game up on different days with nothing else running in the background. Still, if I see the issue again, I'll try and see if I can find any app doing something like an update or search that might be culprit.

If it were the SSD slowing down games, would it only affect X3:TC? It is a possibility I guess, though I wouldn't know what to do about it.

If the issue persists without mods, I'll try veryfying the game installation or re-installing it completely.

I'll post an update if I find anything new and, DxDiag if I still can't find anything.

Martechi

Post by Martechi » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 20:22

Turns out it was an issue with the mod after all. I dug through some older comment sections and found that they had some issues on general performance because some of the vanilla scripts got messed up. Somebody actually described pretty much the exact same issue I had. They had a suggested fix, and up to now, it seems to have worked.

Thanks regardless for the answers here, it's good to know there's still an alive community to rely on!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”