Dead is dead game crash

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Dictator_rus
xr

Dead is dead game crash

Post by Dictator_rus » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 13:54

Dear developers! Please optimise X3TC and X3AP for Windows 10! Over the past week, I've started dead is dead mode 7 times at first and every time the progess was lost due to crashes while passing the gate! :evil:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Dead is dead game crash

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 14:08

It's a bit late sorry. Development of the X3 games (with an engine from the XP OS and DirectShow era) has effectively ceased. I can tell you though that I have extensively played vanilla X3AP on Win10 without any crash issues. There might potentially be a fix for any future complete gameplay show-stopper encountered but multiple reports giving evidence showing that it is a game code issue and not say a modding, system or driver issue would be needed before such action would even be considered.

If you wish, you could post the information requested in the Sticky at the top of this forum and I could have a look to perhaps see why you might be crashing,
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Dictator_rus
xr

Post by Dictator_rus » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 14:50

Thank you for response! Here is some info I could find right now:
- Source, game, version and language Steam X3AP 3.3.0.0 English
- no mods
- Where appropriate, type of game played - Dead is dead
- Exact nature of the problem, where and when it occurs and what you were doing at the time - X3AP can halt while passing the gate - the screen turn black and nothing happening or you actually see next system but not responding to controls and the ship computer looped phrase "entering system".
- Any possibly relevant changes you have made to your game, system, or software before the issue occurred - no changes.
- Where appropriate, additional symptoms, error messages (see these FAQs) and even links to screenshots - no symptoms or error messages, only Win10 task manager shows that X3AP.exe is not responding
- Your system specifications in the form of a DxDiag report - https://yadi.sk/d/s_IbpLOjNj-XQA

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 16:14

Thanks. I had a look at the DxDiag:
  • You have two different *sound* devices and drivers working at the same time (Realtek and Nvidia). I would disable whichever you do not use in Control Panel, Device Manager, Sound/Audio Devices (right-click on a device in the list for an enable/disable pop-up menu).

You have Ffdshow codecs that are bad news for X2/X3 games and which you should have disabled for use with Steam and/or the X3TC/X3AP exes (see the Sticky about them - thread 5 in this forum), or even better you should uninstall the probably unnecessary freeware media application or codec pack (eg cccp, klite, etc) that installs them.

You might wish to find out why Windows is reporting so many wmiprvse.exe errors in case they indicate a system or OS issue.
Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Dictator_rus
xr

Post by Dictator_rus » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 18:25

Thank you for advice! I disable NVIDIA sound drivers and reinstall K-Lite without ffdshow codecs. Giving a try run.

Dictator_rus
xr

Post by Dictator_rus » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 14:07

Looks like it works! Thank you for help! But now when I try switch apps with ALT+TAB the X3AP screen turns black... The thing is the game is responding to controls and I manage to close it correctly using hotkeys SHIFT+Q :?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”