Accidently Overwrited my save.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

tjoli1
x4

Accidently Overwrited my save.

Post by tjoli1 » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 06:43

Is there any way to get this save back? I have spent roughly 300 hours on this save and was trying to load it, but didnt realize I had pressed save instead of load, so i saved a new game over the existing one!

PLEASE HELP!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 10:44

The game has no means to restore overwritten files, if that's what you mean. But you can find softwares on the internet, which may be able to restore deleted/overwritten files. A short google search brought up this article with links to and explanations of respective softwares. I haven't tried anything of this yet, so you will have to try and see for yourself if it works.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 11:10

It can be even worse as you exactly told the game to overwrite the file in question its not deleted but the data was changed, so not rescue program will ever work.
You could cheat most of your progress back in a new save of cause.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 12:41

Also you have lots of game save slots available anyway and the ability to copy saves elsewhere (unless playing official DiD) and so why would you risk all 300 hours playing on just one save without any backup?

Could I advise mrbadger's excellent savegame manager where you can save different games (different mods and/or vanilla mix) as separate campaigns and so never risk mistakenly overwriting something important again. It even has a foolproof vault for the most important saves that you *really* want to keep. It is entirely vanilla-safe for vanilla campaigns.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 20:50

About every month I make a backup of my saves and only use specific slots to save in. If you have autosave activated you will only have lost between your last save and when you last docked. Your save files should be under This PC>Documents>Egosoft>X3AP>Save

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Sat, 24. Mar 18, 03:46

Call me old fashioned, but I always keep manual backups of my saves.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”