Accidentally modified

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

arithon sffalenn
x4

Accidentally modified

Post by arithon sffalenn » Sat, 15. Jul 17, 18:57

Hi guys,
I got a little problem with my dead-is-dead-savegame. Got a couple of days in the game in dead-is-dead-mode, halfway through the albion-plot and just realised that for some f****** reason the game gave me a modified. Only reason I can see for that is a disconnect from the steam-servers that I didn't realize in between. Every time I saved and quitted and every time I started the game, there was a connection and I never got any error-messages...

(X3AP, german, dead-is-dead, via steam)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 15. Jul 17, 20:33

Spurious 'modified' indications generally come from these sorts of issues:
  • 1. Real time file checking by your AV or protection suite when loading from cloud or disk into RAM.
    2. Corrupt or interrupted save transfer or game installation/updates.
    3. A virus or malware!
    4. Using gamefiles from a cache rather than direct from the drive.
    5. Having some form of encryption or compression on your drive.
    6. Running other applications in the background that may use up significant bandwidth while saving.
    7. I am sure there are others ...
Have you verified both X3TC and X3AP Steam gamefile caches *separately* since these issues?

I thought that in DiD mode you could verify with Steam each time that the current save was considered good?

Ericmor did a DiD survival guide that may be useful too.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

arithon sffalenn
x4

Post by arithon sffalenn » Sun, 16. Jul 17, 00:47

So it is a 4-year-old problem that has never been fixed? -.- There are a lot of newer (and older) games, that can handle ironman/dead-is-dead without problems...
I'm not using encryption tools, couldn't find any viruses or malware and I think loading from drive or cache does not take place either, since the DiD-savegame is loaded from the steam-cloud, isn't it?
Have you verified both X3TC and X3AP Steam gamefile caches *separately* since these issues?
Do you think verifying the files after the save got "modified" changes anything? Cause in my case it didn't. Altough I only verified the AP-files since one can play AP via steam without having TC installed.
1. Real time file checking by your AV or protection suite when loading from cloud or disk into RAM.
So disabling AV everytime I start X3AP until the savegame is loaded should do the trick?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. Jul 17, 14:03

Unfortunately a 'modified' save is modified for good and nothing can 'unmodify' that save nor any ongoing play from it. Verifying the gamefiles cache and that perhaps finding issues might help to explain how it all happened though.

X3AP uses most of the X3TC core files (it is in fact an expansion within the TC game folder despite being played as a separate game). That is why it is worth installing the rest of X3TC from Steam and occasionally verifying the TC files separately even if you don't actually play TC as well as AP. Corruption in TC can affect AP.

Don't disable your AV completely to play when online, just see if any real-time file checking option (ie tests applied to all files just as they are being loaded from disk or cloud download into RAM) is enabled and try disabling that specific option as a trial. You may not even have that facility with your AV.

Good luck!

arithon sffalenn
x4

Post by arithon sffalenn » Sun, 16. Jul 17, 14:17

Ok, I'll try it again today or tomorrow and post, when somethin changed... I hope it works out better the next time, since I "lost" 2 days of gametime (minus SETA-time) for this savegame...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. Jul 17, 14:50

OK. I hope it all works out for you.

"4. Using gamefiles from a cache rather than direct from the drive."
Note that I mentioned gamefiles rather than saves here. There is something you can check for this unlikely event.

arithon sffalenn
x4

Post by arithon sffalenn » Sun, 16. Jul 17, 17:21

Hm, I just saw that till yesterday I didn't install the bonus pack, could that be a reason for modified? I thought, it was all up to date, but it seems it missed that update...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. Jul 17, 17:26

No the bonus pack is just an additional pack of signed vanilla scripts. Having it properly installed or not having it at all does not modify your game. Note that the X3AP bonus pack is only for installation into the X3TC 'addon' folder.

arithon sffalenn
x4

Post by arithon sffalenn » Mon, 17. Jul 17, 11:44

Worked out fine for about 30 hours or so, I got no modified. Not for short disconnect while playing and not for loading with AV-check active... I hope it stays that way, although I'd really like to know, how I got it last time -.-
Just lost the game for being a little too overconfident while trying to capture a Xenon L -.-

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”