X³: TC and AP - Mac support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

blaughw
x4

Post by blaughw » Fri, 25. Apr 14, 22:48

Biggest issue for me is firing boarding pods crashes the game (Mac).

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Sun, 4. May 14, 14:24

Hi Timon37,

Steam just downloaded an update for AP yesterday but i can't seem to find notes on it, can we get some please or point me in the direction of their location :)
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream, to kill him so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things!!! - Zap Brannigan

joe12sol
x3tc

Post by joe12sol » Mon, 5. May 14, 23:37

seems most everyone wishes for the boarding to work. Hopefully that ail be the first fix then. Any eta on that fix?

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 12. May 14, 11:16

Ok I'm slowly starting on this (takes a while to resetup everything in the office).
The crashes of course have priority, can anyone send me a savegame preferably in space aimed at a ship so that I just have to trigger boarding (and with some salvage insurance)?

EDIT: Ok reproduced and will be fixed for next release
Last edited by timon37 on Tue, 13. May 14, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

phantomrock2
x4

Post by phantomrock2 » Mon, 12. May 14, 13:07

the black screens when starting up & bonus pack features is what I am looking for the most & all plots working correctly
[" thank you "]

synik
x4

Steam Achievements - known issue or not?

Post by synik » Wed, 21. May 14, 00:43

Starting a new, non-custom game with build 21 there's no Achievements entry in the menu, and I don't seem to be earning any Achievements (finally got over a billion in my account: nothing).

I've checked for modified tag in the P-P-scroll-down list, and uploaded stats which says not modified.

Is this a known issue, or something to go on the fixing queue? I really don't want to have to ship my saves to parallels or some such hideousness...

Thanks!

phantomrock2
x4

It Is With Much Regret

Post by phantomrock2 » Wed, 21. May 14, 04:29

After some time of wondering why my logic board on my MACBOOK PRO kept blowing out & my screen having erratic problems & several trips back & forth to two different repair shops I could not figure out what was causing my Mac to act in such a erratic way. After just getting it back from the shop some time ago it was doing just fine (& I hope I have not opened another can of worms) until I opened X3AP & like I remotely feared that something was causing it to do what it was doing I shrugged it off and said that there was no way...

Well I had X3AP opened to the load game lobby for the lack of a better term (today) & the screen split into two & did some of the same symptomatic conditions that had me sending it off to repair about four times under warranty. I am afraid to say that until the game comes out of BETA I will have to remove ALL X-Trilogy games from the MAC I have because something is either burning out video components or frying my logic board. I had been watching the MAC ever since it has gotten out of repair...
[" thank you "]

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: It Is With Much Regret

Post by timon37 » Mon, 26. May 14, 10:47

@phantomrock2

Hmm that sounds really bad, but theoretically it can't be X3's fault in any way other than it just putting a load on the machine, and any other significant load (e.g. other games) should have the same result.

A friend had a similar issue with his laptop, it would crash when he compiled stuff. He sent it under warranty 3 times and all they did was blow a bit of compressed air at the radiator and send it back saying it was "fixed". Basically the chipset/motherboard was dying, and when it finally died they had to replace it.

Now having said that it's not impossible for it to be X3's semi-fault, as the OS and drivers have bugs and we could be hitting one of them, which could result in the OS crashing.
I guess the main question is if you're doing any other heavy tasks, like playing different games?

If it is a case of us hitting a OS/driver bug then any other demanding games shouldn't result in instability, and the issues should happen only when playing X3, alternatively if it's memory corruption it could also be after playing X3 (rebooting would "clear" any after effects).

phantomrock2
x4

Yes...

Post by phantomrock2 » Mon, 26. May 14, 17:15

However I am still trying to track down what is causing the MAC to do this. Not only have I lost having to play X3 games on MAC but this is also tearing into my music production on the very powerhouse MacBook Pro that I mainly use. I also did not see these problems until after Mavericks was installed. Which also having me to believe if it's the graphics card that is acting up. Sounds like planned obsolescence to me.
[" thank you "]

Digital_Dom
x3ap

Crash on Start.

Post by Digital_Dom » Tue, 27. May 14, 19:23

Right. First off, I really have a LOT of love for the X universe.
Now that that is out of the way, i have 2 issues:
Issue the first: The game crashes on start. Every time. I downloaded it via Steam today and it just hasn't worked past the initial startup screen, where I stumbled upon
Issue the second: How was it not important enough to inform people that this is a "public beta testing release"? Nowhere on Steam does it mention this. NOT COOL!!!!!

I'd like to upload the crash information. Haven't figured out how yet. I'd appreciate a little help on that.

My Specs:
Processor 2,16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

I realize they're on the weak side but since i've finished the main story quest as a "Humble Trader" before with a friend's disc-based (PC) version over friggin' wineskin i figured the Mac native version would work better. Or at all.
Plus I really do want you guys to have my money. I really, really do. But I do want something in return... :cry:
but i really do want the game to work more than the relatively small amount I paid for it...

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Crash on Start.

Post by timon37 » Wed, 28. May 14, 10:09

@Digital_Dom

When it crashes you should get a dialog box asking if you want to reopen, or send a bugreport, if you click the "report" there'll be a textbox with a lot of information, just copy it to pastebin.com (or anywhere) and post a link to it here, then cancel/close that window.

Digital_Dom
x3ap

Crash on Start.

Post by Digital_Dom » Wed, 28. May 14, 12:53

@timon37: Thanks for the help and the quick response, here's that link: http://pastebin.com/9pTAQA48

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Crash on Start.

Post by timon37 » Fri, 30. May 14, 14:59

@Digital_Dom

I understand the crash happens when you start a new game?
First of all try verifying the game cache (right click on game in library, properties, local files tab).
Do you have X3AP installed? If so check if both are set to the same language.
Also if you have both try verifying the cache for both, until the verifications pass for both. We've had issues with them overwriting each others files, so the verification would always fail for one or the other.

Also when you start the game you should get a steam dialog box asking if you want to run the latest or version 19, I'm guessing both crash?

The crash itself seems to be related to the first video, so a few questions:
- do you see the intro videos (before start menu) correctly?
- when you start a new game do you see the "quote" then the game crashes?
- if you press escape during the quote does the game not crash?
- does it also crash if you start a custom game?

Digital_Dom
x3ap

Post by Digital_Dom » Fri, 30. May 14, 21:32

Hello timon37,
The game crashes after I hit the "Play X3:TC" button in the screen that allows you change graphics settings, shows you the version number, etc (first cdkey window, then version launcher window, then X3 Terran Conflict window, then crash). The screen goes black, cursor is visible, it adjusts the screen, flashes steam in that resolution, flickers between black screen and proper resolution steam once and then informs me that the game process "quit unexpectedly".

Yup, crashes in both versions.

The few questions to your few answers:
-nope, don't see them at all.
-don't see that either.
-doesn't get that far.
-haven't been able to try.

Thanks for the effort. do appreciate it

EDIT: did that compiling thing too - no issues. it's all there

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 2. Jun 14, 15:22

@Digital_Dom

Ok, then try changing a few things in the graphics settings:
- windowed mode
- fullscreen without vsync and without Anisotropic filtering and without Antialiasing

The other thing is in Steam right click on X3TC, go to properties, click "Set Launch Options"
in the new dialog just write: -skipintro
With the minus sign, and without any spaces.
If it still crashes with this click the report button and give me the output.

Sorry for putting you through all this testing but it's probably gpu driver related and unfortunately I don't have hardware like that here.

Digital_Dom
x3ap

Post by Digital_Dom » Tue, 3. Jun 14, 13:43

@Timon: Hi, no need to apologise. I used to be a QA tester so i'm used to jumping through hoops. The only thing that really bummed me out was the game not being labelled as a "public beta testing release", but there are worse things in life. Other than that I'm super surprised and happy you're still supporting a 5 year old game and bringing us this new mac release.

Did all the stuff you asked me to, except for the windowed mode. I couldn't find the checkbox on that one. Report at http://pastebin.com/qncnc0Ri

What I think is really weird is that I was able to run it over wine. It didn't run well, but it worked.

"probably gpu driver related and unfortunately I don't have hardware like that here" - I'm sure you don't. This thing is OLD! ;)

either way thanks for the effort

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 3. Jun 14, 15:43

The windowed mode is in the graphics settings dialog, top left "Resolution" group, first you have a display selection combo-box, then resolution, and under that radio-buttons "fullscreen" and "windowed".

Well it's not that weird that it ran through wine, and doesn't work native since the whole rendering is rewritten in opengl, and a lot of other stuff like video decoding, all of which isn't trivial;p

Though I do have another question regarding that.
Can you check if it works with medium and high shaders through wine?

The opengl version kinda doesn't have the low/medium shaders, since it's a lot of effort and maintenance to do them, and they aren't needed (as much) anymore.

Prosik
x3tc

Excellent work with the port

Post by Prosik » Thu, 24. Jul 14, 02:04

Running on iMac 27" 32gig 1Tb SSD 3.5 i7.
New download from steam playing for about a week no crashes except for initial setup of video settings. The DLC - Bonus pack is installed according to steam.

I had to open the graphics settings and setup for the iMac screen resolution.

So far so good.

Mythix
x3ap

MAC installation files on STEAM

Post by Mythix » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 13:01

Hi,

Against my better judgement I bought the MAC version on Steam. Why oh why oh why...I HATE steam...

Can someone tell me where it puts the installation files as I want to install XRM and can't find the cats and dats!!!

:evil:

Any help appreciated...

cheers

Ian

PS: GREAT job guys with the MAC port, it runs fantastically on the new Macbook Pro and looks as gorgeous as I remember on my old PC :)
Macbook Pro Retina 2014

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 6. Oct 14, 09:50

By default it should be in your home directory then "Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X3 Terran Conflict".

Also you can just move it wherever you like and it should run without steam if you wish.

Please be careful with mods (make extra savegames etc), theoretically there shouldn't be any incompatibilities but in practice iirc some people had trouble.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”