X³: TC and AP - Mac support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Digital_Dom
x3ap

Post by Digital_Dom » Tue, 3. Jun 14, 13:43

@Timon: Hi, no need to apologise. I used to be a QA tester so i'm used to jumping through hoops. The only thing that really bummed me out was the game not being labelled as a "public beta testing release", but there are worse things in life. Other than that I'm super surprised and happy you're still supporting a 5 year old game and bringing us this new mac release.

Did all the stuff you asked me to, except for the windowed mode. I couldn't find the checkbox on that one. Report at http://pastebin.com/qncnc0Ri

What I think is really weird is that I was able to run it over wine. It didn't run well, but it worked.

"probably gpu driver related and unfortunately I don't have hardware like that here" - I'm sure you don't. This thing is OLD! ;)

either way thanks for the effort

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 3. Jun 14, 15:43

The windowed mode is in the graphics settings dialog, top left "Resolution" group, first you have a display selection combo-box, then resolution, and under that radio-buttons "fullscreen" and "windowed".

Well it's not that weird that it ran through wine, and doesn't work native since the whole rendering is rewritten in opengl, and a lot of other stuff like video decoding, all of which isn't trivial;p

Though I do have another question regarding that.
Can you check if it works with medium and high shaders through wine?

The opengl version kinda doesn't have the low/medium shaders, since it's a lot of effort and maintenance to do them, and they aren't needed (as much) anymore.

Prosik
x3tc

Excellent work with the port

Post by Prosik » Thu, 24. Jul 14, 02:04

Running on iMac 27" 32gig 1Tb SSD 3.5 i7.
New download from steam playing for about a week no crashes except for initial setup of video settings. The DLC - Bonus pack is installed according to steam.

I had to open the graphics settings and setup for the iMac screen resolution.

So far so good.

Mythix
x3ap

MAC installation files on STEAM

Post by Mythix » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 13:01

Hi,

Against my better judgement I bought the MAC version on Steam. Why oh why oh why...I HATE steam...

Can someone tell me where it puts the installation files as I want to install XRM and can't find the cats and dats!!!

:evil:

Any help appreciated...

cheers

Ian

PS: GREAT job guys with the MAC port, it runs fantastically on the new Macbook Pro and looks as gorgeous as I remember on my old PC :)
Macbook Pro Retina 2014

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 6. Oct 14, 09:50

By default it should be in your home directory then "Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X3 Terran Conflict".

Also you can just move it wherever you like and it should run without steam if you wish.

Please be careful with mods (make extra savegames etc), theoretically there shouldn't be any incompatibilities but in practice iirc some people had trouble.

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Wed, 15. Oct 14, 17:40

Hi Timon

Not sure if the small update beta test was meant for mac as well, but it seems to have broke AP, tested TC that is still able to launch fine.
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream, to kill him so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things!!! - Zap Brannigan

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 16. Oct 14, 13:32

karlwatson wrote:Hi Timon

Not sure if the small update beta test was meant for mac as well, but it seems to have broke AP, tested TC that is still able to launch fine.
Yep, that's mostly why I didn't mention it here;p
Also there aren't any significant changes on mac, it's basically just a recompile to check for regressions.

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Fri, 17. Oct 14, 03:40

For how many OS updates will Ego be supporting? i.e. with Yosemite now being released. Is the test beta the final bit of work on the X3 games, finishing up with these ports? and very well done I might add Timon.
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream, to kill him so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things!!! - Zap Brannigan

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Fri, 17. Oct 14, 10:36

karlwatson wrote:For how many OS updates will Ego be supporting? i.e. with Yosemite now being released. Is the test beta the final bit of work on the X3 games, finishing up with these ports? and very well done I might add Timon.
In theory there's no "end of support" we'll do it as long as we can afford to.
Which of course means that if e.g. opengl is no longer supported and I would need to rewrite the renderer, it's over;p

But as long as it's minor maintenance I'll be keeping it alive, though unfortunately it's already mostly in a "squeeze it in between other tasks" mode. So it's a bit hard, especially since XR doesn't run on linux/mac yet so it takes time for me to switch between projects.
On the upside once/if I get to that milestone, it'll be easier to handle... in many ways;)

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Fri, 17. Oct 14, 14:26

Super awesome, keep up the good work Timon, can't wait to get win8 off my rMBP.

Prosik
x3tc

Turrets

Post by Prosik » Mon, 3. Nov 14, 20:03

Anyone else having issues with turrets not defending the ship from missiles? I have gone through the game settings and setup turrets for missiles. It works on the PC side but not seeing it working on the Mac.

Prosik

Other than that great work. Halfway through shady business.

Prosik
x3tc

Screenshot UI in Background?

Post by Prosik » Tue, 4. Nov 14, 00:10

Mac OS X 10.10
Late 2013 Imac 27
I7 3.5
32 Gig 1600 DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4096

This was taken in Black Hole Sun during the Kill Capital Ship Mission for Shady Business.

Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_UsIF ... sp=sharing

Prosik[/url]

Fixed permissions again hopefully this time.

Sayuuk
x4

Post by Sayuuk » Sun, 4. Jan 15, 17:19

Hey guys,

I've recently picked up playing X3:AP again (running perfectly fine on my Macbook Air 2013 Late - until you ad too many fighters or shots into the mix, at which point the CPU is too slow).

There is however one issue I cannot explain:
Swarm missiles are invisible...

I can see them fine on gravidar and they work as advertised, but all Swarm missiles (singles and Tomahawk/Phantom barrages are working fine) don't show visually.

Has anyone ever experienced this and are there any fixes I could try?

X3:AP is current as of today, using the newer build (default) and any software I can think of is up to date.

Cheers
Stefan

P.S.: Apart from this, working perfectly fine, second Wind for X3 on my little Macbook ;-)

posed
x3tc

Post by posed » Mon, 5. Jan 15, 14:59

same problem here. Mac Pro Late 2010.

Deleted User

Mods folder?

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 15. Feb 15, 21:51

Have been using VP version and recently removed and installed Egosoft version but can't find Data folder to add mods - any help?
:evil:

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 10:33

@hubris

You mean what would normally be the root folder for the game?
If you've got the game installed through the app-store it'll be in "/Applications/X3\ -\ Albion\ Prelude\ ML.app/Contents/Resources/".

For the Steam version depends on where you installed but by default it'll be inside your home folder under "Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X3 Terran Conflict", you can right click on the game in steam and go to Properties -> local files -> browse local files.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 13:41

Almost it's the same as /Library/Application Support/com.vpltd.X3AP-MAS/DataChanges/ so you'll find the addon folder in the one I mentioned.

Btw I'm afraid this is actually something that'll change. Currently there's a problem where the ingame script editor won't save any changes.
So basically I need to implement a similar "overloading" system that was present in the vp version. Unfortunately anything you put in there will probably get overwritten with the next update.

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 12:56

Hello,

Wasn't sure where to put this. I just noticed the Facebook news about VP Ltd customers get the new versions free, does this apply to VP's Physical copies? can they also be redeemed some how on the mac app store?

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 14:23

@Eriru Drourojj

Honestly I didn't know there was such a thing, if you can somehow get the app-store to recognize that you bought the game then you should just get the update.
But I'm guessing that version isn't tied in any way to the app-store.
Was there any cd-key or serial number with the box?

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 14:27

The news was from the Ego Facebook page. Yes I have a VP Ltd product key and a forum key in these formats.

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX Product key

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX Forum Key, I think this one might be for the Ego forums

Also I have VP's Deliver2Mac versions of TC and AP

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”