X³: TC and AP - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

dv.underworld
xr

Post by dv.underworld » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 20:27

timon37 wrote:Hi,

I'm skeptical that it'll fix the savegame corruption issue, though it's not impossible.
Hopefully there are no new regressions or compatibility issues with it, then I'll be able to seriously look into fixing the remaining issues.
Looks like this savegame corruption problem has been resolved by the latest update: https://steamcommunity.com/games/201310 ... 3636043628
Have been playing it since it's release, and so far no recurring problems detected.

THX!!!
Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

rene77
x3tc

Post by rene77 » Sat, 22. Apr 17, 21:37

After playing 2 weeks with my joystick today the game crashed and does not recognize my joystick anymore. I play with Debian Jessie 64bit and the latest patch 3.2.
jstest and all other tests work as expected using my joystick. Even in steam i can navigate with my joystick. But if i start Albion Prelude and got to input settings the lines dont change anymore while i rotating the x/y axis. In game the joystick is also dead.
Any hints what can be the reason and how to fix it?
A corrupted cached file or something?

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 24. Apr 17, 09:28

@rene77
Is the joystick available and selected in the top dropdown list in the input settings dialog box?
I'm seeing an issue where the joystick is selectable, but the bars don't move, however it later works in-game as expected (or rather unexpected?).
Clearly an issue but seems different from yours.

@andreihaiducul, Akdor 1154

Noted, I'll see what I can do. It's mainly a question of procuring the time for it, but I've got an idea.

@dv.underworld
huh whaddayaknow, awesome a.k.a. lucky;)
It's possible though that it's just rarer now, so still try to be a bit careful (save more often and check your save files).

Avaricia
xr

Post by Avaricia » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 13:44

Hi I am running Arch Linux and while I can run the game directly with 'X3TC_main' I get this error when I try and run the game through Steam or 'X3TC_config' manually:

Code: Select all

./X3TC_config: lib/libz.so.1: version 'ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib32/libpng16.so.16
I guess it happens because Arch has zlib 1.2.11 installed not 1.2.9 however I am not sure what other distros I could check it on as even Debian has a different zlib in it's repos and wont launch 'X3TC_config' for me.

I did try compiling the older zlib myself and put it in the game directory but that didn't work.

rene77
x3tc

Post by rene77 » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 14:06

timon37 wrote:@rene77
Is the joystick available and selected in the top dropdown list in the input settings dialog box?
I'm seeing an issue where the joystick is selectable, but the bars don't move, however it later works in-game as expected (or rather unexpected?).
Yes, the joystick ist still available and selected. If i change to NONE i have no bars at all.
My joystick is selectable but the bars dont move. In game the axis and the buttons dont work.
Strange is that it happens since the crash to desktop.
Before i played 2 weeks without any problems with my joystick.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 15:11

@Avaricia

I'll bundle a few more libs for the next build, that'll hopefully solve the issue for you.
As a workaround you can try copying them from the steam-runtime to the "X3 Terran Conflict/lib" folder.
e.g. from ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1

@rene77

Thanks for more info

Avaricia
xr

Post by Avaricia » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 16:41

timon37 wrote:@Avaricia

I'll bundle a few more libs for the next build, that'll hopefully solve the issue for you.
As a workaround you can try copying them from the steam-runtime to the "X3 Terran Conflict/lib" folder.
e.g. from ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1

@rene77

Thanks for more info
Thanks, copying libz.so.1 to the game directory didn't work so unless there is some symlink magic I can do with them I will wait for you to push the next update.

Toli4

Post by Toli4 » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 16:41

I can't use my Defender Cobra too. Rene77, I'm staying with you :(
This issue begins after update 3.3 On my Ubuntu 16.04 Gnome.

In Albion Prelude has the problem too.
In the basic X-3 Reunion a Joy works correctly.

Akdor 1154
x3ap

Post by Akdor 1154 » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 16:32

ZOMG! Upgrading to Ubuntu 17.04 seems to fix the HUD performance issue. :D

@Timon - thanks for the effort you are putting into supporting our platform. :)
Disregard this sentence.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 2. May 17, 09:57

Akdor 1154 wrote:ZOMG! Upgrading to Ubuntu 17.04 seems to fix the HUD performance issue. :D

@Timon - thanks for the effort you are putting into supporting our platform. :)
Just to clarify the "our" in your sentence includes me, I've been using gnu/linux as my main os since about 2003;)

Heh, I've just been trying to repro it first on 15.04 and now on 17.04 and couldn't...
On 15.04 both with mesa and fglrx:(

@andreihaiducul and anyone else with the "amd UI performance issue"
Can you give more details about your system? like:
distro (32 or 64bit):
gpu:
driver:
also save glewinfo and/or glxinfo to pastebin.com or other such.

andreihaiducul
x3ap

Post by andreihaiducul » Tue, 2. May 17, 14:56

timon37 wrote:
Akdor 1154 wrote: @andreihaiducul and anyone else with the "amd UI performance issue"
Can you give more details about your system? like:
distro (32 or 64bit):
gpu:
driver:
also save glewinfo and/or glxinfo to pastebin.com or other such.
distro: Arch 64bit
gpu:

% lspci|grep VGA
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] R700 [Radeon HD 4870 X2]
driver: mesa 17.0.5 (always latest stable)
glewinfo and glxinfo

This problem has been around for a long, long time and across platforms, but it just wasn't a serious one until X3AP because menus were much smaller - I want to say since X-tension but that might just be biased memory. It was certainly there in LGP's ports with older hardware and drivers (but still mesa/gallium and ATI). I don't get this issue on my laptop with intel hardware though (mesa driver non-gallium).

Akdor 1154
x3ap

Post by Akdor 1154 » Sat, 6. May 17, 10:27

timon37 wrote:
Heh, I've just been trying to repro it first on 15.04 and now on 17.04 and couldn't...
On 15.04 both with mesa and fglrx:(
I only noticed it on 16.04 and 16.10, can't really remember if I was playing regularly before then or not. I believe I was...

I'm using a Radeon 7850, stock mesa only. Oibaf's updated drivers also showed this issue on the occasions I tested them.
Disregard this sentence.

adrianx
x3tc

Post by adrianx » Sun, 7. May 17, 13:48

rene77 wrote:
timon37 wrote:@rene77
Yes, the joystick ist still available and selected. If i change to NONE i have no bars at all.
My joystick is selectable but the bars dont move. In game the axis and the buttons dont work.
Strange is that it happens since the crash to desktop.
Before i played 2 weeks without any problems with my joystick.
So, back playing X3 after an almost 3 year break but my X52Pro which worked then apart from the problem I posted about in 2014. Now I have the same issue as rene77 posted so something has changed in the last 3 years ;-) Could be my system though (Ubuntu 16.04 with mesa ppa). I have a fairly irritating issue with key presses in input fields not working well (have to hold key down for a second to register then get multiple copies) which I'll write more on later.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 8. May 17, 09:25

The input issue will be fixed in the next build, though I don't know when it'll be out.

fauxmight
x3tc

FIX FOR Arch Linux libz / libpng issue AND corrupt savegame issue

Post by fauxmight » Mon, 8. May 17, 09:41

This addresses issues raised above by Avaricia and Moderato_bei_X

I found a workaround for the issue noted (by Avaricia) with Arch Linux and the game failing to start (specifically, X3TC_config failing to start).

./X3TC_config: lib/libz.so.1: version 'ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib32/libpng16.so.16
If Arch has lib32-libpng installed, the dynamic linking loads /usr/lib32/libpng.so (softlink to /usr/lib32/libpng16.so.16.29.0) and this in turn fails because the libz.so.1 that is packaged with the game was already loaded so the 1.2.11 version of libz against which Arch's (32-bit) libpng is compiled cannot be loaded. (At least, it appears this is the issue.)

The fix is to UNINSTALL lib32-libpng. This will require quite a few other multilib (32-bit) libraries and packages to be uninstalled as well, but when running

pacman -Rc lib32-libpng
those other 32-bit packages requiring lib32-libpng will be removed as well. This will include lib32-gtk2, but the Steam version of X3TC_config will run without it. The GOG version will not. I can't resolve this situation with the GOG version at present.

The issue of games saved not loading (brought up by Moderato_bei_X) was also solved for me with this fix. Apparently, if one uses the LD_PRELOAD work-around OR puts a libz.so.1.2.9 in the lib subdirectory of the Steam X3TC (replacing the game-installed libz.so.1), then while the game will start, MOST games saved will not correctly load. Apparently there is significant difference between the libz packages. If you REMOVE the Arch package as described above, this issue gets fixed, too.

If you are experiencing similar troubles but running a distro that is not Arch, try removing 32-bit libpng if you can. You may have other packages requiring 32-bit libpng, and if so, you may have to decide between running those and running X3TC; that's up to you.

adrianx
x3tc

Post by adrianx » Mon, 8. May 17, 09:49

timon37 wrote:The input issue will be fixed in the next build, though I don't know when it'll be out.
Um, keyboard or joystick or both ? At any rate, thanks; I can muddle through the keyboard problem and am probably going to buy a Steam controller at some point (would have already but they're not sold in Norway) so will try playing with that instead of joystick and especially for X-Rebirth.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 8. May 17, 10:16

adrianx wrote:
timon37 wrote:The input issue will be fixed in the next build, though I don't know when it'll be out.
Um, keyboard or joystick or both ? At any rate, thanks; I can muddle through the keyboard problem and am probably going to buy a Steam controller at some point (would have already but they're not sold in Norway) so will try playing with that instead of joystick and especially for X-Rebirth.
Keyboard issue almost for sure (unless the sdl-events behave inconsistently between systems).
I fixed one joystick issue, but I'm getting the impression that there's a different one, which I couldn't reproduce, so your issue probably won't be fixed:(

adrianx
x3tc

Post by adrianx » Mon, 8. May 17, 11:03

timon37 wrote:
Keyboard issue almost for sure (unless the sdl-events behave inconsistently between systems).
I fixed one joystick issue, but I'm getting the impression that there's a different one, which I couldn't reproduce, so your issue probably won't be fixed:(
Thanks for still supporting the older Xs' - have Rebirth in my library but thought I'd wait until its patched and modded to hell and back before playing ;-) (especially so I don't have to "play" the mini-game warp-tunnel).

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Fri, 12. May 17, 17:00

Hi,
The most recent fixes are out in public beta (switching instructions https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=392992) so anyone who's not afraid can test them;)

I also have something I'd like those with joystick issues to try.
Open a console and do (note it's lower case L and not upper case i):
ls -lL /dev/input/by-id/
You'll get something like this:
total 0
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 67 May 12 09:14 usb-046a_0023-event-if01
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 66 May 12 09:14 usb-046a_0023-event-kbd
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 68 May 12 09:14 usb-Microsoft_Comfort_Mouse_6000-event-mouse
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 32 May 12 09:14 usb-Microsoft_Comfort_Mouse_6000-mouse
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 81 May 12 16:53 usb-©Microsoft_Corporation_Controller_0957272-event-joystick
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 13, 2 May 12 16:53 usb-©Microsoft_Corporation_Controller_0957272-joystick
You'll likely see your joystick twice, once with -event-joystick and another just -joystick.
In the example the event-joystick one doesn't have read permissions for anyone other than root. Then the simple (albeit annoying) workaround is to just do:
sudo chmod o+r /dev/input/by-id/usb-©Microsoft_Corporation_Controller_0957272-event-joystick

adrianx
x3tc

Post by adrianx » Fri, 12. May 17, 19:23

timon37 wrote:Hi,
I also have something I'd like those with joystick issues to try.

adrian@mort:~$ ls -lL /dev/input/by-id/
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root input   13, 67 May 12 16:12 usb-Clearly_Superior_Technologies._CST_Laser_Trackball-event-mouse
crw-rw----  1 root input   13, 32 May 12 16:12 usb-Clearly_Superior_Technologies._CST_Laser_Trackball-mouse
crw-rw----+ 1 root plugdev 13, 81 May 12 18:15 usb-Saitek_Saitek_X52_Pro_Flight_Control_System-event-joystick
crw-rw----+ 1 root plugdev 13,  0 May 12 18:15 usb-Saitek_Saitek_X52_Pro_Flight_Control_System-joystick
adrian@mort:~$ id
uid=1000(adrian) gid=1000(adrian) groups=1000(adrian),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),108(lpadmin),124(sambashare),125(vboxusers),128(libvirtd)
adrian@mort:~$ sudo chmod o+r /dev/input/by-id/usb-Saitek_Saitek_X52_Pro_Flight_Control_System-*
[sudo] password for adrian: 
adrian@mort:~$ ls -lL /dev/input/by-id/
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root input   13, 67 May 12 16:12 usb-Clearly_Superior_Technologies._CST_Laser_Trackball-event-mouse
crw-rw----  1 root input   13, 32 May 12 16:12 usb-Clearly_Superior_Technologies._CST_Laser_Trackball-mouse
crw-rw-r--+ 1 root plugdev 13, 81 May 12 18:15 usb-Saitek_Saitek_X52_Pro_Flight_Control_System-event-joystick
crw-rw-r--+ 1 root plugdev 13,  0 May 12 18:15 usb-Saitek_Saitek_X52_Pro_Flight_Control_System-joystick
adrian@mort:~$ getfacl /dev/input/by-id/usb-Saitek_Saitek_X52_Pro_Flight_Control_System-*
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: dev/input/by-id/usb-Saitek_Saitek_X52_Pro_Flight_Control_System-event-joystick
# owner: root
# group: plugdev
user::rw-
user:adrian:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::r--

# file: dev/input/by-id/usb-Saitek_Saitek_X52_Pro_Flight_Control_System-joystick
# owner: root
# group: plugdev
user::rw-
user:adrian:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::r--
I'm going to update my LU game with the beta and will let you know of any problems.
Thanks.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”