X³: TC and AP - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

AeroNotix
x3ap

Linux: Issues so far

Post by AeroNotix » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 12:31

Hi,

I'm not a beginner with this game I have played through several times on Windows, however I wanted to give the Linux version a try since it's my primary operating system.

My problems include:

* Various videos are completely garbled, especially the main menu (New Game/Continue).

* The game will randomly hang/pause for quite some time (3-4s+) at seemingly random locations.

<Moved to Linux Beta Sticky. Alan Phipps>

lumbrius
xr

Post by lumbrius » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 13:17

AeroNotix wrote: * The game will randomly hang/pause for quite some time (3-4s+) at seemingly random locations.
I confirm this to happen, albeit setting graphics to 'Low' fixed this for me

Omg.... :lol: I've just encountered epic bug with tractor beam...
After I fired into my ore mine with tractor beam, it pulled my ship with increasing speed into asteroid and BOOM! game over :)
Also, it was red, not green, and became orange/yellow last second before lethal collision.
Last edited by lumbrius on Sat, 20. Apr 13, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

AeroNotix
x3ap

Save games not working

Post by AeroNotix » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 13:37

I also get a segfault after loading in my Windows saved games into the Linux save game folder.

Code: Select all

*** Error in `<unknown>': double free or corruption (!prev): 0x0a358130 ***
/home/xeno/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/X3 Terran Conflict/testandlaunch: line 31:  3134 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./$1
Game removed: AppID 2820 "X3: Terran Conflict", ProcID 3134 
saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully
The OP suggests I can use my save-games.

Also, will the source be available at all? I understand that's a tall order but it could help.[/code]

lumbrius
xr

Post by lumbrius » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 14:18

Same about saves there, Windows version crashes trying to load Linux saves and vice versa.

AeroNotix
x3ap

Post by AeroNotix » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 14:22

So do save games work or not, on a thread on Reddit there are also reports of save games not being compatible.

GPU: AMD HD4890

lumbrius
xr

Post by lumbrius » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 14:40

I guess anwser lies there:
That is for Linux save

lucius@diana ~ $ file /home/lucius/.config/EgoSoft/X3TC/save/X05.sav 
/home/lucius/.config/EgoSoft/X3TC/save/X05.sav: gzip compressed data, from Unix
That is for Windows save

lucius@diana ~ $ file /media/Whiteflash/X05.sav 
/media/Whiteflash/X05.sav: gzip compressed data, from NTFS filesystem (NT)

AeroNotix
x3ap

Post by AeroNotix » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 14:55

Hmm, I tried extracting/re-gzipping, no dice.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 16:36

General (or stupid) question:

I'm currently playing (a heavily modified) X3TC using wine.
I installed all the different mods and scripts from my wine installation, (literally copying the t/scripts/etc from my wine setup) and copied the .save games. Trying to reload the save games resulted in crash, with no real callstack.
Any use in trying to create a clean environment (read: A list of actions in-order to create the same setup) + uploading (the huge) save games or is it redundant/useless at this stage?

EDIT: Deleted stupid-question-1, seems that it was asked 1 hour ago.

- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:R Linux w/ XTM (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:TC w/ XRM (under wine).
Heavily modified X3:AP Linux w/ XRM.
Modified X4 Linux w/ VRO.
Machine: 2 x E5-2658V2, 32G, 8TB RAID10, 1080GTX, Dell UP3216Q 4K LCD.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 16:44

hogy wrote:I can't get Terran Conflict to recognise/use my joystick hat. I've gone through a bunch of axis numbers in the input dialog and none of them are affected by it. I've also tried the "Use POV hat to look around" but it doesn't seem to work.
Back when LGP released X2 and X3R for Linux I had the same issues with both of them.
Essentially, Linux treated the POV's on my X52 as axis instead of buttons.
In the end I simply write a simple library that I pre-loaded it before X2/X3R were launched. This library allowed me to remap axis/buttons/etc and threat them as keyboard events.

The irony is that while my library was required under the native Linux versions of X2 and X3R, it is not required when I play X3TC/Steam under Linux using wine. (Go figure).

When I'll have some free time, I'll resurrect my library and test it under X3TC/Steam/Linux.

- Gilboa
[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjoyevent/
X2 Linux (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:R Linux w/ XTM (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:TC w/ XRM (under wine).
Heavily modified X3:AP Linux w/ XRM.
Modified X4 Linux w/ VRO.
Machine: 2 x E5-2658V2, 32G, 8TB RAID10, 1080GTX, Dell UP3216Q 4K LCD.

Dorto
x3tc

Post by Dorto » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 17:07

I have the same problem with save games imported from windows... TC crashes when I try to load them. Noticed they are v1.0 while TC in Ubuntu is v3... Maybe that is the problem?

BarFly
x4

Post by BarFly » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 18:22

Hello,

I also have to confirm, that game is pausing quite often for 3 or 4 seconds.
Coming into Ore Belt (Erzgürtel) it slows down to a Diashow for a couple of seconds, then goes on quite well.
Another problem occurs (for me at least). Steam shows the code number of the gamem in the lower right corner. It says to close this window press 'shift & tab' if I do so, I fall back to the desktop, hearing still the game sound. The game goes on - I heard 'docking successful' :) , but I didn't figure out how to get back to the game.
It should be a key combination, but which?

Btw: I love it to play it with Linux :!:

My specs (from steam)
Joystick Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 3066 Mhz
2 logical processors
2 physical processors
HyperThreading: Unsupported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Unsupported
SSE42: Unsupported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Operating System Version:
Ubuntu 12.10 (64 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 3.5.0-27-generic
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Server Release: 11300000
X Window Manager: Compiz
Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime-release-i386_2013-04-02

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 280/PCIe/SSE2

Driver Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.88
Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x5e1
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 20,51" x 11,54" (23,50" diag)
52,1cm x 29,3cm (59,7cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x 16x

Sound card:
Audio device: Realtek ALC889A

Memory:
RAM: 7985 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
Microphone: Not set
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 53391 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 37095 Mb
Last edited by BarFly on Sat, 20. Apr 13, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Ciao BarFly

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 18:45

The inability to load savegames is also mentioned by a user in the German forum. He's trying to load *modified* Windows savegames (modified as the Script Editor was activated). The only installed scripts are the ones from the Bonus package. Loading the savegames results in crashes without any error.

A savegame can be downloaded here.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

AeroNotix
x3ap

Post by AeroNotix » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 19:11

My game may also be modified, I'll make a savegame on windows and try it unmodified and see how that goes.

hogy
x4

Post by hogy » Sat, 20. Apr 13, 23:12

gilboa wrote:
hogy wrote:I can't get Terran Conflict to recognise/use my joystick hat. I've gone through a bunch of axis numbers in the input dialog and none of them are affected by it. I've also tried the "Use POV hat to look around" but it doesn't seem to work.
Back when LGP released X2 and X3R for Linux I had the same issues with both of them.
Essentially, Linux treated the POV's on my X52 as axis instead of buttons.
In the end I simply write a simple library that I pre-loaded it before X2/X3R were launched. This library allowed me to remap axis/buttons/etc and threat them as keyboard events.
Well assuming they use SDL, I just wrote a test program and SDL can definitely read the hat okay (SDL_JoystickGetHat) and get events for it (SDL_JOYHATMOTION).

Cheers
James

toomutch
x3ap

Post by toomutch » Sun, 21. Apr 13, 12:09

During gameplay, I pressed the volumne button on my keyboard, and was thrown back to desktop. Presumably the OS really wanted me to see the volume slider. Anyway - can't get back to the game. Alt-tab doesn't show X3, and X3 doesn't appear in the desktop taskbar / side bar. When I double clicked the desktop icon to restart, Steam said the game was already running. Had to restart the pc to clear things.

Have got round this, by adding the X3 icon to the quick launch side bar - if I press the volume key from within the game, it still throws me back to the desltop, but I can click on the quicklaunch / side bar icon to switch back to the game.

Please note, I am fairly new to Ubuntu (12.10) so this issue may be due to me not knowing my way around the OS rather than a X3 issue. Is it possible to disable the volume slider as the splash screen starts up?

Once I got Ubuntu to load my graphics drivers (NVidia 9800 GT) I have not found any problems with the game (apart from the above).

HTH
System Spec: ZX Spectrum. Memory - 16K with 32K add on pack. Sound - Cheetah Speech box. Graphics - mums old telly

DGhost
x3tc

Stuttering and Missing Textures Files

Post by DGhost » Sun, 21. Apr 13, 13:12

I encounter the 1-5 sec. in-game freeze too, but I observed that whenever the game starts to freeze, it looks like the game is loading some textures for new ships arriving in the sector you are currently in.

The console is spamed during the freezes with lines like those below:

../X3.5/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\unique_paranid_m5_diff
../X3.5/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\unique_paranid_m5_bump
../X3.5/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\unique_paranid_m5_spec
../X3.5/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\unique_paranid_m5_light
While watching the console output I also saw that the game tried to load textures which it is unable to find.
The console output looks like this:

ERROR: Unable to load texture 'textures\F:\SRC\X3.5\[Assets]\Terran\x3.5 Textures\Textures\envmap', using dummy texture!
Error reloading texture F:\SRC\X3.5\[Assets]\Terran\x3.5 Textures\Textures\envmap(1947).
Error reloading texture C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_02_bump(2078).
Error reloading texture C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_03_bump(2082).
So looks like a developer has left some absolute texture file paths in some assets. :)

Dorsai!
x3tc

Post by Dorsai! » Sun, 21. Apr 13, 14:17

I played for a while today and I have no freezes oder crashes as long as I do not use the bonuspack or other mods (even mods only consisting of dds files like hud replacements).

As long as I don't get a *modified* everything seems fine. Strangely, I even get *modified* when using the bonuspack, although that should be signed and is working on Windows/wine.

As soon as I get the *modified* some sounds stop working (SETA or the "zoom" Sound). When I dock at a station the autosave fails and tells me "saving not possible" or something like that. Most GUI menu items are replaced with *readtext ....* after that.

I switched mods on and of one after another and I am fairly sure, that its not a problem with the individual mods, but somehow with a modified game in general.

I may be wrong though.

AeroNotix
x3ap

Re: Stuttering and Missing Textures Files

Post by AeroNotix » Sun, 21. Apr 13, 15:24

DGhost wrote:I encounter the 1-5 sec. in-game freeze too, but I observed that whenever the game starts to freeze, it looks like the game is loading some textures for new ships arriving in the sector you are currently in.

The console is spamed during the freezes with lines like those below:

../X3.5/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\unique_paranid_m5_diff
../X3.5/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\unique_paranid_m5_bump
../X3.5/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\unique_paranid_m5_spec
../X3.5/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\unique_paranid_m5_light
While watching the console output I also saw that the game tried to load textures which it is unable to find.
The console output looks like this:

ERROR: Unable to load texture 'textures\F:\SRC\X3.5\[Assets]\Terran\x3.5 Textures\Textures\envmap', using dummy texture!
Error reloading texture F:\SRC\X3.5\[Assets]\Terran\x3.5 Textures\Textures\envmap(1947).
Error reloading texture C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_02_bump(2078).
Error reloading texture C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_03_bump(2082).
So looks like a developer has left some absolute texture file paths in some assets. :)
I get the relative path errors. Wonder what would happen if we filled those in :)

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Sun, 21. Apr 13, 15:47

The savegame issue is a major screwup on my part:(

The fix is actually very simple, but the problem is making it automatic and not breaking savegames for people who started a new game on linux.
I'm working on it and hope to have it out asap.

Don't worry about those missing file warnings, they're a side-effect of some data preparation tools and completely harmless.

AeroNotix
x3ap

Post by AeroNotix » Sun, 21. Apr 13, 16:32

Hi,

So there's hope yet of sharing game saves? This is epic!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”