Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

brekehan
x4

Post by brekehan » Thu, 11. Jun 09, 19:28

Very bad things happened after I jumped to the hub with patch 2.1.

The UI didn't load all the way, keyboard became unresponsive, and frame rate dropped to 1 in 6 seconds.

I'll get a DX diag when my system is responsive again.
To understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 11. Jun 09, 19:37

Just tried it (TC 2.1 Vanilla Eng DVD) and its fine. Could be the random sector entry slowdown bug that you caught. Alt/F4 out, restart TC and you should be OK.

gandy|UKCS|
x3tc

Post by gandy|UKCS| » Thu, 11. Jun 09, 19:41

this is a random ( bug ?? ) thing that happens now and then.
Gaming PC
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V - CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2ghz
HSF - Corsair H100 - GFX - GTX-470
Memory - 8gig Corsair Vengence Black DDR3 @ 1600mhz
Monitor - BenQ 2400HD 24"
Case - CM Storm Stryker

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Fri, 12. Jun 09, 18:50

i've never had or heard of a random sectory entry bug - can you give more info?
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Ecthelion
x4

Post by Ecthelion » Fri, 12. Jun 09, 19:53

frymaster wrote:i've never had or heard of a random sectory entry bug - can you give more info?
It happens to me sometimes in sectors with complexes and also in Terran sectors (coming or going). What happens is that you enter a sector and get symptoms like the OP described. The sector entry voiceover notification also plays like a broken record.

In 2.0, I did some exploring in the Terran sectors, and after traversing across 3 or 4 Terran sectors (using the orbital accelerators), I consistently got the random sector entry bug. My solution was to save after a few sectors, then load the game and repeat the process until I reached my destination.

What I've noticed that may or may not be related to this is that sometimes when I load a savegame or enter a new sector, at least one of the stations in that sector will have missing geometry. It's noticeable around the docking port, because it will be missing entire sections.

Another thing that I have noticed is that sometimes when I'm in a Terran sector, the Terran stations will get translucent and glow very brightly (similar to overdone HDR). My Springblossom will do the same thing, maybe because it's a Terran ship. When this happens, I almost always get the framerate drop associated with the random sector entry bug, and entering another sector makes it even worse. A reload is the only thing that helps when this happens.
Windows Windows 7 Release Candidate (64-bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
ATI HD 4850 1024MB
8GB RAM

-----------------------------------------------------
Pirate Identification Guide

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 12. Jun 09, 20:09

Ecthelion
x4

Post by Ecthelion » Fri, 12. Jun 09, 20:29

I don't think that explains it, at least for me. I experienced this problem under Vista 32-bit with 4GB of RAM (not using any tweaks to increase the available memory) and also under Windows 7 RC 64-bit with 8GB of RAM (I recently added another 4GB). I shouldn't be running out of memory with 8GB, and when I was using Vista, X3TC wasn't "large memory aware".
Windows Windows 7 Release Candidate (64-bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
ATI HD 4850 1024MB
8GB RAM

-----------------------------------------------------
Pirate Identification Guide

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 12. Jun 09, 20:54

By the way, since 2.0 the 'large memory aware' was programmed into the TC.exe file.

Although the cause of the bug was never really pinpointed, I am tempted to think that the issue may be that with larger memory available to the TC program, the OS/TC does its housekeeping later and with increasingly big chunks of memory. So there is a greater risk of an available/useable memory glitch on entering or in busy sectors.

Some found disabling the large memory awareness switch to help, others upped pci latency, while some like myself find it better to keep things as they are for better game smoothness and to live with the occasional random bug which is normally recovered from by Alt/F4 and restart TC. Also see: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=242775

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”