Playing X3TC without my DVD in the Drive

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

AJR1
x3tc

Playing X3TC without my DVD in the Drive

Post by AJR1 » Sat, 18. Oct 08, 23:51

I've installed the game and played it for a little while, I have to say Egosoft have done a breathtakingly good job, this game is incredible!

But ..

My DVD is becoming extremely hot when its in the drive, and im concerned it might fracture or damage the media, therefore, If i boot the game with the DVD in and then take it out, will the game still work correctly?

I really dont like having the disc in to play, I've bought it, and registered it, surely for us legitimate users, there should be a patch to remove the protection.
AJ

EventHorizon
x4

Re: Playing X3TC without my DVD in the Drive

Post by EventHorizon » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 00:19

AJR1 wrote:I've installed the game and played it for a little while, I have to say Egosoft have done a breathtakingly good job, this game is incredible!

But ..

My DVD is becoming extremely hot when its in the drive, and im concerned it might fracture or damage the media, therefore, If i boot the game with the DVD in and then take it out, will the game still work correctly?

I really dont like having the disc in to play, I've bought it, and registered it, surely for us legitimate users, there should be a patch to remove the protection.
Proving the point once again that people don't research before asking questions :roll:

No there is no a no-DVD patch, but it has been confirmed that (like X2 and X3: Reunion) there will be a no-DVD patch later in the products life cycle. Traditionally this has been about a year into the products life.
Windows 10 x64
Intel i5 4460
16 GB DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel
AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB
Saitek X52

Garner1
x3

Post by Garner1 » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 01:38

This is exactly why I buy everything on Steam or Impluse... no discs for anything anymore!

AJR1
x3tc

Re: Playing X3TC without my DVD in the Drive

Post by AJR1 » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 01:45

EventHorizon wrote: No there is no a no-DVD patch, but it has been confirmed that (like X2 and X3: Reunion) there will be a no-DVD patch later in the products life cycle. Traditionally this has been about a year into the products life.
A Year!?!

What the hell am i meant to do if my CD is damaged before then.
AJ

Lobsang1979
x3tc

Post by Lobsang1979 » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 02:01

After a quick search on Google I could find no reports of Tages damaging peoples' game media. So hopefully there should be no issue with the Terran Conflict DVDs either! However, for obvious reasons, there is no way to play the game without the DVD in the drive.
Extraterrestrials must have no sense of humour, or there would be more cattle circles and crop mutilations...

AJR1
x3tc

Post by AJR1 » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 04:38

Lobsang1979 wrote: However, for obvious reasons, there is no way to play the game without the DVD in the drive.
Other than the fact that as a customer who has paid for the game, i might actually be able to play the game without the DVD in the drive.

The DVD wont be damaged by TAGES Protection being on the disc, anybody with an ounce of common sense would know that the Protection will not damage the disc.

What i'm concerned about is the heat generated from the DVD being in the drive all the time, will eventually cause the disc to weaken and shatter.

I want to keep the original pristine, so that if i ever need to re-install my game i know that the original media is reliable.

Its quite a simple and perfectly reasnoble request, once you've purchased the game, and verified that you own the copy by registering online your key code, you're then able to recieve a no dvd patch and play the game without the disc.

Counter measures to piracy quite simply dont work, and never will work, all it serves to do is inconvenience the paying customer, like me.
AJ

cutterjohn
xr

Post by cutterjohn » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 05:15

digital restrictions management is becomeing a M$ advertising tool as it obsoletes "older" M$ OSes faster than you can say "buddy can you spare a buck"... while entirely phailing to inconvenience the pirates.

(I'm a bit pissed as TAGES in The Witcher Enhanced Edition actually made me use XP, but only to run TWEE which I do so, so very extremely rarely as I use XP for nothing else as 99.99999% of my other games run in win2k and I do all of my real work in win2k or linux(which also runs more games including the crappy TAGES but I phailed to provide a large enough ext3 partition to load it with all of the games)).

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 05:18

People, please keep off the DRM subject.. The real issue is the heating of the disc, and any suggestions to prevent the undesired effects of regular heating/cooling of it..

Only thing I can advise is - do not try to cool the disc in a fridge or something - drastic temperature changes are never good, no matter in which direction..

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 06:11

i assume when u installed the game, u selected the options to install everything from the DVD ?

its not enabled by default and uses additional hard drive space, but it would reduce the amount of load put on the DVD

Dricks2222
x3tc

Post by Dricks2222 » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 08:39

Same here.

I've chosen to install videos on the HD in the hope i can play without the DvD.
But it's not the case and i can hear it spinning all the time. Hate that.
I hope there will be an unofficial nocd/nodvd patch soon.

I dont understand why there is a Tages activation protection AND why i still need to let the DvD in the drive?
At least, Mass Effect didn't asked me for the DvD, which i think was a really kind decision.

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 08:44

Just a friendly reminder - the so-called "unofficial nodvd-patches" are not legal regardless of what and how many games you have.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 08:48

if you check the "how to" about how tages is working, you will see that it is useless to use a no-dvd patch for x3-tc ... since you will end up in a dead end for sure

tages is a nice copy protection system, i like it :)
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

fredmxm354
x4

dvd overheating

Post by fredmxm354 » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 08:49

I chose to install the large videos so that there is a little access to the disk and therefore the best possible performance for the game itself.

After a 9 hour bash at TC I removed the disk and it was no warmer than normal, so I assume you didn't copy the large videos to your hard drive, your drive is warmer than normal or your PC is running warmer and inadvertently warming the disk after extended play.

Also, on the subject of no-cd patches I highly doubt they will become available, to abide by the forum rules I will not say anymore on the no-cd subject.

Does this happen with any other games?

This will answer whether its just an X³TC problem or not.

Dricks2222
x3tc

Post by Dricks2222 » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 09:58

It's almost (but not quite completely) funny because after reading this thread, i launched X3TC and it said 'insert DVD blabla'.
But wait, the DvD is already there???
I checked, it's there.
Relaunch => same thing.

Remove the DvD again, put it again, and this times, it worked.
I personnally don't think i'll like this protection a long time (if it's legal to not like a protection, i mean, i dont want to hurt any lawyer sensibility :wink:)

AJR1
x3tc

Post by AJR1 » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 13:42

i assume when u installed the game, u selected the options to install everything from the DVD ?

its not enabled by default and uses additional hard drive space, but it would reduce the amount of load put on the DVD
Yes i installed the HD video files for precisely this reason, to reduce the load on the DVD disc in the drive, hoping that it wouldn't become as hot as i feared it would.
People, please keep off the DRM subject.. The real issue is the heating of the disc, and any suggestions to prevent the undesired effects of regular heating/cooling of it..

Only thing I can advise is - do not try to cool the disc in a fridge or something - drastic temperature changes are never good, no matter in which direction..
Let me make one thing clear, to both the moderators and administrators or even developers if they are reading this.

I absolutely advocate copy protection for publishers, its your property and you have a right to protect it, but if as consumers were going to advocate your right to protect your content, surely you should allow us therefore the same privilege and let us protect ours.

I'm not asking for the protection to be removed, im asking for Egosoft/Deepsilver to do the right thing by its paying customers and allow us to run the game without the original in the drive, which is a perfectly reasonable request.

TAGES isn't going to suddenly stem piracy, sure it might take them a little longer (a few days) but it will be circumvented, and those people who haven't paid for the game, get the enjoyment of just launching the game without any disc in the drive.

Yet, us who paid hard case £30.00 for it, wont have that pleasure, and we will be inconvenienced.

By all means protect your IP, its your right, but its also our right to protect our original game disc, and not have it damaged, or subjected to the above normal heat levels in our DVD Drives.

STEAM users dont require the disc in to play the game, surely Egosoft/Deepsilver can do something for those who prefer to have a physical copy of the game, for which we paid that little bit more.
I dont understand why there is a Tages activation protection AND why i still need to let the DvD in the drive?
At least, Mass Effect didn't asked me for the DvD, which i think was a really kind decision.
I have to agree.

Why do we need the DVD in the drive?

- I've installed the game
- I've verified that i own the game with my keycode online
- I've copied across a "full installation" including HD video files

I believe TAGES should grant you the following:

Scenario A) Either you can create a 1:1 Copy of the Original Game Disc

Scenario B) Or you can play without the DVD in the Drive

But not both scenarios, you either get to make a backup, where you need the disc in the drive, or you give up your backup to play without the DVD in the drive.
AJ

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 01:01

The sticky thread on copy protection is quite clear: no discussion of copy protection other than technical issues.

Since your question has been answered, this can head south.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”