Combat Training

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Woodman1000
x3tc

Combat Training

Post by Woodman1000 » Sat, 18. Oct 08, 19:13

The manual states:

It is highly recommended that you at least play through the combat training, whether you are new to the X-Universe or not, before progressing into the game proper.

Where can I find the combat training?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 02:00

Oh dear. The manual is wrong I'm afraid. At the time it was written the author assumed things would work the same way as in X3R, but in X3TC the training is in-game. Just ignore that particular suggestion and get stuck into the game. :)

TENGILL
x4

Post by TENGILL » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 08:39

And FYI: You find the combat trainer by targeting the combat scool station, then request communication and select the first name in the list.

davewave
x3

Post by davewave » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 10:19

just wanted to add something which i found really quite stupid here and that is that i started as a merchant who has no weapons on their mercury so doing the "combat" part of the training was a bit pointless. To a noob this may pose a problem, solution: just dock your discoverer ship to a station and swap ships
"Better to die on our feet then live on our knees"

shdwphnx
x4

Post by shdwphnx » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 10:42

In my case at least, the Discoverer also had no weapons (I am using the Steam version if that matters). I wound up just quitting out of the training and commencing to trade. This would have been a serious issue if I was new to the X-Universe (and since the Humble Merchant start is labeled as "Not All That Hard" for difficulty, it is naturally the one noobs will choose). I personally consider this a fairly serious bug.

MissBehave

Post by MissBehave » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 16:32

Geez!

I saw this game in Steam and decided to give it a try. Never played any of the X games before, or a space game like this either.

I decided to go for the merchant being as I am a complete nub. I would highly suggest, since those that download from steam have NO manual and rely on tutorials, that you don't have missions that require you to shoot an object when you don't have guns.

I'm enough of a nub that the only way I figured that out finally was reading this thread. It looks like an interesting game, however you really could use some better tutorials for new players that don't leave us scratching our head about receiving training missions we can't complete. Would be nice to have some training missions that acclimate a new player with a digital download as to how to get into various part of the game and control their ships.

It's like having me go kill some monster but cutting my arms off first. yay. :?

whitemithrandir
x4

Post by whitemithrandir » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 02:17

I saw this game in Steam and decided to give it a try. Never played any of the X games before, or a space game like this either.

I decided to go for the merchant being as I am a complete nub. I would highly suggest, since those that download from steam have NO manual and rely on tutorials, that you don't have missions that require you to shoot an object when you don't have guns.

I'm enough of a nub that the only way I figured that out finally was reading this thread. It looks like an interesting game, however you really could use some better tutorials for new players that don't leave us scratching our head about receiving training missions we can't complete. Would be nice to have some training missions that acclimate a new player with a digital download as to how to get into various part of the game and control their ships.
Hi! Not sure if non-egosoft people can respond to questions or not -

but I also purchased this game on Steam.

There is a pretty hefty manual located inside your install directory - under .../program files/steam/steamapps/common/egosoft/X3TC (or whatever you chose to name the directory). It's in PDF form. You can also view the manual online, here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2820/

Click on the "View Manual" selection to the right.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 02:39

MissBehave wrote:I decided to go for the merchant being as I am a complete nub. I would highly suggest, since those that download from steam have NO manual and rely on tutorials, that you don't have missions that require you to shoot an object when you don't have guns.

I'm enough of a nub that the only way I figured that out finally was reading this thread. It looks like an interesting game, however you really could use some better tutorials for new players that don't leave us scratching our head about receiving training missions we can't complete. Would be nice to have some training missions that acclimate a new player with a digital download as to how to get into various part of the game and control their ships
Er, there is a manual with the Steam version, and there are tutorial missions that explain basic flight features. The OP was referring to a separate tutorial that existed in a previous game, which was made redundant by the tutorial missions in this one.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”