Need help with grafic setup-3dAQC?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

HenryX

Need help with grafic setup-3dAQC?

Post by HenryX » Sat, 18. Oct 08, 15:51

Hi,

first one: What is 3DAQC, which is the only option in the in-game grafic setup.

second one: If I use a very high resolution eg, 1900x1200 with my widesreen monitor, do I actually need a high antialiasing and/or anisotropic filtering? I have the feeling there is not much difference when using a high resolution together with anisotropic filtering and antialiasing
and it slows down the frame rates signaficantly, if used all together.
Any suggestion for a good combination, when using a high resolution, is welcome, :)

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Sat, 18. Oct 08, 18:05

3DAQC is 3D Automatic Quality Control (IIRC) which basically will adjust settings on the fly to help with Graphical issues. the AA and AF i cant really comment on, im using 4x and 8x on a 8600 without any noticable slowdown. basically they smooth out edges and hide the 'rear' of things as i understand it.

Big_Mike_643
x3tc

Post by Big_Mike_643 » Sat, 18. Oct 08, 20:04

AA - Will smooth out jagged edges

AF - Filters textures making them look better. Specially noticeable at making metal textures look shiny.
Intel Core i5-3570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
4x 4GB Samsung DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX680
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

EventHorizon
x4

Re: Need help with grafic setup-3dAQC?

Post by EventHorizon » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 00:52

HenryX wrote:second one: If I use a very high resolution eg, 1900x1200 with my widesreen monitor, do I actually need a high antialiasing and/or anisotropic filtering?
Depending on the source you won't need AA, there is always benefit but at higher resolutions noticing it becomes harder...and the higher the resolution the more video RAM you need, add AA and it can really break the bank.

Same goes for AF, however this option does normally yield better results at larger resolutions. You'll have to experiment with different settings, I would start by using your monitors native resolution with no AA or AF...if it's nice and stable crank AA up a notch, then AF. But remember, while using both AA and AF will make the game look even better having both also crews up VRAM. What card do you have BTW?
Windows 10 x64
Intel i5 4460
16 GB DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel
AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB
Saitek X52

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”