*sigh* sounds issues in Vita still

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Litcube
xr

*sigh* sounds issues in Vita still

Post by Litcube » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 00:13

I'm pretty dissapointed with this. I thought that, given a year and a half since Vista's been out, that you guys would have fixed the sound issue.

There is no surround sound for this game in Vista.

Alchemy doesn't work (sound clipping issues, and serious sound buffer problems with quickly repetative sounds).

Will there be a patch to address Open AL? Come on guys. Vista's been out for a long time now.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 00:26

The sound works fine for me under Vista and there were no reports of problems such as those you describe from the various testers who tested it under Vista. If you have problems then you need to provide the information requested in the very first thread in this forum.

You seem to be under the impression that DirectX sound functionality doesn't work under Vista, which isn't the case. There are therefore no plans to change the entire sound engine to use OpenAL.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 00:28

Do you get 5.1 surround sound in this game on Vista? Does anyone else?

If it's confirmed that other people *can* get surround sound on Vista, I'll go through the process. But as far as I know, without OpenAL sound, it's a no go.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 00:32

Do you have sp1 for vista?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 00:33

Yes. But that's not the issue either.

Perhaps I should turn this thread into what settings people have found for Alchemy that actually work properly without clipping.

I'll start experimenting.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 00:46

I appear to have misread your post. I thought you were saying that you got sound artifacts, but now I look back you are saying that those were with Alchemy, and that your only problem with the sound without Alchemy is an apparent lack of 5.1 surround sound? Obviously fixing Alchemy is something Creative Labs needs to deal with, but you are right in saying that EAX functionality isn't supported under Vista without it. You should, however, get all of the sound features that are supported by DirectSound but don't require EAX.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 00:50

Yup, you're right. Problem is, the only surround sound in X3 is delivered by EAX, which, as you say, isn't supported by Vista. You can fudge it with Alchemy, but results are mixed.

I've tried monkeying with all the sounds here, and it's not looking good.

X3 has a habit of spamming voices ingame, such as when you're moving your mouse accross several menu options at once, you hear many clicks/beeps. If Alchemy recieves over 128 of those, the buffer fills, and you stop recieving the sound input on that channel until it clears, which appears to be random.

*sigh*. Back to XP, or does anyon else have any other ideas?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 01:35

What exactly are you defining as "surround sound"? Having spoken to someone who knows this stuff better than me, I'm am told that DirectSound should still be able to provide 3D sound effects in full surround even without EAX, plus whatever effects your driver supports with music and stereo positioning of 2D sounds.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 01:38

Probably the back speakers arnt used like if someones shooting u from behind the back speakers should be sounding off laser fires sfx from them. And enviromental effects etc.

Also he seems to indicate that x3 tc is filling up his cards buffer too quickly and its making sounds skip i.e not play if im right untill the buffer has enough room for new ones.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”