Sorry, search function disabled due to extreme server load

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SoothSayer
x4

Post by SoothSayer » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 22:44

Extra Search:
Don't know about your guyz, but I'm tired of seeing the same posts on the same questions time and time again. Although it's understandable that this is happening because there's not a "Extra Search" at the current moment.

How are those upgrades coming to fix this? (more processing power/more space/bigger pipe)

The lack of this function in it self is causing more server load due to the repeat posts. Hope your working on it...

RL
Last edited by SoothSayer on Fri, 4. Nov 05, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 22:46

Repeat posts do not create anything like the server load of running searches. If you don't like reading repeat posts, there is an easy answer: don't click on them.

SoothSayer
x4

Post by SoothSayer » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 22:50

Wow...that clears that up. Too bad they missed the point. WHERE IS THE SEARCH ENGINE.

(I had to spell it out. Sorry for those who got it the first time)

RL

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 4. Nov 05, 22:59

The answer to that is in the message you get when you click on it.

typod
x3tc

Post by typod » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 13:35

OK firstly sorry about getting on my soap box but....

IMHO that kind of sarcastic response is no answer for an Egosoft employee to give to a perfectly simple and reasonable question.

The search function is extremely useful for everybody especially for people new to the game like myself. Every BBS I have visited has had a search function and some of them are much larger than this one. If you have technical problems with your search fine, but at least have the decency to give us some more information or timescales. It is really a pain to have to scroll through a huge number of topics to attempt to find that one piece of information you need.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 14:09

If I had more information I would give it to you. All I know is that work has already been done and continues to be done, but on a forum of this size the search engine generates enormous load which it is extremely difficult to cater for during spikes in forum usage such as we are currently experiencing.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 15:35

Here's an idea.

Google allows you to only search a specific site.

This can be done 2 ways I can see: so to search here for topics about Argnu Beef, use the following search

Code: Select all

site:www.egosoft.com argnu beef

Da_Imp
x3tc

Post by Da_Imp » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 16:00

moggy2 wrote:Here's an idea.

This can be done 2 ways I can see: so to search here for topics about Argnu Beef, use the following search

I'm not sure google's webcrawlers actually visit the forum... I tried site:http://forum.egosoft.com bla
and it didn't return any results...

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 16:29

Or we could turn off the off topic forum :rofl:

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 17:08

Da_Imp wrote:
moggy2 wrote:Here's an idea.

I'm not sure google's webcrawlers actually visit the forum... I tried site:http://forum.egosoft.com bla
and it didn't return any results...
That I would imagine is because until very recently it was www.egosoft.com/x2/forums. The googlebot probably hasn't looked at forum.egosoft.com yet

doing site:egosoft.com argnu beef shows plenty of results

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Sun, 6. Nov 05, 18:24

This search offline problem is a pain I can live with for the time being.
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Sun, 6. Nov 05, 18:39

the search never worked very well anyway tbh

hopefully the work going into it will make it better, as long that it doesn't take focus away from the next patch :wink: :D
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

karvala
x3

Post by karvala » Sun, 6. Nov 05, 23:08

Given that these forums are the only sigificant source of information for X3 at the moment, and a lot of people need specific X3 information to cope with the myriad of issues that they encounter when trying to play it, the lack of working/useful search facility on here is EXTREMELY IRRITATING.

For example, I want to search for Terracorp HQ to see whether or not, as implied by the (dubious) manual, there is a Terracorp HQ in Home of Light, because I sure as hell can't find one and I've searched all over.

But of course, I can't search for the answer to that, because the search facility isn't working! :roll:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 6. Nov 05, 23:16

If the search engine were working, you would have got no results anyway as search terms of fewer than 3 characters were ignored for performance reasons. Even if you got past that little hurdle, you'd then find thousands of posts about X² (in which it very definitely was in Home of Light) and very few about X³. The problem with a forum with well over a million posts is that even if you search, the results are usually either too few or too many to be useful.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Request to turn the search back on!

Post by StoneLegionYT » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 06:22

Be nice to get the search functions on then it would hopfuly cutdown on double posts and I can go look at some old X2 Action on older posts.

I'm not sure if you guys need a new web server or what but without search it's like ripping everyones eyes out :(

Just an idea hope you can consider it maybe test out for a day or so.

Thanks.

DurAlvar
x3

Post by DurAlvar » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 06:42

Dude, its been discussed, the server is laggy enough without a search function eating tons of processing power. No, they dont need a new webserver, the forums will slow down in a month or so as the more casual X gamers who just picked up X3 disapear, then things will be back to normal. And the fact is that they hav already tested it - egosoft didnt cut the search function just to spite you, they did it because with all the new users and extra traffic, the server was slowing do unacceptable levels, thus they cut the search function.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 14:12

CBJ wrote:Repeat posts do not create anything like the server load of running searches. If you don't like reading repeat posts, there is an easy answer: don't click on them.
See thats just not fair how did I know was a repeat I did click search and oh I notice I could not find any other related posts.

And for using search engine you can't really without getting a html mod cuz of the dymestic php. Theres one out for VB witch is anazing not sure if theres a php one. Basicly makes it so search engines read every page and put on the net to a static url.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 14:40

Kane Hart wrote:See thats just not fair how did I know was a repeat I did click search and oh I notice I could not find any other related posts.
Eh? That post was already in this thread before you made your post and has nothing to do with yours. And if you read it carefully you will see that it did not make any criticism of people making a repeat post anyway.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 15:13

CBJ wrote:
Kane Hart wrote:See thats just not fair how did I know was a repeat I did click search and oh I notice I could not find any other related posts.
Eh? That post was already in this thread before you made your post and has nothing to do with yours. And if you read it carefully you will see that it did not make any criticism of people making a repeat post anyway.
Bah your right sorry :cry: I re read it and your saying you rather have repated posts rather then have search on cuz it does not cause as much lag :(

Return to “Off Topic English”