U.S. Presidential Election 2024

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

Re: U.S. Presidential Election 2024

Post by fiksal » Tue, 27. Feb 24, 18:52

chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 23. Feb 24, 15:23
. I for one lost all hope so far and just look for a nice place where I can turtle down for the next 40 years [~my lifespan left].
I think your hope is a bit too early.

In our present time we are dealing with fascism. 60 yrs ago US was openly okay considering some people as less than people. 80 years ago Europe had dealt with its fascism.

And that's just modern history.

We are better now, but we are not that far.

While turtling works, being ready or armed (depending where you live) is better over all.

Russians are for example professional turtle-rs when it comes to government, and look where that lead
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 6. Mar 24, 03:03

I am currently sitting in a school room for the Republican caucus in Utah. Here to vote for Haley. It is a truly stupid system, I came in at 6 pm and am now still here at 7 pm, waiting for the precinct chair to arrive. Why I can't just cast my ballot and leave, instead of waiting for a stupid meeting, is absurd. But, I recognize a large number of people from my church (more than half in the room), all of whom appear to be voting for Haley as well.

The caucus system is truly an attempt to subvert democracy, to concentrate political power in the hands of very few. But I would crawl over broken glass to vote for Haley over Trump. And I would walk through an active minefield to vote for Biden over Trump. But if it came down to a contest between Haley and Biden, I would be undecided.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 6. Mar 24, 04:43

@Falcrack, I just mailed my absentee ballot

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Wed, 6. Mar 24, 08:55

The American voting system just boggles my mind. In the UK(at least in the areas I've lived), every sub-sub-sub-region (call it a square mile or so) has it's own little borrowed voting centre, frequently churches, gyms, anywhere there's enough space to set up a table and couple of stands. I think the longest I've ever queued to vote was around 10 minutes, whilst normally it's pretty much immediate.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 6. Mar 24, 14:22

sometimes accidentally or intentionally, the American system did evolve from a system that only wanted the desired people to vote

every time I read news, there's always strong opposition to voting by mail, to opening new locations, to holiday for voting, to mandatory voting

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 6. Mar 24, 16:30

Bit of a long story incoming, my apologies in advance.

I went to the Utah Republican caucus last night, along with my wife and father-in-law. My intention was to go, drop off my ballot for Haley, and leave. But things didn't quite turn out the way I expected.

With the caucus system, the state is divided into several precincts (about 2300). Based on the number of precincts in my city, and the population size, I estimate our precinct was ~1500 people. If we assume maybe 1200 are eligible to vote, and 50% are registered Republican, that would be about 600 people, just for my precinct. You cannot mail in your ballot, it has to be hand delivered to the precinct chief in the meeting. You can have an absentee ballot printed in advance if you wish and have someone else deliver it for you, but if you don't go yourself to deliver it or have someone drop it off for you (like a spouse), your vote will not be counted. The meeting was scheduled from 6 pm to 9 pm. Whichever candidate wins the majority of votes in the precinct, that precinct vote goes toward that candidate.

Of my estimate of maybe 600 people that could have attended this meeting, there were about 30 people. Between absentee ballots and people attending in person, there were 35 votes counted. Not a great representation of democracy. If everyone who could have gone did go, we would have filled the whole school. But of course, attending is inconvenient, it is time consuming. Many obstacles in the way of all but the most committed to vote. It certainly was not widely advertised when and how people could attend this meeting. I should mention though that there were quite a few different precincts meeting at the school.

Beside the "presidential preference poll", the purpose of the meeting was to select the precinct chair, vice-chair, treasurer, secretary, and state delegates (2 per precinct) and county delegates (3 per precinct). You see, there is not actually a primary where all eligible voters get to choose the Republican candidates (which in this state is functionally equivalent to picking the winner). Only the delegates get to actually vote on who the nominees are, at the convention in Salt Lake City on April 27th. State delegates select nominees for state and federal office (like Senator, congress, and state legislature), and county delegates select nominees for county level office. From what I understand, the various candidates will contact and attempt to win over the delegates so they can become the nominees.

We showed up at 6 pm, and were alone in that classroom for the next half hour. Then slowly, others arrived. Most were familiar faces from my church. It felt like a church meeting just based on who I saw there. Most seemed to be, from their comments, supporters of Haley. The precinct chair finally showed up at 7 pm. There was an opening prayer, the pledge of allegiance, and then the Utah Republican platform was read. Then, there was the selection of the different precinct offices.

I didn't come into the meeting intending for this, but when it came time to ask who would be a nominee for state delegates, I raised my hand. I then gave an impromptu speech, where I indicated that my most important qualifications for a candidate was their honesty, integrity, thoughtfulness, virtue, and character. I also said that I was I was appalled at what had become of the Republican party over the last several years, with all the anger and contention and divisiveness. I didn't name Trump or Haley by name, however. I think most people there could deduce where I stood based on what I said.

There were 3 people in that meeting who were voted on for state delegate. Myself and another person I know from my church (I strongly suspect he is a Trump supporter) won the vote. So that means I will go to the convention in April, and along with about 4000 other delegates, select the Republican nominees for Utah.

At the end of the meeting, the final vote was counted up. 21 votes for Haley, 14 votes for Trump. Trump will still win Utah, but it felt good knowing that at least in my little corner of the state, among people I know and associate with, Trump was rejected in favor of someone with far greater sense and good character.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 6. Mar 24, 18:43

good stuff!

so the turn around of below 20% is something

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 6. Mar 24, 20:01

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 6. Mar 24, 18:43
good stuff!

so the turn around of below 20% is something
Turnout of all who would be eligible to participate in the Utah Republican caucus is probably below 5%. And of those, only those elected as delegates get to actually pick the Republican nominees. It is not really encouraging democracy.

Still, if and when candidates contact me, I feel like asking some pointed questions about their past and current support for Donald Trump.

The caucus system in Utah is responsible for a good man like Senator Bob Bennett, who had the gall to work with Democrats in a bipartisan manner to get things done, to lose the party nomination to the current Senator Mike Lee. If it had been a primary instead of caucus, I doubt Lee would have beaten Bennett for the nomination.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 9. Mar 24, 21:31

Looks like Trump has a very real chance of being reelected. The latest polls from The New York Times/Siena College, CBS News/YouGov, Fox News and The Wall Street Journal all gave Trump a higher percentage of the vote than Biden by margins ranging from 2 to 4 points.

It will be close (as usual), but short of something unexpected happening, I'm betting Trump will win. Kennedy might have had a shot, but Democrats have been deriding and trying to suppress him, even more than they have Trump. The virtually complete lack of options have given voters little choice, but to vote for the predetermined candidates. As seemingly always, it comes down not to a choice between two good options, but rather a choice between bad and worse.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 9. Mar 24, 22:29

I wonder what happens when Trump is president? Leave the NATO, withdraw any support for Ukranine? And what about Israel/Hamas and the tension in the Red Sea/Suez?

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 9. Mar 24, 22:42

euclid wrote:
Sat, 9. Mar 24, 22:29
I wonder what happens when Trump is president? Leave the NATO, withdraw any support for Ukranine? And what about Israel/Hamas and the tension in the Red Sea/Suez?
Trump claims that the Hamas invasion would never have happened if he were president. Same as his claims re. Ukraine. Otherwise, while he hasn't said much on the subject, it seems that Trump is in agreement with Israel on wiping Hamas off the face of the Earth.

We already know that Trump, being an isolationist, considers NATO to be a waste of U.S. money and that Europe must foot a greater part of the bill, or else he will try to remove the U.S. from NATO.

As for Ukraine, I think he will object to further funding and press Ukraine to accept loss of land in exchange for stopping the war. This means that Ukraine must not only win the war this year, but they probably will have to do so, with little support from the U.S. It's pretty clear to me, that European support, minus the U.S. does not spell success for Ukraine.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 10. Mar 24, 00:04

Bidens still the favourite to win. Polls don't tell the entire story or give all the stats that matter. You would need to do some digging and it still would be a guess.

Turkey is backing Hamas openly now.

To get extra votes Biden has to make some difficult choices. The US is currently setting up offshore aid for Gaza residents. Hamas won't do a ceasefire or honour one. Israel is still being attacked.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 10. Mar 24, 11:50

burger1 wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 24, 00:04
Hamas won't do a ceasefire or honour one. Israel is still being attacked.
Isn't it Isreal that's bombing the ever-living shit out of Gaza and refusing to stop, including attacking refugee camps and hospitals? Not defending Hamas but Isreal ain't exactly playing the part of the good guy in this either.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 10. Mar 24, 14:12

Observe wrote:
Sat, 9. Mar 24, 22:42

As for Ukraine, I think he will object to further funding and press Ukraine to accept loss of land in exchange for stopping the war. This means that Ukraine must not only win the war this year, but they probably will have to do so, with little support from the U.S. It's pretty clear to me, that European support, minus the U.S. does not spell success for Ukraine.
Oh yeah Trump is very clear on that and for years now repeated the "Russian world" fascist key points.

Ukraine needs to take gloves off. It's for a chat in another thread however

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 12. Mar 24, 14:17

So glad Jon Stewart has one of the Guest Presenter slots on The Daily Show. He just has a style that's... very enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJUl77rsFEw

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 17. Mar 24, 02:21

Donald Trump has threatened(?) that there will be a "bloodbath for the country" should he loose the election. I am curious to see how his wording evolves over the coming months, but these seems like he is preparing his followers for violence in the wake of the election should he loose. I am unsure however how many will follow him, given what happened on January 6.

Source: https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/1 ... r-00147453
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 17. Mar 24, 02:38

clakclak wrote:
Sun, 17. Mar 24, 02:21
...but these seems like he is preparing his followers for violence in the wake of the election should he loose. I am unsure however how many will follow him, given what happened on January 6.
I think it's safe to say that there will be violence should Trump lose. And yes, his words about a bloodbath are taken very seriously by the armed militia types who are his ardent followers. It is doubtful this will result in a full-on civil war, but anything is possible.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 17. Mar 24, 17:54

To be fair, it seems that the "bloodbath" Trump was talking about, was regarding the auto industry - not physical violence. As usual, the media circus persists in taking everything out of context. As such, it is becoming increasingly impossible to ascertain reality from media statements. This is equally true of both liberal and conservative news media. It's all about whipping everyone into a frenzy of fear and anger.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 17. Mar 24, 18:03

Good thing he never would be an agitator which causes bloodbaths and people loosing their lives* because of him. As he is such a nice guy he also never would use that rethoric in the first place after so bad things happened at the capitol. :roll:

It's just one small oopsie - nothing to see here. /s

*nbcnews.com - 4 dead, Congress evacuated, National Guard activated after pro-Trump rioters storm Capitol

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 17. Mar 24, 18:20

chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 17. Mar 24, 18:03
*nbcnews.com - 4 dead, Congress evacuated, National Guard activated after pro-Trump rioters storm Capitol
Out of the 4 people:
2 people fall down from scaffolding which they shouldn't climb
1 police officer died out of stroke/health issue unrelated to riot
1 person found out why you shouldn't try to bash the door with armed security on the other side

I'd say it's not a riot, more like darwinian comedy.
There are more violent soccer riots in Europe every year than this :D

Return to “Off Topic English”