X universe RPG tools

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

X universe RPG tools

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sun, 4. Feb 24, 20:20

Hi,
Im writing an RPG based in a universe very similar to the X Universe pre Albion prelude and I am looking for some free tools to help me keep track of NPCs, ships and sectors. Im fine for artwork and have no shortage of ideas but as the universe is expanding I am having trouble remembering who is where and at what stage of task completion they are.
There seem to be many world generators, map tools and npc tools for fantasy but very little for sci fi.
Can any of you guys point me in the right direction or advise please?

Cheers in advance
FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

clakclak
x3

Re: X universe RPG tools

Post by clakclak » Sun, 4. Feb 24, 22:31

Maybe a bit of an odd one, as it is a highly complex notpad rather than a world generator, but Obsidian is absolutely brilliant for stuff like this. It is completely free to use. Basically the way it works is that you create notes which can use the softwars syntax (which is really similar to what for example reddit uses) to, for example, include pictures, character sheets and, most importantly, cross references. Each note that cross references another note can then be viewed in an interactable grafic view that looks like this or, if you have a lot more notes, like this. Each of the dots is one note, for example a place description or character sheet.

Obsidian has the advantage (and drawback) that is highly moddable and you can do a LOT with it, which you might not be able to do in other notepad programs. Here is for example a D&D character sheet in Obsidian which someone created. It does take some time to learn it though, but to understand the basic functions you will not need more than 1 or 2 hours.

If you want to look into it, I can recommand this beginners guide.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Return to “Off Topic English”